Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

A record Buck Harvest in PA. for 2004???

Old 07-29-2004, 06:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: A record Buck Harvest in PA. for 2004???

I guess you never had the pleasure of hunting deer where there is posted ground and a lot of houses that are owned by people from NY and NJ. The vast majority don't like hunting and don't want any hunters close to their property.
Then the landowners need to make a choice then, don't they? Either they allow hunting (if only bowhunting, so be it) or shut up and live with the deer problem. See, that is the problem with alot of folks nowadays, they bitch and moan about something and then tie your hands when you try to do something about the situation. Everything must be "politically correct". Probably alot of "animal lovers" out in that area. It's funny how they don't want you to "murder bambi" but they scream and yell when they hit one with their car or lose all of their expensive shrubbery to a feast one night. I see more of your position now, I just don't think it applies to my area and I support AR in my case. I know it is easier said than done but you should wash your hands of your hunting area and devote your efforts in an area that is more hunter friendly. Seems like you are in a situation where it is damned if you do, damned if you don't. Good luck in finding a solution.
Old 07-29-2004, 08:11 PM

Default RE: A record Buck Harvest in PA. for 2004???

Thanks for at least acknowledging that you understand my position. By doing so you also acknowledge the very difficult postion that that the PGC faces. There are no easy answers.

I know it is easier said than done but you should wash your hands of your hunting area and devote your efforts in an area that is more hunter friendly.
That is not something I cannot and will not do because I live where I hunt and both my brother and I have gardens, fruit trees and Christmas trees. I have a responsibility as a hunter to control the herd where I live even if the hnting is not what I would like it to be. I wouldn't ask anyone else to hunt under these conditions so if we don't do it , I can't expect anyone else to do it.

I don't blame you for supporting AR's where you hunt. As long as the population remains stable you'll have great hunting. However , if herd reduction eventually succeeds in your area the quality of your hunting will decline as it has in 2 G.

Instead of fighting over AR ,we would accomplish a lot more if we could work together to get the PGC to update their OWDD goals to reflect the true carrying capacity of the habitat. If we could accomplish that, there would be no need to reduce the herd by 50% and there wouldn't be such a big diparity in the quality of hunting in various areas of the state.