Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Thank you Gary Alt! Best wishes in your retirement!

Old 12-24-2004, 07:01 AM

Default RE: Thank you Gary Alt! Best wishes in your retirement!

It is simply common sense that if AR increases the percentage of buck in a herd , the percentage of bucks that are roadkills will increase.
So you would rather most of the herd be does so that they are killed by cars. You kill me.

We go to the Antler's for dinner every year on Saturday night then down to what used to be the West Pike Inn for a couple of cold ones. On Sunday we go to a hotel down the road to watch the Steeler game. We eat at a little diner on Friday and do our shopping for tools and groceries in Galeton. You couldn't get into the Antler's for dinner 5 years ago without waiting in line. Now there is no wait. You couldn't get a drink at the Inn before let alone find a table. Last year 8 of us sat at one table and the waitress actually came to us. There is vacancy at the hotel where we watch the Steeler game and no lines at the hardware and grocery stores. Although I've never been to Ulysses during the day we do spot up there at night. I'm pretty sure I know where your at from your directions. I got stuck up there a couple of years ago on an icy road at the stop sign on Loucks Mill Rd. We're closer than you think. I'll stop up next year just to say Hi. You wouldn't happen to know a guy named Clutch would you?
Old 12-24-2004, 08:34 AM

So are you saying the legal hunters are saving 1.5 buck so they can be shot by poachers and illegal hunters? BTW, we didn't see any 2 ,5+ buck even before the archery season and I only know of one buck that was harvested within a mile of where we hunt.
Old 12-24-2004, 08:37 AM

o you would rather most of the herd be does so that they are killed by cars. You kill me
No, you are resorting to plain sillines because you can't support your position with facts. I simply pointed out that the more bucks that are saved the more that are lost to non-hunting mortality ,such as roadkills, which reduces the number of legl buck available to be harvested.
Old 12-24-2004, 09:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Sillines is pointing to natural and vehicular mortality as a reason not to let some bucks live past their first season.
They aint ALL gonna die before next hunting season!!!!
Old 12-24-2004, 10:18 AM
Fork Horn

902 No I know no one by the name Clutch, and if you went to the Antlers on a Friday or Saturday evening for the land/seas buffet you must have been there right at 5 cause there is hardly a parking spot normally by 6. Try the Coach Inn for the buffet some people say that it is better...I don't know haven't been to it .
ulysses boro is dry as a bone, and I've lived around here most my life there is no stop sign on the Loucks Mills-Ulysses Rd, matter of fact it doesn't go over any mountain.
The West Pike is called the Pine Tree Inn now and I think the place your talking about watching football at is the OX Yoke INN.
If you're buying hardware an tool up here you're getting burned. go to a Home Depot down state everything costs 10% more up here than down state at my kid's house in Northampton co.
I don't get in many bars these days I quit drinking years ago!
Merry Christmas, ULYSSES
Merry Christmas
Old 12-24-2004, 10:26 AM

Personally I think it is silly not to acknowledge all the factors that contribute to lower harvests caused by AR. If AR saved 40K buck and there was 15% non-hunting adult male mortality , there would be 6,000 fewer legal buck just due to the increased non-hunting mortality. Then factor in the 2.5 buck that aren't AR legal and you have a better understanding of why ourbuck harvests droppped as much as they did.
Old 12-24-2004, 10:27 AM

The OX Yoke, that's it. We go to the Antlers around 7. Our camp is right off of Loucks Mill Rd. If you know Bill Jefferies, then you know where our camp is. I got stuck up the road somewhere near you. I thought it was on Loucks Mills.

Happy Holidays to EVERYONE. even deaddeer.
Old 12-24-2004, 10:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Lower harvests or not, i rather kill an older more mature buck every 5 years compared to whacking the first spike i see every season. Lets get rid of the AR because the buck are being killed by cars?? LOL, thats the funniest thing i've ever heard.

Mantis, your welcome down anytime. I don't know much farmland to hunt, but im sure i could find you a deer or 6 on some public land. As for the hunting getting better in Pa, i dunno where you herd that but if you ask deaddeer he'll tell you the ARs have promoted scrub bucks into the dominate breeders and every one buck has been run over by a giant truck.
Old 12-24-2004, 11:01 AM

Lower harvests or not, i rather kill an older more mature buck every 5 years compared to whacking the first spike i see every season. Lets get rid of the AR because the buck are being killed by cars?? LOL, thats the funniest thing i've ever heard.
In 2003 we harvested 62K, 2.5 + buck , which with 1 M hunters equates to 1 out of 16 hunters getting a 2.5 + buck. It also means the average hunter will only harvest a 2.5+ buck once every 16 years, not once every five years. Welcome back to the real world!!
Old 12-24-2004, 11:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm having no probelm, i've killed at least one 2.5+ 8pnt, three out of the last five seasons. I guess i don't wanna live in the real world since there are no bucks left in it, i'll just live in my own.

Quick Reply: Thank you Gary Alt! Best wishes in your retirement!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.