Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

CONNECTICUT

Old 11-16-2004, 04:42 PM

Default RE: CONNECTICUT

Hey Guys,

Just thought I would help ya keep this thread up. I hunt CT
for the last 6 yrs and have taken some nice bucks, but none
as big as the one I took last Wed. in Hartford co. I am going
to post pics and how I got him tomorrow when I get back
from hunting. This big boy is HUGE!!!!! Well off to camp.

G
Old 11-16-2004, 06:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Took this year off, too busy with family/work/school to get out.

Heading out tomorrow though, first day of gun.

Land I hunt on has had a 12/14 pointer on one piece, the other a nice wide 10. Should be a beautiful first week.

Good luck all, and be safe out there...

S&R
Old 11-17-2004, 11:12 AM

Congrats Big G, can't wait to see the pics, and hear the story...at least someone has had some good luck...mine has been nothing but bad....took the day off from work, and was in the stand all day, I was hunting State Land, set up on a rub line, about 200 yds off of the road that runs through the forest, then about 3:30, it happened....I heard voices, turns out the GUN Hunters decided to get an early start setting up, well they start talking at the top of their voices, and stomping through the woods...so needless to say there went any opportunity that I was going to have to harvest anything in that last hour before sunset, but that's how my entire season has gone....Oh well going to hit the bow only areas now, and hopefully those GUN Hunters will run them into me. Don't get me wrong I don't think badly about ALL GUN hunters, but I do believe that they are a different breed from us Bow hunters IMO.
Old 11-17-2004, 11:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

CTBM,

You do realize of course, that approximately 75-90% of all bowhunters switch to guns during firearms season, yes? I normally bowhunt, with an occasional missed season here & there---I've missed 3 in almost 20 years. Perhaps you may want to find some private land...

Although I understand your predicament, you can't really be to angry when hunting public land. These guys, although they may have ruined your afternoon, are much better than Joe Blow who walks into the forest for the first time in a year on opening morning and sets up camp a mere 100 yards from your perch...

Sorry, but in this state, I would like to see the firearms season extended by 1 week on each side of the current season. Too many deer and too many car/deer collisions. Although car insurance is cheap now, wait a few years and we'll be like NJ.

S&R
Old 11-18-2004, 05:16 AM

S&R,

I understand what your saying, and I hope your right about that percentage because that will mean that there won't be as many bow hunters in the bow only areas. I know that it comes with the territory with state land. Most of the guys that I hunt with don't gun hunt, they only bow hunt. As for extending the gun season, I wouldn't be opposed to that, if they would open up Sunday on Private land for bow hunters, I believe that would reduce the numbers as well, not to mention if they were to allow us to hunt an extra half an hour after sunset, after-all we can legally shoot a half an hour before sunrise, and it's just as dark then as it is a half an hour after the sun sets, and as I'm sure you know that half an hour after sunset seems like prime time for deer activity. At any rate good luck with the rest of your season, and I am not giving up by any means, there is still a lot of hunting left in me.
Old 11-18-2004, 08:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

CTBM,

I'm from NY, so when I moved here I was really bummed I couldn't hunt the Sundays AND the 30 minutes after sunset.

I've written hundreds of emails and letters to the Reps, but I don't think the regs will change anytime soon.

And as for Sunday hunting, it should be allowed on Private land for ALL hunting, with written landowner consent. I suggested making it a separate box on the consent form, directly below the species/firearm type boxes. If landowners want to allow it, it should be their decision, not the State's.

I also believe that Turkey and Deer firearm hunting should be open on State lands on Sunday. For the amount of money the licenses and permits cost us the hunters, with the revenue the state earns, the tree-huggers & nature-walkers can give up 9 Sundays (9/52 or ~17%) a year for the hunters.
Old 12-08-2004, 09:35 AM

So what's been going on? How's everyone doing? Has anyone gotten anything? If so post some pics so we can enjoy them. Take care everyone, and Good Luck. -- Van
Old 12-23-2004, 08:05 AM

So how's everyone's season gone? I was able to harvest a small doe, still have a little time left, going out tomorrow morning, and will hopefull be able to get another one. Good Luck Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year.
Old 12-23-2004, 12:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

CT,
I haven't hunted Connecticut since MA bow opened in late Sept. Glad to hear that you got one. I got a nice 4 pointer w/ the shotgun in MA...that's about it.
Old 12-25-2004, 09:39 PM
Typical Buck

Got my 4th doe on Monday & scored on a buck in NY on opening day with a rifle. I'v still got a month left & hopefully can tag one or 2 more. Not gonna need to buy meat for awhile anyway. gave one to a local club for a game dinner & another small one to a friend who wanted some venison.
Good luck fellas!