Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

PA BIG BUCK QUESTION!!!!!!

Old 07-18-2004, 07:47 PM

Default PA BIG BUCK QUESTION!!!!!!

Hey guys,

I have got a question. How much more growing do our Pennsylvania white-tails have left in them. I am in Indiana County and the reason I am asking is because I have a big 8 point on my property that is already huge.

I have been seeing 7 different bucks comming into my field and most of them are still not entirely formed. This big 8 point though has what appears to be a "fully formed" rack.

I would say that his spread is around the 19" to 20" mark (outside). His brow-tines are probablly in the 6" range, his G-2's are probablly in the 11" range, and the G-3's are probablly around 9" long. If I had to guess, I would say that his main beams are around 22" to 24". He also appears to have some great mass, but that really can't be seen because he is still in velvet.

How much more growth do you think this guy has in him and what parts of the antlers are probablly gonna grow?
Old 07-18-2004, 09:26 PM

Default RE: PA BIG BUCK QUESTION!!!!!!

u still have a little growth left and then hardening through aug. at this point u will not see anything drastic. u might consider some 30-06 mineral after this season. place it in the ground in jan-feb...keep the sight active through the spring and that will help with the antler growth on the other deer that u have around.

take care and good luck...i am in king of prussia
Old 07-19-2004, 01:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Got any pics yet???
Old 07-19-2004, 03:25 PM

Hey Bob,

No pics of him yet, but I am hoping I can. My camcorder is broke, or else I would have tried to film him, and my digital camera only has a 4X optical zoom. I am hoping that he comes in front of my scouting camera.

If I get some pics, you guys will DEFINETLY see him, but hey, I am really hoping to get some pics of him in October, with me in the background and my bow laying on his chest
Old 07-21-2004, 07:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hope to see THAT pic!

Just one thing..........

It'll be tough to keep that grin of yours narrower'n that spread of his
Old 07-21-2004, 09:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd say you have a couple weeks at most. Like already stated, the drastic growth is over and they'll quit growing and begin the hardening phase. In any regard, sounds like you have a decent 120" class buck there.
Old 07-26-2004, 05:28 PM
Fork Horn

I guess the restriction on points in PA is working! We took 2 - 10pts, 1- 9pt, 3-8pters last year that were all bigger in spread & mass. The ones we are seeing this year look to be bigger & better! HURRY UP OCT AND GET HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!