Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

CT gun laws

Old 11-30-2004, 01:16 PM

Default CT gun laws

I'm fairly new to Connecticut, and I haven't gotten my CT driver's license. Is it possible for me to purchase a shotgun without one? I suppose I'm going to have to go get one pretty soon anyways (I know I only have 30 or 60 days, I know...).

The reason is that my wife wants to buy me a shotgun for Christmas. She has already gotten her CT driver's license since she wasn't working yet. If she purchases the shotgun would I be able to legally hunt with it? That is assuming that I later get my DL and then get a hunting license.
Old 11-30-2004, 02:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: CT gun laws

Unless the rules have changed, you merely need to show proof of residence to obtain a hunting license. Proof of residence can be a driver's license, but that's not needed. You can use your lease, a pay stub, or a utility bill (cable/phone/electric).

You will need to either have a CT firearms course or a certificate/license from a state that sponsors a course (such as NY or MA).

But no, in essence, once you have a hunting license you can purchase a firearm. With the new laws, I'm not sure what procedures are in place for those without...I believe there is a longer holding period, maybe 10 days (?).

Best place to call is Hoffman's Gun Center in Newington, great guys.
Old 11-30-2004, 06:03 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: CT gun laws

Your question is, is it leagal for you to hunt with a shotgun purchased by your wife, correct?
Yes it is & she can give it to you without any type of registration or anything.
I think if you want to buy a gun you probably need a license or state ID but I'm not sure.
If you have a hunting license you can buy long arms & as long as you pass the instant check you're done. Without a hunting license its a 14 day waiting period. Handguns are a different story & you more or less need a conceled carry permit to buy one.