Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

hunting the beds

Old 12-04-2004, 07:30 PM

Default hunting the beds

One day left in the norhtern zone here in New York. I have never hunted the bedding areas of deer but now that we're down to the wire I thought i might consider it. Do any of you have some reservations about this? I not, what's the best way to hunt where they lie?
Old 12-04-2004, 07:44 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: hunting the beds

I love unting bedding area's. I get on the edges of the thick cover they bed in and sit all day! Even bedded down deer get up every 1-2 hours to stretch thier legs. They may move 10-20 yards and bed down again. Sometimes being on the edge of the bedding thickets I catch the movement in there and get a shot before they bed down again! I also like to put myself between where the other hunters (if any) come from and the thicket. Let them push deer coming and going to thier cars! One time during a snow storm I watched what I thought was a fox under a briar bush for about 3 hours. Every now and then I would see movement and see it changing position. When I got out of my stand I decided to go see what he was doing under there and it turned out to be a button buck that had been hit by a car and couldn't walk! I had a doe tag and put the poor little guy out of his missery! I have always had good luck on the edges of thicker bedding area's......Jim