Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

I believe now I have a picture of a Cougar!!!!

Old 12-18-2004, 12:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: I believe now I have a picture of a Cougar!!!!

Hey Cougar you stated you have red wolf coyote mixed packs around your house right?

Where did the Red wolfs come from? Status: Endangered. Population: Once hunted to the brink of extinction, in 1980 fewer than 20 wolves were rounded up by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service to be bred in captivity. The wolves were officially declared extinct in the wild. By 1987, enough animals had been bred to begin a reintroduction program. Thanks to these programs, there are currently 50 to 80 red wolves in the wild.

Threats: Threats to the red wolf include habitat loss because of human development and illegal hunting.

Survival: It is estimated that red wolves live four years in the wild and up to 14 years in captivity.

some more info:Southeast and SouthCentral United States.That's a pretty long commute to breed with Coyotes in Albany isn't it? Early this century the Red wolf lived as far north as Pennsylvania, as far south as Florida and as west as central Texas.Fact is red wolfs have never lived in this area of the country. Must have been those black helicopters again eh?
Biome: Temperate deciduous forest
Habitat: The last remaining Red wolves live in coastal prairie and marsh areas. Red wolves need between 10 and 100 square miles of habitat to hunt and live.
Diet: Red wolves prefer to eat white-tailed deer and raccoon, but will eat any available small animal.

IUCN Status: ENDANGERED
Pure Red wolves are thought to be extinct in the wild. You sure about this??
Old 12-18-2004, 06:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Charlie P

So you have Cougars at the fence line and coyote red wolf mixed attack packs trying to lure your dogs away.You wear a tin foil hat by any chance?

POW !! LMAO!

charlie, i hunt 10-12hrs a day every single day from sept to now. i saw a bobcat (HUGE!) and a MONSTER coyote and a BIG ol fisher. IF i was inexperinced, my first impression would be " theres a cougar!" . they look, i dont know, "out of place " when youre used to seeing deer, turkeys and squirrels all day.

BTW, that big ol bobcat had to be damn near 40 lbs. i will get him after bow season

but , i live and hunt on the border of greene and albany county, and there just arent any mountain lions around here. there was some jackass in coeymans hollow that had a PET one for years, he used to walk it on a leash and scare us when we were kids. it got loose (or he let it loose) a few times a year ... this is going back 20 years though.

and as far as RED WOLVES go, they are unique to mexico, texas and arizona, very rare, and not happenin around here. theres no "coydogs", either...they are eastern coyotes, and yes they are big and bold...ive seen em run deer, sheep, other dogs and cats...

if youre in the albany area, buzz me . i'll buy you a beer for the "tinfoil hat " comment

-moose
Old 12-18-2004, 07:49 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-18-2004, 07:55 PM

LOL!!! What Christmas Angels you "2 "are, because you just know everything! I'll be back with the facts after the Holidays!.........LMAO.
Old 12-19-2004, 07:21 AM
Boone & Crockett

You seen any Bigfoot up there?

HEY now we're talking!!!!!!!!!!!! You dont' wanna argue this with me cause I knows da truth about bigfoot!
Old 12-20-2004, 07:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

LOL!!! What Christmas Angels you "2 "are, because you just know everything! I'll be back with the facts after the Holidays!.........LMAO.
Does that mean you don't want me to stop by on the 26th?
Old 12-27-2004, 06:56 PM

Happy Holidays to all So we are back..........ok CharlieP and to all that need some wolf/coyote facts please read this should verify the RED WOLF
But be careful you may learn something else you can not except!

http://www.masslive.com/search/index...96061.xml?lnfe
Old 12-27-2004, 09:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

happy holidays to you too.!

quote"In addition, the genes in New York's and Maine's coyotes were closest to those of the red wolf"

note the use of the word closest. closest. not a red wolf, but close.

interesting read, i'll give you that.

if you want to split hairs, every dog on the planet from dobermans, pugs and beagles to lhaso ahpsos, pitbulls and pomeranians are decended from wolves. cavemen domesticated and bred traits into them about 1.5 million years ago.

i saw it on the discovery channel, so it HAS to be true.

a guy did kill a wolf 2 years ago in ny, it was confirmed with dna. there was a good article about it in the times union.

