Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

No Hunting on Sunday in PA.....Why?

Old 12-05-2004, 07:00 PM

Default No Hunting on Sunday in PA.....Why?

I grew up a military brat and hunted in states all over the South East, I've never heard of not hunting on Sundays. Does anyone know what the reason is? Are the deer in Church? Is it a religous thing? I would bet that most of us have Monday thru Friday jobs, which leaves the weekend. If the same non-hunters that are trapsing around under my stand on hunting days can still use the woods on Sunday, why can't I hunt on Sunday.

I did hear a rumor about the possibility of this law going away. Has anyone heard that too? I don't want to be a complaining PA hunter like BM suggests, but is this an issue that anyone else cares about pushing?
Old 12-05-2004, 07:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: No Hunting on Sunday in PA.....Why?

I go to school full time, so if sunday hunting was allowed, that would be a good thing. I doubt it will ever change soon.
Old 12-05-2004, 08:28 PM

Sunday hunting in pa today has little to do with religion. IMO, nothing to do with it. Pa is blessed with a ton of ecoweenies who also use Pa's huge numbers of public acres (most other states do not hold a candle to Pa in public hunting areas) With 2.5 million in state forest, 1.4 million in SGL and ANF under the feds we have alot of people who enjoy the outdoors who are not hunters. We also have the Penna Farm Bureau, which if you have never looked into, is a powerfull lobby in our farming state. Its just one day that the overall public does not have to deal with hunters, and it just happens to be on Sunday.

Today, when the discussion is had over hunting on sunday, there are no religous groups who are opposed. The opposition comes from PFB, and people who enjoy the luxury of not having hunters in the woods on one of the days of the weekend. Simple competition for the use of the lands from nonhunters.

If you have heard that Sunday hunting is coming to Pa, then you are a wishfull thinker. Even the largest pa sportsmans organization the Pa Federation of Sportsmans clubs does not support it, let alone the 11 million + non hunters who will weigh in on the subject before it would be passed. Thier recent vote this fall gave sunday hunting only 40% support amongst hunters of the PFSC.

I would like to hunt on Sunday, but its not something that we are going to see soon in Pa. It has been attemped every year that I can remember. Each year a state rep who wants to make some political hay with sportsman puts up a bill that languishes in committee and dies before ever getting out of committee. Lobbiests laugh when you say "this is the year". They get a chuckle out of that one.

Every state is different, and each finds its own path to travel.

Pa is in a constant balancing act of appeasing special interest groups. The legislature is not anxious to upset that balance.
Old 12-06-2004, 09:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've always thought that Pennsylvanians struggled to understand the separation of church and state, but Chickory brings up an interesting point.

With the rulemaking procedures in place, it would be VERY hard to get such a bill passed, especially in light of PA's huge populace and the non-hunting public view of hunting.

I think that the lack of a sunday hunt is ridiculous. It's this simple to me: Hunters spend millions, and they're off only two days/wk - usually Sat-Sun. Why then must the hunting be banned for 50% of our free time.

Another peeve of mine: why does buck and bear season begin on a Monday?? They want kids and newbies involved - why not start it on a day when THEY CAN GO???? (Saturday).

If it's really all about the Benjamins (which I believe is the case)- why not drum up some extra license sales and piquing new interest.

I'd buy a bear license if I could hunt 'em on a weekend. (no buck season bear hunting in my neck of the woods)
Old 12-06-2004, 10:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

why does buck and bear season begin on a Monday??
I've often wondered this myself. The one thing I like about it is that all the hikers, mountain bikers, dog walkers, cross-country skiers, snowmobilers, etc. are not in the woods. I doubt that's what it's about, though. Back when we had a separate doe season, that started on a Monday.
Old 12-06-2004, 11:04 AM

WE HAVE GOT THE SAME PROBLEM IN MA. THEY JUST PAST PACKAGE STORES OPEN ON SUNDAY WHY NOT HUNTING ITS THE SPORTMEN WHO PAY FOR ALLTHIS LAND AND WILDLIFE MAN. SOME PEOPLE CAN ONLY HUNT ON WEEKENDS DO TO WORK ,I HOPE ONE DAY SUNDAY HUNTING WILL PASS UNTILL THEN WE LOSE HUNTERS TO DIFFRENT STATES , NOT A BAD THING CAUSE ITS BRING MONEY TO THAT STATE,FOR WILDLIFE MANAGEMENT, BUT ONE DAY I HOPE FOR SUNDAYS I GUESS WE HAVE TO KEEP ARE FINGERS CROSS , GOOD LUCK THIS YEAR AND BE SAFE!!!!
Old 12-06-2004, 04:15 PM

Hard to say religion doesn't play a role when members of the G&F Committee like Denlinger openly state that as a reason and even Chairman Smith has made remarks about religious groups opposing the issue on PCNTV and about a need to respect those who worship on Sunday as if our laws shouldn't equally respect those who worship on other days.

As for the Farm Bureau, they too have publicly stated time and again how religious reasons are the major issue for many members. If you dig up the reports on their mid-summer testimony to the AG Committee, you'll also see more than one comment from other Representatives on that Committee supporting the Farm Bureau's position on the ban for religious reasons.

Interestingly enough, Smith sponsored a Resolution (House Resolution 927) that passed in the House last month and differs little from one that was already on the agenda.

Directing the Legislative Budget and Finance Committee to conduct a study on the social, economic, philosophical and practical impact of providing expanded hunting opportunities, including hunting on Sunday, in this Commonwealth.
Smith hasn't been bashful at all about explaining that his addition of the word "philisophical" was referring to religion.
Old 12-06-2004, 06:14 PM

Well guys, as of next year, this will more than likely not be the case! I talked to the head Game Commission for Indiana County and he told me that next year, there is a 99% chance that Sunday hunting will be permitted! This is comming straight from Patrick Snickles mouth! We will just have to see what happens next year!
Old 12-06-2004, 07:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

there is a 99% chance that Sunday hunting
Crows???
Old 12-06-2004, 09:57 PM

I can sympathize with the guys in PA. I'm in MD and we're still holding on to the old blue laws too. Last year they finally allowed 2 Sundays per year. The first Sunday in Nov for the bowhunters and the first Sunday of the shotgun season also in Nov. These are still allowed on private land only. For those of you that don't know, my state has very little public land. They said the reason they don't allow more Sundays, is that it would interfere with the bird watchers. Newsflash, anyone watching birds on my land is trespassing, any day of the week. The same state that has raised bag limits from 2 to 36 in the last 25 years, because the deer pop is out of control, keeps raising the bag limits and adding more gun seasons but won't allow Sun hunting. Go figure,

Quick Reply: No Hunting on Sunday in PA.....Why?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.