Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Allegheny National Forest Hunting

Old 11-23-2004, 10:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Allegheny National Forest Hunting

I haven't rifle hunted in Warren County, PA for about eight years. My family has a hunting camp on the border of the Allegheny Nat'l Forest near Sheffield.

Years ago, tagging out at deer camp wasn't too hard. We saw some deer and patience usually paid off.

I haven't been up there since the AR's started, and I have compiled a pretty good hunting party to make the trip this year. I was just wondering what to expect as far as quantity/quality of deer in the Allegheny N. F.

The area we hunt is interspersed with Eastern Hemlock, 10-12 year old clearcuts, and hardwoods with rocky ledges and outcroppings scattered throughout. Hunting pressure in the immediate area has always been pretty low due to limited access.
Old 11-23-2004, 02:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Allegheny National Forest Hunting

I hunted that area last year. Was tough going. The tornadoes that went through, when the Kinzua bridge went crashing down, tore up that area pretty bad. Whole benches were inaccessible due to blowdowns. Where do you go in at? Do you park off of 948 or thereabouts? If you got a deer in there you would have to airlift it out, at least where I was.
Old 11-23-2004, 06:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Our gang does fairly well every yer in the ANF. You will likely notice a few less deer than 8 years ago but there's still plenty and the hunting pressure is far lighter these days. If you get back off the roads you'll find em and the average buck will definitely be better than last time you were there.

This'll be the first time in over 30 years that we wont be up there
Family situation and an upcoming caribou trip are only going to allow a quick first day hunt close to home.

Good luck!
Old 11-24-2004, 09:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Camp is situated near Sheffield, and abuts the ANF. I was up there over the summer, and saw lots of deer sign in the area.

Down here in SW PA, the bucks are in a frenzy, I hope same is the case in Warren. I guess opening day weather isn't going to be so nice.

Rumor has it that the buck quality is really increasing up there. Hopefully, I can get out where the other hunters are too lazy to go, and let 'em push me one.

I'm actually thinking a little grunting and rattling session might be useful, any thoughts?
Old 11-24-2004, 03:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Rattling and grunting should be ok with expanded doe seasons and buck restrictions, since the buck to doe ratio should be increasing and they have to compete for what does are out there. The only problem is that the rut should be about over, except maybe the late rut and bucks cruising for whatever does are left to be bred. Good luck! If there are lots of blowdowns, that should benefit deer as the sunlight can get to the ground to grow stuff for them to eat.
Old 11-24-2004, 04:44 PM
Typical Buck

I had the opportunity to hunt there for about 6 years, I always did well. My father and I had no problem finding the deer, We had a camp in west Hickory and drove about 30 min to our spots. WE had a honey hole then the group we were with decided to sell.[:@] Anyway I have not been there for about 7 years. But I did hear about the tornadoes that went thru there. Good Luck if you go there this year.