Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Deer fences for NJ ?

Old 08-29-2004, 05:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Deer fences for NJ ?

Copied this story from the Courier Post. Seems they want to make NJ a canned hunt [&:].

Fencing will control deer

Sunday, August 29, 2004

New Jersey's exploding deer population is threatening to eat farmers out of business. Controlled hunts are not reducing, at least not fast enough, the deer herds that feast on crops. But maybe the fencing the state is making available just might help deer and farmers better share New Jersey's dwindling open spaces. Good fences can make good neighbors.

The fencing already has dramatically reduced crop destruction by deer in places where farmers have put it up. Still, the cost can be a barrier for some farmers. That's why the $300,000 from the state Department of Agriculture and the Division of Fish and Wildlife is so important in keeping New Jersey the Garden State.

Farmers will get up to 5,000 feet of fence, roughly enough to enclose a 30-acre parcel. The state will also pay 30 percent of the cost of fence poles.

State officials pulled this money from other programs. But lawmakers ought to consider dedicating future funds for fencing. With food sources reduced, the deer population could naturally shrink to fit within the constraints of New Jersey's environment.

As it stands, there are simply too many deer for this crowded, overdeveloped state. There are approximately 170,000 deer in New Jersey. That's about 23 deer per square mile of land. Of course, the deer aren't spread evenly around the state. They're squeezed into forests and undeveloped buffers adjacent to farms.

Relative to hunting, fencing is a safe way to manage the deer herd, especially in developed areas such as Cherry Hill. We hope more fencing is offered to farmers.
Old 08-30-2004, 08:15 AM

Default RE: Deer fences for NJ ?

My parents are friends with a farmer in zones 14 and 41. Want to know what most farmers do? The state gives them a permit to whack a bunch. I am talking between 50 and 75 deer. The farmers usually just shoot and leave them.

- kk
http://whitetail.blogspot.com
Old 09-01-2004, 09:21 AM

how hard is it to get access to these farms. in my opinion i don't want to hear any complaining from farmers about the deer if they are not granting hunting access.
Old 09-01-2004, 10:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

To hunt private land in NJ, you either must be family with the farmer, or have a long time lease in writing. About 8 years ago, we lost our lease due to the farmer selling to a builder typical for NJ. We found 300 acres to least, the farmer was looking for clubs to bid on the rights, so he can get the most money. This really turned me off, the deer are eating the crops which is money to the farmer his bread & butter, then he has the nerve to ask for bids!!!! I had the paper work, insurance, and the money right there and then to make the deal, he refused, he wanted a bid. They complaine to the state about losing there crops to deer, bear, and other animales, then they want the hunters to bid top dollar to hunt, then with my tax dollars I have to pay for fencing? What if I tell the state that a woodchuck is eating my eggplant, tomatos, peppers, etc. out of my garden would they give me or you money to erect a fence?

Also the farm I did lease years ago, we would find numerous dead deer both does & bucks, would ask the farmer in a nice way to at least let the bucks live, he always said "OK", but he wouldn't do it.
Old 09-01-2004, 04:57 PM

bow ...i agree, it pisses me off that (your) tax dollars are spent on fencing when the farmers are not allowing hunting on their property. hunting is an effective management tool and should be used. if i ran the world money for fencing would only be considered following a year of open hunting for the land, similar to the block management programs being used in some western states.