WHY EASTERN COYOTES ARE BIGGER:
the farther away from the equator an animal is , the larger body mass will be to survive extreme temperatures.
hence, alaskan bears are bigger than montana bears, canadian deer are bigger than florida deer, etc...

but , to get back on track, please please please, if you have a coyote/cougar problem, give me the green light to come up to your property and clear em out. i got an awesome infared light for my AR-15 and a digital caller. I'd thoroughly enjoy it, and then you'd have your proof! (i am serious)

how many hundreds of thousands of hunters were afield in ny? and NO ONE whacked / trapped/ photoed/ a cougar? they're not heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeere................
Old 12-28-2004, 07:45 AM

They are almost as scarce as Elmer Fudd hammering up a 2x4 treestand the day before gun season.
Old 12-28-2004, 09:00 AM

Sorry i couldn't resist that comment, just a dig on all them elmer fudds out there slinging slugs around that only spend time in the woods when they can carry a gun on weekends that never go out in the woods that live in NYC or trenton that keep a "hunting cabin" locked up for 11.5 monthes of the year and never visit it if it aint huntin season. "hunters"

mmmmm K, that's why i quit hunting, damn elmer fudds. I'm not gonna risk my life for some idiot. The day you have slugs ripping through branches within feet of you .....well you can make whatever choices you want when that happens.

I thought the best part of that whole article was this...............

They concluded that the New York coyote, unlike the Western coyote, carried some genes of the Eastern Canadian wolf, that the Eastern coyote was a wolf-coyote HYBRID.

Since then, a similar DNA study was done of 108 coyotes captured in Maine. It found three categories of coyotes. The first and largest group contained a mix of genes common to Western coyotes and the wolves of eastern Canada. A small second group had a genetic make-up similar to that of Western coyotes. And a small third group had a genetic makeup more in common with Eastern Canadian wolves.

.........So what are the ones, granted the smallest group of what was tested, to be called as they would be closest related to a wolf but have yote genes in them?????

Back to the cougars........

The cougar network radio collared a young male cougar from the black hills of south dakota lat last winter/early spring. Well since collared it has traveled over 450 miles from there and is now located in minnisota as of dec 23rd.

Dec 3rd or 4th a 90 pound male cougar was found dead in illinois that had been hit/shot with a bow, that's an easy 9 month jaunt to NY.

Granted those are just in midwest and still a ways from NY but that collared young male had no problem covering 450 miles in 9 monthes and continuing his way eastward. How far might one "stroll" throughout their lifespan. NY aint but another 9 10 monthes away if he keeps going the way he's going.

They have thoroughly spread from the western states into the plains states and have light breeding populations throughout the the mid plains states, FACT. Scientists speculate that they will have thoroughly reintroduced themselves "natuarally" from western populations up to the missippi river within 10 years and are close to that now however light a population they have, FACT. Many biologists that are studying the sceintific facts of it state they will reintroduce themselves "naturally" into the rest of the eastern states within 10 years after that being the habitat is so perfect for them and they are naturally going to spread in search of good habitat and food of which we got plenty. If they are not here yet....... the WILL be within 10 years naturally FACT. Believe it or not, look up the scientific facts or not, ignorance or scientific facts ......you choose.

It is speculated that western cougar populations are currently over 55,000 throughout it's natural known range out west. And it's thought that current cougar populations out west are higher than when columbus discovered the americas.

I just don't understand why people can't accept that there is a slim chance that there MAY be a small handfull of cougars roaming the greater interiors of NY and PA right now.

So why is it so hard to accept that there might be a handfull around and that if i see it in my backyard on tuesday that it aint in PA. by friday, border is only about 30 miles from the house? I didn't know that animals know where state borders are and they don't have permission to cross them and how do they obtain border crossing permits? [:-]

And out of all them so called hunters, how many of them actually get off their a$$ and spend any time in the woods if it aint hunting season. I bet that is a very very high percentage and way over 65%. Hell how many city hunters buy camps and keep them locked up and never visit them until it's time to bust out the guns. We don't ever hear about them hunter .....nooooooo never. they are wives tales and as ellusive as cougars. all hunters are actually hunters and not just gun weilding outdoor knuckleheads from the city.

If they don't see it during hunting season when all the animals are spooked due to high volumes of Fudd's tromping around in the woods smoking, hammering, crashing through thicket, and pushing things around that doen't want to be seen...... well they must not be there then. After all they only spent 6 weekends in the woods.......12 days at best out of 365.

Boy that holds some scentific validity.

I'll see if I can't post my picture of a cougar that's on par with this thread, I'll admit it is a good laugh guys. I got myself probably the one and only last living saber tooth maine coon cougars left on the planet. Found the remnants of his kill in the kitchen just the other day. Nothing left but a mouse tail and a blood mess where he dined. I walked into the kitchen and seen him cleaning his face and licking his chops circling the tail like a trophy. He's a big one...... must be a 20 pounder and them sabers make short order of them house hold feild mices.

Hope everyone had a good safe holiday, rookie night yet to come. Have a good new years....... stay aware play with care.

Quick Reply: I believe now I have a picture of a Cougar!!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.