Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

NJ Bear - Question

Old 09-07-2004, 12:56 PM

Default NJ Bear - Question

We are not allowed to bait bear while hunting from a tree stand. My question is: how would they know? Do they check slug trajectory? If so, I could always say that I shot the bear in the bottom of a gulley.

Ethics?
Old 09-07-2004, 02:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: NJ Bear - Question

While bear hunting you can hunt from a treestand, and you can bait bear, but the key is, you must be 300 feet or more away from it. You can't use bait at all while hunting within the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area. I took the seminar last year, so good, and some stupid questions people asked.
Old 09-07-2004, 02:28 PM

Still...how would they know? I could always say that I am deer hunting... which I will be anyway.
Old 09-07-2004, 02:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

how would they know what?
Old 09-07-2004, 02:33 PM

I am baiting deer and hunting bear. My treestand is 25 ft away (more or less). I have a bear permit (hopefully). A conservation offices approaches me and says that it is illegal to hunt bear from a treestand that is less the 300 ft. away.

My reponse: I am hunting deer today.
Old 09-07-2004, 02:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Someone asked that question last year. You will be find for breaking the law/rules. Another example, you shot a deer, its down, you use it for bait, your again breaking the law/rules, this is coming from them. Check this one out.

Only slugs can be used for bear. Few hundred yards is another hunter who is using buckshot, who happens to shot and injure a bear. The bear then comes near you, you shoot with slugs, and you harvest it. Take it to be checked, they notice buckshot, you can get fined, even if your using slugs with a rifled barrel. Makes no sense to me, and I'm a cop for 8 years, but thats what was told to me by the CO that was present during the seminar last year.
Old 09-07-2004, 02:44 PM

So... I guess if I receive a bear permit... I leave it at home that day and hunt only deer from the treestand. However, if I want to hunt both deer and bear at the same time.... I need to be on the ground.
Old 09-07-2004, 02:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

You can hunt from a treestand anytime. You can't hunt within 300 feet of bait while bear hunting weather in a treestand or not.

Listen go out that day to enjoy yourself, have a fun. Last year few days before the bear hunt, they banned the hunt on federal land I was hunting on, I went anyway for deer and at 6:45 am I had a bear under me. On the last day I went back to hunt that area, the banned was lifted on the 2nd day of the shotgun season. At 9:30 am I harvested a NJ bear.
Old 09-07-2004, 03:19 PM
jbc

If you have a bear permit in your possession you are "bear hunting" so make sure you have only slugs in your possession and are not hunting over bait from a treestand.
Old 09-07-2004, 07:14 PM

From what I understand you can't hunt both,One or the other.lol Like people aint gonna shoot a rack buck if presented the chance.But rules are rules.
ORIGINAL: dragthor

So... I guess if I receive a bear permit... I leave it at home that day and hunt only deer from the treestand. However, if I want to hunt both deer and bear at the same time.... I need to be on the ground.

Quick Reply: NJ Bear - Question

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.