Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

crossbows in new york

Old 06-28-2004, 03:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: crossbows in new york

Hoofers, who said that a truelly disabled person shouldn't be able to hunt with a crossbow?
Old 06-29-2004, 08:16 AM
jbc

ORIGINAL: Charlie P

Hoofers, who said that a truelly disabled person shouldn't be able to hunt with a crossbow?
NYB's present leadership.
Old 06-29-2004, 11:42 AM

Kevin, are you saying you feel the crossbow is a bow? I certainly hope not seeing its a rifle type stock, shoulder held, always cocked, fired by a gun type trigger mechanism, shoot bolts- not arrows, capable of using rifle type scopes. Its hardly even close to the whole concept of archery.
The way I see it if others want to enjoy the early season take the time to learn how to shoot archery equipment. Thats why Its called ARCHERY SEASON.
Sorry dude, a bolt or arrow propelled by a tensioned cord of any materials with propulsion provided by mechanical deflection (limbs) is by definition "archery". It is under historical context, current weapon classification. And look at the KE of a CB bolt (lighter than most longer arrows), and yes the CB does have higher poundage, but nut for nut bolt for bolt it is the same almost as a 95% LO Compound. Further more it is not a "riflestock" it is a CB stock, they have entirely different functions although shaped similar. Actually the "riflestock" came from a CB, and yes CB's are "primitive weapons".

You bowhunter need to stop with all the elitism and exclusions only for your little clubs, and allow everyone regardless of tool to get a deer and quit putting conditions on it. Hunting is hunting, and bowhunters DO NOT have the moral high ground on hunting, you just think you do.

BTW, the National Association of Archery Manufacturers classify "Crossbow" as "archery" and they build them.

I M with you Kevin1
Old 05-12-2005, 09:46 AM

any updates? thank you
Old 05-13-2005, 07:15 PM

excuse my french ladies but why in the hell do people keep associating the crossbow with disability. i mean who died and left the decision that crossbows were created for disabled persons? come on crossbows have been around dam near before time itself. i am sorry crossbows were not manufactured for the disabled like wheelchairs were... then why for some reason you all keep saying or acting like the crossbow is a dedicated disability tool. one thing does not have anything to do with the other. thats like saying shotguns are for disabled people. yeah ok whatever. the way i see it is if you are so disabled you can not use a compound then you have no business using a crossbow. i think this whole deal with the disabled only using crossbows is a crock of **** .... heck i could go to my doctor tomorrow and get a signed letter that says i need to use a crossbow. its that easy.
Old 05-15-2005, 04:57 AM

what exactly is your point?

Crossbows are currently illegal in NY.
Old 05-19-2005, 02:20 PM
Typical Buck

I think somebody is calling up dinosaurs, either that or they read a paper or something. Possibly even just to stir it up.

This thread has been dead for a while, let lying dogs lay.
Old 05-19-2005, 02:20 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: thesource

what exactly is your point?

Crossbows are currently illegal in NY.
They are legal is the most absolute minimalist sense. You have to be pretty much dead to use one legally in hunting deer.
Old 05-19-2005, 02:22 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: mrwhitetailhunter

excuse my french ladies but why in the hell do people keep associating the crossbow with disability. i mean who died and left the decision that crossbows were created for disabled persons? come on crossbows have been around dam near before time itself. i am sorry crossbows were not manufactured for the disabled like wheelchairs were... then why for some reason you all keep saying or acting like the crossbow is a dedicated disability tool. one thing does not have anything to do with the other. thats like saying shotguns are for disabled people. yeah ok whatever. the way i see it is if you are so disabled you can not use a compound then you have no business using a crossbow. i think this whole deal with the disabled only using crossbows is a crock of **** .... heck i could go to my doctor tomorrow and get a signed letter that says i need to use a crossbow. its that easy.
Requirements for disabled in NYS as I know it requires the bow to be operated by breath tube due to physical disability. If your can do more than blow in a tube, you won't get the permit.
Old 05-19-2005, 03:13 PM
Typical Buck

Here is some things all you guys for xbows keep missing.

Laws are in place that make up what is leagal hunting wepons are to be used in a certain seasons. Thay do not tell you what class of wepon it may be [bow, rifle, hand gun].

So with that said a xbow falls in what most states say is illegal archery equipment! Here in montana you allso can not use any battery-powered,chemical or explosive items.It allso states that to be legal archery equipment,one hand has to me on the bow and one hand on the string or release,or release aid. The bow will be no shorter than 28 in.Arrows will weigh no LESS than 300 grains.

If you can make a xbow do this it can be used any time if not,it may only be use in rifle season.

They all so have very similar rules in Muzzleloader,handgun and shotgun seasons.

Just for examples

You can not use any sabots in muzzleloaders.

The barrel of a handgun can not be over 10 1/2 ins.

I know my 11 1/2 in 41 ruger can NOT be used in handgun units. But I sure know it is a hand gun.BUT if I want to hunt in a handgun unit I have to use a difrant wepon.Just as xbow users will need to use a difrant wepon to bow hunt here in Montana.

Quick Reply: crossbows in new york

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.