Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

I MISSED!!!

Old 12-13-2004, 11:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default I MISSED!!!

After spending all of the last day of PA rifle season in my treestand I finally see some movement. It materializes into a deer. I check out the headgear and get ready for a shot. I follow it in my scope for about 10 minutes. When it finally steps into an opening - BOOM. 50 yards, broadside and with a perfect rest. How could I have missed? I was shooting 1" 100 yard groups with the same rifle from the bench. I finally figured it out. After I finally got the deer's chest in the crosshairs, I decided to be the spectator instead of the participant. Instead of squeezing the trigger while I looked through the scope, I put the crosshairs on the deer's chest and yanked the trigger while I looked over the scope. I was so anxious that I wanted to watch the deer go down instead of following through with the shot. A rookie mistake to be sure. Sorry Dr. Alt, one more doe that will live through the year.
Old 12-13-2004, 02:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: I MISSED!!!

I did the same thing with a "trophy" doe opening morning here in MA w/ the shotgun.
It happens...
Old 12-13-2004, 02:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

Oh no and 50 yards
Old 12-13-2004, 03:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

On the 3rd saturday of archery season, I had a really really (he gets bigger with time) nice, really odd looking 8-10 point walk right under my stand. Well, after I had him at the taxidermist, but before I actually fired the arrow, I just yanked the release and grazed him right at the base of the leg at no more than 10 yards. Yep... 10 yards. More like 5 yards.

I nicked his armpit and bruised my ego irreparably. I wound up taking a pretty nice buck, but nothing like the big one that got away.

I think I was too high up the tree, shooting downward at an extreme angle, but that's all Monday morning quarterback stuff.

The highest of highs and the lowest of lows... that's why we go, right?

Do you call the deer names after you miss 'em?? I cursed that buck like a sailor. Kinda funny, lookin' back.
Old 12-13-2004, 06:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Do you call the deer names after you miss 'em??
No - I called myself names. I looked around for 3 hours because I refused to admit I missed. I had my dad walking around the area as I directed him from the treestand. I just couldn't see how I could have missed. I know how I did, but it just didn't seem possible at the time. I was sure it would be laying stone dead when I walked up to it. Not a hair......
Old 12-14-2004, 07:44 PM
Typical Buck

I feel your pain. I missed 3 times this season on shots i should have made. Dont know how i did it, im still kicking myself. Its on of the worst feelings in the world. Specially when they are really close. But i guess a clean miss is better than a bad hit.
Old 12-15-2004, 08:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Scott, were you shooting the "Wal-Mart Special"...[]
Old 12-15-2004, 11:22 AM

I check out the headgear and get ready for a shot.
Sorry Dr. Alt, one more doe that will live through the year
Not to nit pick but was it a buck or a doe? Just curious.
Old 12-15-2004, 11:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

It was a doe, he was checking it's head to make sure. I'm only assuming, but he got his buck in archery so it only makes sense.
Old 12-15-2004, 11:51 AM

happens to the best of us. dont feel too bad ...take solice in that you didnt wound her.

Quick Reply: I MISSED!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.