Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

NEW YORK WMU 8Y

Old 11-02-2004, 10:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default NEW YORK WMU 8Y

Anyone here hunt WMU 8Y?

This is my first hunt in this area, and will be there for the opener for shotgun, 170 plus acres of private land, and just 3 of us hunting it.

So hows the bowhunting so far in this zone goin?
How big are the bucks (antler/weight) on averge?
Is there alot of deer in 8Y?
Old 11-05-2004, 05:41 AM

Default RE: NEW YORK WMU 8Y

I have never hunted this unit but here is some info from the DEC

WMU 8Y
Buck Take Objective = 4.5 bucks harvested per square mile

WMU 8Y occupies the southern half of Chemung and a small portion of Steuben County and includes 354 square miles, but has very limited public hunting opportunities. The buck take dropped below the objective in 2003, to about 3.8 bucks per square mile. As in most of the Southern Tier units, fawn mortality from last winter coupled with previous high doe harvests will bring populations down a little further in 2004. It is expected that this unit will stay below the BTO, and the number of DMPs available will be about half of the 2003 total. Approximately 4,400 permits should produce an adult doe harvest of just under 500. Most applicants will receive their first permit, although none will be available for non-residents who don't have preference points. No second permits will likely be available.

This page was last modified September 13, 2004