Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

New Jersey Bear Hunt 2004?

Old 08-24-2004, 08:19 AM

Default RE: New Jersey Bear Hunt 2004?

Hey guys..... I thought you might find this a bit interesting. As the anti's swear bears aren't overpopulating and such, browsing the NRA website i found that...... due to a growing population a bear management plan is being drafted in MD.

http://www.nraila.org/CurrentLegisla...d.aspx?ID=1209

Maryland Members! Help Support Bear Hunting!

Friday, August 20, 2004

Maryland`s Department of Natural Resources has developed a black bear management plan, which will be considered on Wednesday, August 25th by the Joint Administrative, Executive, and Legislative Review Committee (AELR). The plan consists of a limited hunt which would take place this fall in specified areas of Garrett and Alleghany Counties. It is imperative that you call your legislators and let them kow that you support the hunt. Respectfully tell them that the management of Maryland`s black bears is best left to the scientists and biologists at Maryland`s DNR, and that the black bear hunt scheduled for this fall should proceed. It is absolutely critical that you contact your elected officials today. You can find contact information by using the "Write Your Reps" feature at www.nraila.org.
Old 08-24-2004, 09:49 AM

hey, i support the hunt too, but i think we have a few things wrong. i do not think that the bears have overpopulated. i think urban sprawl is out of control and they have nowhere to go. similar to valley forge st park where i lived. we are building to many places..way to many. how many strip malls do u see "fold"?? it is not the bears fault.

good luck with the hunt..i guess that would be a good archery hunt
Old 08-24-2004, 09:59 AM
jbc

Lem,

You are buying the anti's story. Bears are averpopulated (areas of 3 per square mile when they should be 1 per 3 square miles). Sprawl is a problem but we have more bears now than in recorded history. They are invading OUR territory. People who have never seen a bear in 30 years cannot use their backyards anymore.

25 cat 1 incidents in 1 week is NOT natural. It's dangerous.
Old 08-24-2004, 12:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Last year I harvested a NJ bear, and I will be getting a full body mount. The meat was tasty, but the 2 others bears I got from Canada was better tasting.

Last week, my friend and I went scouting in the area we deer hunt, same area I took my bear. We were sparying down with bug spray when we see a bear, not a big one. But you would think that the bear would either run off or at least walk away, well it comes to us gets within 10 feet of my truck, we both jumped in my truck, I'm there to scout, this bear keeps walking around, rolling in the weeds, it didnt seem mean, but I wasnt taking no chances, so I fired one round from my off duty gun into the dirt, the bear ran off. About one hour later we are setting up a trail cam near a scrape thats there every year, within 30 yds of my treestand, we hear walking, we see 6 bears, and nice sow with her young, she also sees us but she keeps are distance as we do the same, but of course one cub must be daring and come closer, well i tell my friend start walking away, I'll fire another round into the dirt, the bear also runs off. 2 bears within 1 hour came closer to me, what if it attacked me, or anyone?
Old 08-24-2004, 02:33 PM

Man you really need to take the attitude of the anti's at the bear meetings last year. You should have run up and hugged them. They're all like winnie the pooh. Now that thats out of the way, thats pretty scary. Thats the problem and most people that never have or had encounters with bears believe they're friendly, but they are as if or if not more dangerous than a loaded gun. But the sad thing is even if someone gets killed by a bear, the irrational idiot anti's will blame the person and not the bear. This is the reason bear management is in effect.
Old 08-24-2004, 03:58 PM

sounds like alot of nice blankets walking around in NJ. what area are highly populated?? northern or southern NJ??
Old 08-24-2004, 05:38 PM
jbc

Northwest, but moving farther south very quickly.