Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

CONNECTICUT

Old 09-13-2004, 06:46 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: CONNECTICUT

EOTN,

Theres a state park called Wooster Mountain just south of where Rt's 84 & 7 come together. They allow bowhunting for deer & small game. The book also says waterfowl but I'v never seen any ducks or geese there, there is a swamp on the east side of route 7 & there may be some there. Anyhow, I guess you could take 22 down to 84 & head east till you get to 7 & then south. The park starts right where 7 turns from a highway into a regular road. Theres parking about a mile (maybe less) south on your right. Theres a shooting range there also & I park in their outer lot. I believe theres better than 350 acres there with the larger piece on the west side of the road where you park.
Its very hilly & not an easy hunt but there are deer there. I nevere hunted deer there but have gone for squirrels with the 22 & have stumbled on alot of them.
Theres less pressure on the east side of the road but the state land boundries arent well marked. Still, if I was to hunt there I think I'd look on the east side as it backs up to a private community that I'm sure has lotsa goodies for bambi.

Dont know how far up you are but the range is a nice place to visit if your into firearms.
Lotta good guys & a nice place to shoot IMO.

I Hunt NY also in gun season. We usta go up to Washington county but the guy sold the cabin & land this summer so its either Duchess or Columbia this year. My uncle has a friend in Columbia with a piece of land & I think we'll be at his place this year. Supposed to be a hot spot but if it doesnt pan out we can stop in Duchess on the way back.
Thats 2 months away tho & I plan on having venison already.

Hope I helped a bit.
Old 09-13-2004, 08:42 PM

Hey DJ, I don't hunt that area, but I have a friend that lives up there, and he tells me that he sees plenty of deer up that way...Good Luck.
Old 09-14-2004, 11:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hey Guys,
I live in MA, but hunt private land bordering state early bow season in Canaan CT. Good luck to everybody tomorrow!
Old 09-15-2004, 07:48 PM
Typical Buck

You guys get anything today? I went out this morning for a few hours with no luck & went back after work. Saw a small doe & a fawn but I let them go. Dont wanna blow my cover till I see a big doe or buck, not this early anyway. Next month I'da took the doe.
Hell I might stick her tommorow if it stops raining. First damn day & I'm second guessing myself. [:'(] Only 4 1/2 months left I hope I see more.
Old 09-16-2004, 06:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

I had the same thing happen. I let a nice doe & a little one pass... The little one must have just lost it's spots... It was running & playing in the field. I have never seen anything like it before. I could have shot the big girl a couple of times. I just couldn't shoot her with that little one! We'll see... Maybe next time.
Old 09-16-2004, 08:36 AM

Unbelieveable!!!! The same exact thing happened to me! 13 yards a nice size doe turns broadside. I draw, just about to release and see movement and crashing around out of the corner. I wait a second and there walks in a fawn in full spots still, goes over to mom and starts "eating". No way could I shoot here thais early in the season. Last deer I saw all day, and was beginning to have second thoughts! LOL Good luck this evening everyone!

CtBowMan - I live in Groton. I hunt up by you sometimes - must be nice not to have to drive! I hunt off of Tom Wheeler Road once in a while. You familiar with that area? Phil
Old 09-16-2004, 07:04 PM
Typical Buck

Saw what I think was the same doe & fawn this afternoon. They didnt come in today like yesterday & I think she knows somethings up. I'm gonna stay away from there a few days. Got a place down the road a bit & if its not pouring thats where I'll be tomorow afternoon.
Good luck guys.
Old 09-17-2004, 09:58 AM

Been through Colchester many times. Theres some hills going down to the river.And there are plenty of deer thats for sure.
Old 09-17-2004, 10:25 PM

This is amazing, I had the same thing happen to me, went out in the morning, didn't see anything, went out in the afternoon, and jumped on at like 1:30, then saw a doe and a yearling, the doe bedded down 30 yds from me, but behind some brush, not a clear shot, but the yearling, waltzed around, and I could of taken her, 20 yds, broadside quartering away, but she still had spots on her back, so I let her walk...didn't want to muck up the spot.....Monday looks good, I'll be back at it again. My buddy got a 4 pointer, and another friend got a doe.
Old 09-21-2004, 06:37 AM

Update....Should of taken the yearling....Went out yesterday afternoon, and saw 5 more deer.....Still haven't gotten a shot off...the yearling that I saw opening day afternoon, once again made me, she's walking around looking straight up in the trees, the Doe that was with her was 25 yds broadside to me, with a limb right across her vitals...so after the yearling makes me, she starts stamping her hoof at me, next thing I know here come 2 more does running right across my shooting lane, but I can't get a shot off at them because the yearling is looking right at me, so then they all congregrate kinda like giving each other high fives for making it through, then saw another one, but it was about 60 yds out.....Lesson learned.....next time take out the informant! Regardless still having fun....

Quick Reply: CONNECTICUT

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.