Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

southern NH hunting land?

Old 09-15-2004, 04:58 AM

Default southern NH hunting land?

Hey guys i was wondering if anyone knows of any state land in southern NH like Amherst/ Nashua area that you can hunt on???
Old 09-15-2004, 10:16 AM

Default RE: southern NH hunting land?

Public land in southern NH is pretty hard to come by. All of the WMNF is open to hunting with special regulations but that far south might be difficult. The best bet is to try and gain permission to hunt on private land but it's a little late in the year for knocking on doors.

If you're willing to drive a bit further there is some public land in Exeter NH. It gets hunted pretty heavily(it's 10 minutes from my work but I drive and hour for less pressured ground) If you come up 95 take 101 west and get off @ exit 9(ret 26). Take a right and follow about 250 yds and there is a "drive way that passes under 101 on the left. Take that and it leads to a farm house on the other side of 101. It's posted public multi-use land and is open to hunting.
Old 09-15-2004, 10:36 AM

thanks adam is that exit 9 off of 95? kinda lost on the way that you posted it?

have you ever hunted there? how much land is there? also what type of land. swamp? hardwoods?
Old 09-15-2004, 10:39 AM

motown-

I work in Amherst and there isn't much public land around. Your best bet is to find town land open to hunting and there is some good pieces around.

A place you are more than welcome to try if you have a canoe... put in at the Souhegan River canoe point near the Amherst Country club off of 13, float down river through the course ... just past the course there is a real thick block that is only accessible from the river, that has a very healthy population of deer. I don't hunt it because I have areas just as good that don't require me to paddle back up a river. Good luck.
Old 09-15-2004, 10:44 AM

as good that don't require me to paddle back
MA Jay how would i get there from 95 going north? do many people hunt there? how fast is the river and last but not least how far is it down river?
Old 09-15-2004, 10:55 AM

I PM'd you the specific directions to the exact spot.

No idea how many people hunt there, I'd bet 0.

The river has a pretty good current, it's a very nice trout stream. Nothing you can't make it back up.. just a few ripples.

You'll have to scout it yourself .. as where I'd stop may be very different from where you'd choose to hunt.

Good luck.
Old 09-15-2004, 10:58 AM

thanks jay check out your PM
Old 09-15-2004, 03:58 PM
Typical Buck

The best bet is to try and gain permission to hunt on private land but it's a little late in the year for knocking on doors.

Is there a season for knocking on doors? It's never too late to ask for perrmission to hunt. I'll knock a door the last day of the season if I thought a I had a spot I needed to try.
Old 09-16-2004, 01:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just to clarify - knocking on doors is courteous, but not required in NH. If privately owned land is not posted, you can hunt.
Old 09-16-2004, 02:12 PM

Is there a season for knocking on doors?
Definately no season for knocking but I find people are a lot more reseptive if it's not a week before the season.

Just to clarify - knocking on doors is courteous, but not required in NH. If privately owned land is not posted, you can hunt.
You are 100% correct but a general knowledge of the land before hunting it is a good safe idea.

Quick Reply: southern NH hunting land?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.