Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

mountain lions in NY??

Old 07-15-2004, 05:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: mountain lions in NY??

LMAO .......... you dork!!! Boy that July snow is nasty stuff. Great pic thanks.
Old 07-18-2004, 02:39 PM

ask a ranger about the stocking of moose here and they will look at you like you are nuts, but call any public TV station in Ontario and ask them for their documentary on the trapping of Algonquin Moose and the semi hauling of them to NY state and they will know what you are talking about.

same thing with mtn lions, some claim there are stocked lions in NY and wolves too, but no one i have ever met in years of this topic coming up has ever known anything about this 'stocking'.

I have followed up on 13 reports of mtn lions near me in the last few years even bringing my hounds along, and have never found any evidence of a lion, lots of fisher, bobcats and coyote sign right where they lion was suppossed to have been...no lion yet.

the only 4 cases of evidence that anyone accepts as probable lion sightings are reports made by DEC personel.

http://www.easterncougarnet.org/northeast.htm

Old 07-18-2004, 05:25 PM
Spike

i've lived south of buffalo for 50 years and haven't heard of this sheep killing lion yet.there have been rumors of pictures taken of big cats in this area but when time comes to show them , they never come through. the local c-o also knows nothing of this lion.sounds like one of those local legends seen by someones brothers sister-in-laws twice removed third cousin who swears they have pics.you can read what the dec says about lions by going to http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/d...ec/eacofs.html
not a lot there but they do say stocking is not done.if someone does come up with real proof i'd live to know about it , just won't hold my breath waiting.
Old 07-26-2004, 01:15 PM
Fork Horn

I would'nt trust what people at the state level say anyway. They don't want the pub to panic? I don't know.

People say lions are around here to but the state officals do not agree. If lions are here I'm sure NY has more!

I found a kill about two years ago in the state forest near my house. The deer was not shot, was covered with leaves and had weird looking dots all over its back. Like claw marks or from prickers I don't know. The only blood or damage was a tiny bit of blood on the underside of the neck. I repeat, this was not shot by a hunter. The only thing I could think of was lion or bob cat. I never returned to the sight. A local man claims to have seen tracks in the snow and won't go near the forest at night. Of course he also stated there were wovles out there too!@ The lion I could see but wolves I don't think so!
A guy my buddy works with claims to have seen a lion on the mtn side early one morning. He also said someones livestock was a bit mangled. Who knows.

Didn't NY stock some lynx a few years back?
Old 07-26-2004, 08:35 PM
RWK
Nontypical Buck

Not needed.....
Old 07-27-2004, 10:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

NYBowhunter you better quit that funny tobaco or booze. I live around buffalo and i mean no ones talking about your cat, i belong to a couple of sportsmen clubs in the area, and nooooooooo cat. Quit the drugs.
Well BEHOLD!!!!! It must be not true then. RWK says no mountain lions. WHEW thanks for clearing it up so definitively bud.

And more amazingly he's figured out i'm an alcoholic and drug addict too!!! You are amazing Einstein.[:-]
Old 07-27-2004, 11:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

What no stinkin picture yet.[8D]
Old 07-27-2004, 11:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

well charlie, heres a pic ... of a BLACKPUMACOUGARMOUNTAINLION....so now you can stop with the "just one picture " stuff! i saw him in the catskills yesterday so there!! (see my other post

Old 07-27-2004, 01:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

see I told ya so!!
Old 07-27-2004, 03:43 PM
CPG

OK, first off, glad to be here, this is my first post. I belong to a few other bulletin boards about hiking and backpacking in the Adirondacks and this topic comes up quite a bit. There are those that live up there that would swear that there are cougars. I have not seen one or any sign myself but .......

Quick Reply: mountain lions in NY??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.