Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Thank you Gary Alt! Best wishes in your retirement!

Old 12-21-2004, 11:43 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Thank you Gary Alt! Best wishes in your retirement!

and this is the typical supporter of Alt's programs...need I say anymore?
Old 12-21-2004, 12:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you are a typical Alt detractor, and IMHO, you are, nothing more needs to be said from this side either!
Old 12-21-2004, 12:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have not gone on the anti-Alt threads and countered every statement they make. If you are an Alt basher, why post here? I guess it is their right to do so, just as it is their right to shoot every last doe and BB in a low WMU and then blame Alt for allowing them to do it.
Old 12-21-2004, 01:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Great job and wish you well in your retirement, you've helped build a wonderful outdoors in PA. Go out and enjoy it!
Old 12-21-2004, 01:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Charlie P, your right there is a need for some cull bucks to be taken. I for one saw a 4.5 year old 6pnt this season with nearly a 20inch spread in Butler County (4pnt or better rule) and had to let him walk. Hopefully leaving the juniors and servicemen will help weed out some of them. But if we keep the AR, nature will eventually weed them out on its own. As the biggest, strongest, more superior deer will be doing the breeding just leaving the weaklings around which will slowly dissapear over time be it by the means of a predator or a vechile (most whitetails dont make it past the age 6 or 7 in the wild anyway). We keep the AR in place and manage the doe tags better, Pa has the potential to be a great place to deer hunt in about 10 years.
Old 12-21-2004, 02:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

We keep the AR in place and manage the doe tags better, Pa has the potential to be a great place to deer hunt in about 10 years.
Good point.
Old 12-21-2004, 02:23 PM
Fork Horn

I think everyone agrees with that point, keep AR drop HR. If there is a true need for HR in a WMU they by all means offer bonus tags but the the PGC needs to open it's eyes to the fact HR is not needed statewide
Old 12-21-2004, 02:31 PM

Not only is that going to make for smaller racks in the future, but its going to make for the bred does having less fawns and fawns in poor health which is still decreasing the herd.
Can you cite one fact, statisyic ,study or repot to support that claim ? Ihve yet to see one report where AR implemented on a statewide basis produced 2.5 buck that were bigger than the 2.5 buck in the same non-AR herd. In Miss. after 5 years the rack sizes actually decreased in the areas with the best habitat.

AR promotes the harvesting of the superior bucks in each age class and leaves the inferior buck to become dominant breeders. BTW, we had dominant breeding in PA long before AR was implemented . In 2002 ,before there were any bucks saved by AR, we harvested 53K 2.5+ buck. AR only increased that by 9K ,even though we harvested 85% of the buck that were carried over from 2002. That means AR only added 1 additional 2.5+ buck ,for every 5 SM, which is essentially meaningless.
Old 12-21-2004, 02:35 PM

I have not gone on the anti-Alt threads and countered every statement they make. If you are an Alt basher, why post here?
That is because you simply can't support you opinions with facts and have been proven to be wrong over and over again.

Can you cite a study that shows AR increased the average size of 2.5+ buck in any state where AR has been implemented statewide?
Old 12-21-2004, 03:27 PM

I believe he did a good job could have been better but was not that bad!

Quick Reply: Thank you Gary Alt! Best wishes in your retirement!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.