Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Spikes and the antler equation

Old 03-05-2002, 06:14 PM

Default Spikes and the antler equation

This months Quality Whitetail magazine had an interesting article on an antler growth study they are doing in Texas.

They captured and tagged 444 deer in the last three years and it is too soon to make any conclusions, they shared what they had seen to date.

Their spikes went to 8 points the second year and at least equal 10 points the third year. At least equal to the yearling bucks that were 8 points! Therefore they recommended against culling yearlings as age, food and water are the biggest influence on horn development then, not genes.

That study is being run by Ben Koerth and Dr. James Kroll. Dr. Kroll is only slightly less famous than our Dr. Alt.
Old 03-05-2002, 06:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Spikes and the antler equation

Interesting indeed Mark!
Where did you find that magazine? Do you have a number to order a subscription?
Old 03-05-2002, 06:49 PM

It is a QDMA magazine. Join them!
Old 03-05-2002, 07:14 PM

That is interesting indeer. I plan on joining QDMA, I want the lifetime membership, sure, it is 650 bucks, but I bet that it will be well worth it.

Good Luck This Season: Buck Magnet
"Hunting is not a sport, it is a passion, it is a WAY OF LIFE"
Old 03-06-2002, 05:40 AM
Typical Buck

You guys will not be disappointed with the membership, and especially the magazine. That magazine has more information in it than the average person needs or wants to know about the biology and science of deer management, from food plots to deer whiskers.

It doesn't hurt that the top whitetail biologists in the country contribute to it, and support it. This is is the only magazine like that, except for small portions on North American WT, and D&D Hunting.

John Ozoga had an article a couple of years ago that explained most spikes. Most of them were victims of late birthing times, malnourished pregnant mothers during winter, herd stress due to overpopulation, or poor habitat/food. Very few were related to genes, and most were able to catch back up in body weight, and beam diameter, by age 3 and 1/2.

The bad thing is, over 85% are shot before 2 and 1/2 years old.

Jeff...U.P. of Michigan.
Old 03-06-2002, 06:05 AM

and still no male deer tag in Pa., odd that Texas has one isn't it?
Old 03-06-2002, 06:35 AM
Typical Buck

What's a male deer tag? If your referring to tagging button bucks, research has shown that when an area is overpopulated, antlerless harvest is most important, even if a button buck. In areas like Texas, with hunting shacks, feeders, and paying clientel, BB's make up only around 10% of the doe harvest-still 10% though. In areas of open hunting, such as MI, BB's make up over 30% of the doe harvest, showing in general, hunters don't have enough experience to know the difference.

I'd be happy with the tag, because I've watched 1000's of deer walk by my stand over the past several years, and watch deer most of the year, and view 100's of photographs, so I think it's easy to tell the difference. But on public land, you end up sacrificing needed herd reduction for an attempt at saving a few BB's.

Jeff...U.P. of Michigan.
Old 03-06-2002, 07:28 AM

let me see..public land regulated statewide under one blanket plan of reductions needed to reduce deer populations....hmmmm what's wrong with that plan? seems obvious to me and other residents of Pa that not every area of the state is over populated...but without DMU and/or check stations in place the PGC is forced to rely on it's own antique report card system to set quotas
Old 03-06-2002, 07:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've heard of Dr. Kroll!

As for the male deer tag....I still don't think it will work, but it's not a bad thought. Maybe next year we'll see something implemented. I can say that almost all of the "small doe" that I have shot were button bucks.

Does nature produce more bucks in an attempt to balance the herd? i.e. Are more of the fawns bucks or does? Are there any studies on this?
Old 03-06-2002, 07:35 AM
Typical Buck

What I've heard that with 2 fawns, it is virtualy 50/50, but first time mothers with single fawns, it was more like 55/45 or better, bucks.

Jeff...U.P. of Michigan

Quick Reply: Spikes and the antler equation

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.