Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

NY Hunter orange bill passed??

Old 07-12-2004, 09:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default NY Hunter orange bill passed??

Lets NOT get into a fistfight here - Did the bill pass? I heard it did.

Thanks
Farm Hunter.
Old 07-12-2004, 09:57 PM

Default RE: NY Hunter orange bill passed??

Didnt hear, but I highly doubt it..
Old 07-13-2004, 05:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bill has passed and went to governor for signature or veto. Once again, like last year, it is poorly written. It is written to be weapon specific rather than season specifiic. In otherwords, those hunting with rifle and shotgun would be required to wear it but not archers in gun season would not - a dangerous situation.

If we must have a blaze orange law to lift the responsibility from the the shooter for acting in a responsable manner, at least they could write so it makes sense.

Steve
Old 07-13-2004, 12:36 PM

Great!!!!Does anybody know where I can get FLOURECENT ORANGE waders so I can duck hunt this year?Who needs a closet full of camo hunting clothes?
Old 07-13-2004, 12:36 PM

Would this be in northern N.Y. too?
Old 07-13-2004, 02:57 PM
Typical Buck

from what I have read it did pass and that is for all of new york state. a vest would be enough to satisfy the law the good news is that it doesn't go into effect until Jan . right after deer season
Old 07-13-2004, 08:38 PM

Oh,well......As long as I`ve been hunting up in the ADKS, I haven`t seen a game warden nor heard of any sightings.Probably a better chance of seeing a cougar or a "mountain lion" than a warden.
Old 07-15-2004, 02:59 PM
Typical Buck

beaglefreak , stay in camo and don.t move the game warden won't see you ha-ha
Old 07-17-2004, 08:25 PM

Ya cant write up what ya cant see!
Old 07-18-2004, 02:24 PM

all empty warden positions have been filled with new wardens ---young fellas that get out of the truck--- we call them RoboRangers, you turn the key and they write a ticket.

The governor expects to see millions in revenue from violations this year, and $35 million from his new Handgun License Fee.

Each town that the citation is in also gets money, one week we took in $490 just from one RoboRanger in one town in fines for parents casting a bobber out for a little kid and the parents not having licenses.

another week we took in gobs of money in fines for people parking along the sides of state roads, which is illegal, more fines were for leaving tree stands on state land over night (storage of personal property) a couple were for archers trimming a branch from their stand (destruction of state property) and a pile of money came in for people putting up marking ribbon or using trail tacks and leaving trail cameras out on state land. all storage of personal property, damage to a tree and littering.

the ones that will knock folks over this summer is the picking of blueberries, raspberries,mushrooms and black berries on state land. Illegal so they say but i'm waiting on a ruling from last year when we pushed it into the legal department.

since the towns get the money many locals are going out of their way to report violations they normally would not have bothered with, like tree stands being left overnight and flagging.

Personally? I think if more people wrote letters to the DEC and Gov telling them that increasing fines and breaking tourists chops will result in more money in fines yes, but in the long run less tourism dollars spent in NY then we might get somewhere.

you can't threaten Pataki with less hunter dollars because he is anti-hunting and that sounds good to him.

If Pataki changed his veto on the Orange bill that is something that happened this last week, he had said July 13th, 2004 while he was here in Tupper that he would not pass a bill that was not season specific...he pointedly mentioned duck hunters. Also he still thinks that 500 sq inches is not enough, even though it has been pointed out to him that an adult hooded jacket is 500 sq inches, he says more is needed.

I'll call our senators and assemblymen tomorrow so if you can tell me where Pataki said he was passing it that would be a nice help.

DEC's statement to the hunting fraternity was a quote off their website "There is no law in New York State requiring hunters to wear hunter orange, but most do. Over 80 percent of big game hunters wear it, as well as two out of three small game hunters."

We used that to point out that creating a new law would effect less than 20% of the hunters as the vast majority are already compliant.

Quick Reply: NY Hunter orange bill passed??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.