Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

MD bowhunting

Old 10-21-2004, 04:45 AM
Spike

Default MD bowhunting

I've been hunting public land in Maryland near the Bel Air area. Haven't seen but one deer so far this year and didn't get a shot on him. Has anyone else experienced this? I notice some guy(s) in the western part of the state are getting some deer. Maybe public land isnt the way to go!
Old 10-21-2004, 07:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: MD bowhunting

inverno
well, I kinda noticed this year has been slow also, usually by now I have one down, and passed up a few more, but this year I'm just not seeing the numbers I usually do. I dont really have an answer either, Im kinda puzzled myself, maybe with the great acorn crop we had this year they arent moving as much, I did notice something that surprised me, on the farm I hunt we have beans,corn,and hay, you would think the deer would be traveling to those fields, but I have seen all of my deer in the evenings heading to this one field that has nothing but field grass in it to eat, dont know why maybe they are just hanging out there til dark cause they feel safe there. as far as hunting public land, I have noticed that it pays off to stay away from the "fringes" where everybody else hunts, and leaves their scent, try to find someplace that doesnt get alot of traffic. If you look at the top of this forum you will see there is a group of us hunting some public land in frederick, it seems pretty good, have seen deer everytime Im there. You are welcome to join us if you want, If you live near belair, its probably almost an hour to my house, then another hour to our spot. If you wanna go you can meet me, and ride with me. let me know.
Old 10-22-2004, 04:32 PM

I have been hunting some public land in western Howard County and Carrol County. I have seen deer but most of them have been young and small. These same places have had big does the past two years. It is kinda strange. Maybe the last couple of winters have been hard on them. The doe have been around 70 pounders and the few spikes I have seen have been around 90-100 pounds. I find it hard to shoot a doe smaller than 80-90 pounds but I think I'm going to start. That is all I have seen this season and I haven't taken a shot yet. I'm not shooting a buck smaller than a nice eight. Figure I will try to weed out the does and let the small boys grow up for next year.
Old 10-26-2004, 09:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

They are all over the place here in Montgomery and southern Howard counties. The trick is getting on some private property. Most homeowners here have severe problems with the deer. If you are lucky enough to get on some property then you should have no problem filliing tags. I shot my first deer this weekend - little 4 point. He wasn't going to get much bigger anyway.
Old 10-26-2004, 09:47 AM

I went through a dry spell early in the season where I went 2 weeks without seeing a deer. Since then I have seen deer every trip out and killed 2, and I hunt 95% public land. The deer are really starting to move now, during the 3 day ML season I saw more deer than I had seen in almost the whole early bowseason. Just keep hammering a way at them, I'm sure the deer are there you just have to find where they are moving. Like Mossy already mentioned you are more than welcome to come down to Monocacy with us, there a a ton of deer there plus some real monsters.
Old 10-26-2004, 10:02 AM
Spike

Thanks guys. I'll keep that in mind. Have to see how Thursday and Friday go this week for me. My spot seems pretty good...I found a gut pile there and also have seen multiple guys try to come sit there while I was in my stand. Will get back with ya on the hunt in Western MD.
Old 11-06-2004, 10:26 PM
Spike

May I ask where this public land around Bel Air is at? Just outta curiosity.

Feel free to e-mail me if u like.

Thanks
CHris
Old 11-07-2004, 08:26 AM
Spike

I hunted the Patapsco in Ho Co last season and it was great, but the three times I was out this year I only saw one doe while I was in the stand and that's it.

But I just leased property in Ho Co near the Montgomery Co line for this season and this place is loaded with deer. I can only assume that it has to do with hunting pressure. The area of the park I hunted last year was just opened to the public last season so maybe they have already moved on.
Old 11-07-2004, 12:21 PM

I hunt Gunpowder State Park in Hereford which consist of two areas A&B.B is only open Thurs. thru Sat..Good hunting just wish they would open more of the park up for bowhunting.I read in the Sun. paper today that they had a non profit group hunting two state parks in Harford county.Since Sept.15th. til Oct .29th they shot 25 deer and now it has been brought to a halt by a dispute they say.I'll be calling Joseph E. PFaff the director of the park Mon. like other hunters have about it.The general public should be able to hunt it too.He's received plenty of calls from other hunters about it. the nuber is (410)638-3570 if anyone wants it.
Old 11-08-2004, 08:41 PM
Spike

I am new to hunting myself and hopefully will be ready by next years season. I am working on getting my bow soon and can begin practising and gathering needed supplys.
I will def be lookin for any areas in the Harford County areas since I am right there.

Anyone know of any areas that have the hunters saftey course? I checked the MD DNR page and theres no remotely nearby that is even open. Is it best to wait till after the season is over to look for openings with the class?

Quick Reply: MD bowhunting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.