Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

West Virginia Sunday Hunting

Old 05-25-2004, 01:59 PM

Default West Virginia Sunday Hunting

What ever happened to that fellow (I think he was from Maryland who owned land in WV) that was challenging the Sunday hunting law in WV. I remember him creating an organization that was going to challenge the law in court. He even started his own website (that I have since lost). There were several posts on here about this time last year. Any ideas?

Also does anyone know if the Farm Bureau is still fighting in those counties where Sunday Hunting is still legal?
Old 05-25-2004, 10:05 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: West Virginia Sunday Hunting

The vote was done on a county, by county basis. Most counties eventually said NO to Sunday hunting which was very unfortunate for many of us that hunt and work during the week. I will try to check the DNR and some other sites I have to see what is going on now.
Old 05-26-2004, 08:40 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 05-26-2004, 01:00 PM

I understand about the county-by-county vote. Thank God I still live in a county that allows Sunday Hunting.

However the gentleman that I am referring to was trying to challenge the county-by-county vote. His take was that since hunters are a minority, that putting the Sunday Hunting up in a referendum-style vote was an illegal practice and goes against the minority laws set by this country. The last I heard he had the backing of a national minority group who would provide lawyers and cover the bill and was looking for an individual (a WV resident) to do the actual sueing.

Does anyone else remember this?
Old 05-27-2004, 08:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

The lawsuit I remember is the ACLU taking action. Here's a link I found on it. They filed suit almost a year ago.

http://lists.envirolink.org/pipermai...21/003871.html
Old 05-27-2004, 02:58 PM

It sort of sounds like the case I am referring to. I wonder what was the result of the suit or even if it has went to court yet.

Also does anyone remember his website?
Old 05-27-2004, 08:19 PM

I dont think that it has gone to trial yet. Even if it does..which ever way it goes it will be appealed to the state supreme court..and then we will only get a decision if they choose to hear it. I personally think it stinks that I can't hunt my own land here in Morgan County on sundays. I live on it and pay taxes for it so who is anyone to tell me what I can and cant do on it when it come to a perfectly legal activity any other time. I love hearing the "weak trespassing laws" arguement... if this is the case then pass tougher tresspassing laws. Heck they dont enforce the laws when it come to hunting half the time anyway. I reported poaching 4 times last year that I was witness to and not once did DNR show up or even call me about it... and do you think the poachers care what day of the week it is... come on. It is crap like this that just perpetuates the stereotypical image of West Virginians and I for one am growing very tired of it.