Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Thank you Gary Alt! Best wishes in your retirement!

Old 12-23-2004, 03:41 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Thank you Gary Alt! Best wishes in your retirement!

well they might be down in ANF but they sure ain't down here, I live pretty far from ANF, and get hammered from Oct-Thanksgving...and still no call on the cell...what you afraid of sonnie?

Pa Trophy; sure there's some big bucks around and I don't doubt your taxi has several bucks 120-140, but here in 3a and a little from 3B my Taxi whom lives just down the road from my home had 91 bucks brought in in 2003 this year he had 17 99% are local guys that do business with him, I'd say that's down pretty hard.
Old 12-23-2004, 04:13 PM

So with AR we saved say 90% of the 1.5 yr old buck and 15% of the 2.5 yr old buck. Where as before AR we were killing 80% of the 1.5 yr old buck.

Are you just being silly ,or do you really believe that? In 2002 AR failed to save 50% of the 1.5 buck and Alt said that AR only protected and additional 38K buck above what we would normally carryover. In 2001 we had approx. 190K, 1.5 buck and harvested 159K ,1.5 buck and in 2002 we harvested 113K ,a decrease of 46K. If one divide 46K by 190K ,we see AR really saved 24% of the 1.5 buck, not 90% as you claim.
Old 12-23-2004, 06:14 PM

81 cars on a 600 acre farm huh? Wow, that 600 acres means that is about the size of 300 football fields. Now, lets say that there are 100 hunters in those 81 cars and you are talking about each guy having a 100X150 yard chunk of land to hunt. Now, with 81 cars around here, you are talking more like 150 guys considering most people usually have a buddy with them, so, that would be each guy have 2 acres of land to themselves, in other words, a 100X100 yard chunk of property! Wow, pretty crowded

Now, as far as your taxidermist going from 91 bucks to 17 this year, that is an 82% decrease in deer. Either there is a new taxidermist in town, your taxidermist doesn't do too good of work, or that is a straight out lie!

deaddeer, you can keep spouting out these numbers, but fact is you are in a minority here, and all it takes is a few trips into the woods to see the differance. This year, I saw more bucks than ever before and they had bigger bodies and antlers. Doe numbers were down. Get out there and look around at some of the bucks killed in PA this year, and then I want to hear about how we are "killing the super genetic bucks" or how the "AR's are failing". You guys can say "a 130" buck killed this year, well, we had them that big before AR's", yeah, that is true, but we didn't have the number of them that we do know!
Old 12-23-2004, 06:53 PM

deaddeer, you can keep spouting out these numbers, but fact is you are in a minority here, and all it takes is a few trips into the woods to see the differance. This year, I saw more bucks than ever before and they had bigger bodies and antlers. Doe numbers were down. Get out there and look around at some of the bucks killed in PA this year, and then I want to hear about how we are "killing the super genetic bucks" or how the "AR's are failing". You guys can say "a 130" buck killed this year, well, we had them that big before AR's", yeah, that is true, but we didn't have the number of them that we do know
There is no question we have more 2.5 buck now that we did in previous years . But, according to the PGC we also have more deer than we ever had before. Now here are the cold hard facts from the PGC. In 2001 we harvested 44K,2.5+ buck and in 2002 before any bucks were save by AR we harvested 53 K 2.5+ buck. Then. in 2003 w harvested 62K 2.5 buck, which is an increase of 9 K, but at the same time our total buck harvest declined by 61K with an increasing herd. So 9K harvested a buck that was 1 year older while 61K other hunters didn't harvest a buck due to AR.

After 3 years of AR no one in our group of six hunters has seen a 2.5 buck that was saved by AR , and there wasn't one buck harvested within half a mile of where we hunt during rifle season. AR has done nothing to improve the quality of bucks in our area and about all it has done is increase the number of roadkilled buck.
Old 12-23-2004, 08:37 PM

I think AR has saved more than 24% of the 1.5 yr old buck. I have only seen 1 legal 1.5 yr old buck since AR. All the rest are spikes, forks or 6's of which I have seen a ton this year, so I'm pretty excited about next year. I threw the 90% figure out there because of the sightings myself and my buddies have seen. I know that number is not precise because of mistake kills, road kills and other factors, but that is what I and others have seen.

After 3 years of AR no one in our group of six hunters has seen a 2.5 buck that was saved by AR
How do you know that? Did you ask the buck what he was last year?

AR has done nothing to improve the quality of bucks in our area and about all it has done is increase the number of roadkilled buck.
So now AR's is the cause of raodkill. Come On now.

As for the 81 cars at Ulysses's farm, I really couldn't tell you, but the bars, restaurants and hotels have been dead these last couple of years. So unless eveyone in West Pike, Galeton, and Ulysses is hunting at his place I'd doubt there was that many desperate hunters that need to pack into his place. Our land along with the other camp's land isn't posted either and no one was hunting our place.
Old 12-24-2004, 05:32 AM
Typical Buck

I took a deer to a meat processing joint in PA last week and the women told me they were only down 10% from last year. I know of one PA taxidermist with tons of work. I’ve been reading this for some time and those opposed of HR and AR seam to be old school ignorant ol’boys set in their ways. If your not, be careful your coming across this way. If you are, fine with me I enjoy your company. I’m going to buy a PA license next year either way because I believe the hunting is getting better down there and I want to see it with my own eyes. Can I hunt your farm? Anyone?
Old 12-24-2004, 05:52 AM
Fork Horn

81 is what I said and I have video of it, now you can see why I post

902: I have serious doubts you even know where Ulysses is!!!!!!! Cause that statement about the bars being dead here is an out right lie.... the town of Ulysses is DRY BY LAW!!!! Don't try to talk about what you obviously know nothing about. As a matter of fact now a days about 50% of the local population is Amish. Next year why not drive up Lehman Hollow road, or Bladwin hollow Teed Hollow rd (you can get thru now the traffic is pretty light now that we post)
Old 12-24-2004, 06:03 AM

How do you know that? Did you ask the buck what he was last year?
I hunt farm county in SE PA and now 2.5 buck is going to be a small basket racked 6 or 8 pt. and we only saw one 6 pt. this year.

AR has done nothing to improve the quality of bucks in our area and about all it has done is increase the number of roadkilled buck.

So now AR's is the cause of raodkill. Come On now.
It is simply common sense that if AR increases the percentage of buck in a herd , the percentage of bucks that are roadkills will increase.
Old 12-24-2004, 06:07 AM

I believe the hunting is getting better down there and I want to see it with my own eyes. Can I hunt your farm? Anyone?
So you think hunting is getting better. Here are the buck harvest stats for the last few years.

2000-----203K
2001-----203k
2002-----165K
2003-----142K.

Better check the 2004 havest data before you but that license.
Old 12-24-2004, 06:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

deaddeer, if you saw no 2.5 year old bucks then people are shooting them. They all ain't dying of natural causes. Plain and simple.
In my area last year I saw something like 15 sub legal bucks, did I see 15, or even 10 2.5 year olds this year....NO. People shoot them and count points later. Is this reason to scrap an entire philosophy....NO.
This year I saw 5 beautiful 6 pts(I'm in 4 pt area) There is no way 2, let alone 4-5 will have made it thru the season with the type of hunters in my area. Not to mention any kid who could take them legally.

Quick Reply: Thank you Gary Alt! Best wishes in your retirement!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.