Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

mountain lions in NY??

Old 05-18-2005, 06:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: mountain lions in NY??

NY Bowhunter, get used to it. I'm in the same boat you are and every single time this topic is brought up there are those who think they'll see elvis strolling through the woods before they see a mountain lion and there's no changing their mind. You could post 50 pics, certified real by a professional of a mountain lion standing on the front steps of the state capital and they'll still say it's a fake.
Old 05-18-2005, 01:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

You could post 50 pics, certified real by a professional of a mountain lion standing on the front steps of the state capital and they'll still say it's a fake.
50 pics are not needed - one real one would do it for most.

Steve
Old 05-18-2005, 05:13 PM

NY Bowhunter, ya right they are killing kids all over NYS. NY Bowhunter you did alot of yappen and cutting me down but you did'nt answer my question, give me a good reason why the DEC would release a mountain lion. The law says they would have to tell the public. Why would'nt they? Tell me. I will say yes, there may be a mountain lion in NYS, but I doubt it. I f there is the DEC did not release it.
Old 05-18-2005, 07:49 PM

Mlo31, Im with you on this one. I havent been following this thread for pretty obvious reasons, but I see its still going.

The DEC CANT release mt lions due to liability factors, its pretty simple. Very few exist in NY state, and the very few that do are obviously animals escaped or released by private individuals illegally or at least accidently.

Anyone with even a basic understanding of predator/prey dynamics knows why there are no lions, and why bobcats have a limited range. Coyotes will always reign supreme in this state because of its ability to both harvest prey of all sizes and to readily accept carrion as part of its diet. Ultimately though, its intelligence and ability to co-mingle with man is why it prospers, and why lions would not.

It sure would be great to have mt lions listed as a current indigenous specie, but its just not being stocked by the DEC, regardless of what story circulates, with or without pics!
Old 05-19-2005, 02:15 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Bill Yox

Mlo31, Im with you on this one. I havent been following this thread for pretty obvious reasons, but I see its still going.

The DEC CANT release mt lions due to liability factors, its pretty simple. Very few exist in NY state, and the very few that do are obviously animals escaped or released by private individuals illegally or at least accidently.

Anyone with even a basic understanding of predator/prey dynamics knows why there are no lions, and why bobcats have a limited range. Coyotes will always reign supreme in this state because of its ability to both harvest prey of all sizes and to readily accept carrion as part of its diet. Ultimately though, its intelligence and ability to co-mingle with man is why it prospers, and why lions would not.

It sure would be great to have mt lions listed as a current indigenous specie, but its just not being stocked by the DEC, regardless of what story circulates, with or without pics!
Agreed...I don't care what anyone says about you, I think you are A-OK J/k.
Old 05-20-2005, 04:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

give me a good reason why the DEC would release a mountain lion. The law says they would have to tell the public. Why would'nt they? Tell me.
dude......... I havent' the foggiest idea. I'm not a mountain lionologist. I've never seen a mountain lion. I'm not even sure if there are any in NYS. I could really care less if there are. Let me say this as simple as possible.......... all I'm doing is relaying information I've heard. I didn't make the stuff up. I'm not arguing for or against the topic cause frankly I could give a rats arse if there are or arent or who believes what.
Old 05-20-2005, 05:57 AM

Everyone that keeps saying their are no mountain lions and never could be are just trying to convince themselves...Why? I will tell you....because they are scared to death. Just the thought of sharing the woods with big cats cripples them with fear. The mere passing thought of encountering a lion in the pre-dawn darkness en route to their stand makes them want to never step foot in the woods again. WOOSIES....Lions, and tigers, and bears....OH MY!!!!!! Maybe all the nay-sayers should get together and go on a search for the wizard so that they can ask him nicely for some courage! LMAO hahahahaha......

Watch out for those lions....you won't hear them coming, and they like to take ya from behind!!!!!!
Old 05-20-2005, 01:53 PM

Bears I worry about .... you should have seen the size of the one I had 30 yds away last September when I was hanging a stand!

I think most folks would love to see cougars around here....we just know they aren't here. All these fake stories and fake pictures don't help.
Old 05-20-2005, 02:13 PM

I think most folks would love to see cougars around here....we just know they aren't here. All these fake stories and fake pictures don't help.

O.K. Whatever....PAL>>>>IT IS DOCUMENTED AND SCIENTIFICALY BEEN PROVEN AND VERIFIED THROUGH DNA EVIDENCE THAT THERE ARE IN FACT COUGARS ROAMING THE WOODS OF THE NORTHEAST.....GET OVER IT>
Old 05-20-2005, 02:38 PM

Easy, sister...

From what I've read (reputable sources only, please), the furthest east an honest to god, born in the wild cougar has been found has been Iowa. It was hit by a train.

Without a doubt, they are moving east. But they're not here yet, so take it easy.

Some escaped pets in DE, one escaped from a zoo in NY a decade ago....the rest are urban legends.

Look at this way...you would be SO famous if you could provide some physical evidence (including the DNA that you are screaming about) to the proper folks, like the NY DEC.

Quick Reply: mountain lions in NY??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.