Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Pittsburgh suburb gets OK for sharpshooting deer...

Old 12-15-2004, 01:17 PM

Default Pittsburgh suburb gets OK for sharpshooting deer...

Sorry if this was posted before...

What do you all think of this? If I lived in the area I'm not sure I would like the idea of sharpshooters crawling around the neighborhood in the wee hours of the night.

Upper St. Clair deer report pdf
Post Gazette news story
Old 12-15-2004, 02:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Pittsburgh suburb gets OK for sharpshooting deer...

The place is somewhat near me. We call it Uppity St. Clair. The high classers that live there can't tolerate hunting or hunters. They love their deer, until their high priced gardens go bye-bye one night. They would rather bait them to a spot and snipe them than to let some working class Joe have a little recreation. The landowners will not grant permission to hunters to hunt their land, so the municipality does this every so often to squash the population.......sad.
Old 12-15-2004, 02:17 PM

Another sad case of folks not understanding mother nature
Old 12-15-2004, 02:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

They've been doing it in Fox Chapel for years on top of the bowhunting program. Fox Chapel pretty much leaves things alone where the archers have been effective. They only sharpshoot in places where archers cant hunt or havent killed enough deer.
I have bowhunted Fox Chapel for 10 years with this going on and although it's a last resort, it was their only option. As a result, the bowhunting program has continued to be view favorably by the residents.
Old 12-15-2004, 03:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here is one part of the .pdf that I found interesting:

The steadily increasing number of deer-vehicle collisions along Route 19 coupled with a modest area
specific success of the archery program in Boyce-Mayview indicate a need for stronger deer control
mechanisms than have been previously employed. The cost of alternatives such as PZP (if permitted),
and fencing appear to be prohibitively high. As such, the Commissioners should contemplate
supplementing current deer control efforts with a controlled culling (sharpshooting) program along the
lines of the one instituted by the Borough of Fox Chapel. If instituted, all culling should take place
between the hours of 12 am and 6 am. The deer culled would be distributed to food kitchens. In the
interest of resident safety, the Township should ensure that prospective deer control agents meet all
requirements and background checks imposed by the Police Department. Alternatively, the
sharpshooting could be restricted to one or several Upper St. Clair police officers as is done in Fox
Chapel. Please refer to Appendix A for a summary of the results of the deer management program in
Fox Chapel.
Another:

Controlled Archery Hunts
The basic purpose and philosophy of Whitetail Management Associates South (WMAS) is wildlife
management in urban areas that are experiencing problems due to whitetail deer overpopulation. The
WMAS has been conducting controlled archery hunts on the Boyce-Mayview property since 1998. The
Township, in conjunction with WMAS, developed a number of strict regulations to ensure the safety of
the residents of Upper St. Clair. For example, any potential member previously convicted of any state
game law violation or any felony criminal conviction is considered ineligible for membership. All
applicants have a background test conducted by the Upper St. Clair Police Department. Archers may
join the program only after successfully completing a proficiency test. To increase safety, hunting is
permitted from elevated stands only. In 2003, the WMAS archery season resulted in a total harvest of
34 deer. Of these, 28 were antlerless and 6 were antlered. For an overall synopsis of the progress made
by WMAS since 1998, please refer to section II b.
The Township continues to see a high number of deer-vehicle collisions despite the controlled archery
program at Boyce-Mayview. The limited impact of the archery program may be attributed to the fact
that approximately three-quarters of the Township cannot easily avail of the archery culling approach
adopted at Boyce-Mayview.
From that last quote, they already have an archery culling program that just isn't working.

Interesting read. Thanks for the info.
Old 12-15-2004, 03:14 PM

What do they do with the meat ? Hopefully they donate it ....
Old 12-15-2004, 03:39 PM

Yes, they usually donate the meat. We have had sharpshooters in our town for many years here in S central pa. and it has really improved things. Deer problems for the residents is not a problem, and they are not calling thier senators and state reps asking for herd reductions statewide anymore because they have gotten their local problem solved with sharpshooters. Its great.

someone said they did not want a trained professional sharpshooter in their backyard culling deer? what do you want an untrained yahoo bowhunter in your neighborhood shooting deer in broad day light?

Yea, that is what our sport needs[:@]. A nice yuppy nonhunter family sitting at the dinner table and a deer runs by with a broadhead sticking out with blood. And the kids say "look mom a deer, and its bleeding" ??? GREAT for our reputation huh?

Our sharpshooters are there till the job is done and are in no hurry (unlike hunters who have limited time and will push thier shots). They sometimes shoot from elevated platforms so thier shots are more likely to go into the ground. they use rifles for a pretty efficient kill. And if the shot ain't right they will get him the next night, no need to rush. And the kids on the swingset aren't watching dying deer running around thrashing in thier sand box.

Been doing it for years.

By addressing this overpopulation in an area that would most likely not been condusive to normal daytime hunting, they have eliminated the problem for the time being. They only do it every few years. And things are much better for everyone involved.
Old 12-15-2004, 03:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yea, that is what our sport needs . A nice yuppy nonhunter family sitting at the dinner table and a deer runs by with a broadhead sticking out with blood. And the kids say "look mom a deer, and its bleeding" ??? GREAT for our reputation huh?
You obviously know very little about a well run suburban bowhunting program. The program I've been in has had a stellar track record and the PETA types have long since walked away because the program is so popular with the residents. Once in awhile an anti spouts off only to be shouted down overwhelmingly by the happy residents.

The blood and gore scenario you just laid out is a PETA type fantasy, nothing more.
Old 12-15-2004, 05:33 PM

It is a very real issue, and that is why several communities have opted to use professional sharpshooters and not amateur bow hunters. As did mine.

Your attempt to slime my comments by making a reference to PETA shows your lack of character.

Nobody says you can't try Bowhunting in kids backyards as way of trying to control deer numbers. But it is not as effective as sharpshooters.
Old 12-15-2004, 08:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Your attempt to slime my comments by making a reference to PETA shows your lack of character
Slime? your comments were pure slime! The one other place I've heard such slime was from the PETA types describing their fantasy scenario of suburban bowhunting

Once again, you really should check your facts before you spout. The PGC will not allow sharpshooting without the municipality first attempting to utilize a legal hunting program.

Quick Reply: Pittsburgh suburb gets OK for sharpshooting deer...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.