Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

does anyone bear hunt new hampshire?

Old 07-26-2004, 07:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default does anyone bear hunt new hampshire?

i see the season opens on september 1. my brother has family up in the northern part near the white mountains area. tough hunting? any areas to check out. thanks for any info
Old 07-26-2004, 08:08 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: does anyone bear hunt new hampshire?

I'v got a camp in North Stratford, a bit further north than what most people consider the White mountains. Was up bout a month ago & had a nice size one run across the road in front of us, he ran into my property & as we were opening the gate he crossed our road about 50 feet from us. That said its not easy to find them when hunting season comes around, least not for me. I may try some farms this fall as the locals told me once the corns ready they dont even go back into the woods unless spooked, they spend most of their time scarfing down corn. If you are a resident you can use dogs if its your style. Talked to a bunch of guys from VA last year and 6 guys got 6 bears so I guess it works. If your a non resident like me you cant bait or use hounds unless your state lets NH residents hunt in this manner.

You may have better luck by the national forest as theres more people & the bears may be more acustomed to seeing them, also alot more campers & the garbage that comes with them atracts bears.