Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

crossbows in new york

Old 05-27-2004, 11:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: crossbows in new york

I'm really tired of this whole issue. We all feel bad for the handicapped persons. The handicapped persons have a right to hunt during archery season. The handicapped, older individuals are the only real persons pushing for legalization of the crossbow. On top of manufacturers to make a buck. The whole concept behind this Bill is allow handicapped persons to hunt during archery seasons. But yet if most handicapped persons would look into it more, they'd find there is away for them to continue using a bow. There are so many devices allowed for use on archery equipment now to enable most anyone to use a bow. Even drawing a bow with your foot & locking it in place with a drawlock device. Much like the X-bow. So if the real reason is to continue hunting in archery season, then why in the heck doesn't handicapped persons try to seek such means to continue using a bow. All 1 has to do is look at all the devices available under NYB's- physically challenged part of website.
There seems to be this big push to attempt, and make NYB look bad. But yet NYB has been helping handicapped persons for YEARS, and they continue to do so. I even offered to get help for RWK. SO WHEN WILL ONES WAKEUP LOOK AT THE TRUE BIG PICTURE FOR THE GOOD OF OUR SPORT, AND NOT SELFISHNESS.
Old 05-28-2004, 08:22 AM
jbc

In NY it is virtually impossible for a handicapped person to get a crossbow permit unless you are a full quad. If you can pull a trigger, sorry, no luck.

NYB fears if they give an inch crossbows will take over and able bodied people will see this "magical killing machine" and invade "their season". That may be a fight worth fighting but this is a different issue altogether.

Let the handicapped hunt for crying out loud. What are we talking, 50 deer statewide??
Old 05-28-2004, 08:43 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 05-28-2004, 10:17 AM
Boone & Crockett

Have you read the bill Buck Alley

Even drawing a bow with your foot & locking it in place with a drawlock device
Not in NY
Old 05-28-2004, 10:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ah yes I've read bill A9746. I've been involved in this issue over & over for the past several yrs. I do believe unless I'm mistaken somehow, the bill is to legalize the use of the crossbow, and all mechanical devices on archery equipment. Leaving the DEC to regulate as they see fit. This is different from handicapped persons having to obtain a special modified permit for archery equipment at the present time.
Yes it is very difficult for handicapped persons to obtain a special permit for CROSSBOW use. Part of that reason is because I believe you can obtain other permits for mechanical devices for archery equipment. Many handicapped persons are presently alreadly using such special devices.
That was my point of my previous response. If it is possible for handicapped persons to use many mechanical devices on archery equipment, then why would anyone want to legalize a crossbow!!!!!
Yes NYB, and including myself feel legalizing the crossbow even for handicapped persons will only become the stepping stone for future crossbow useage of anyone. After all getting it legalized for NYS is the first big step in the door. Plus some of the wording in the present bills for crossbows is sketchy on data, especially when compared to studies others have done. Here some info I found in the past. www.bowsite.com/pbs/crossbow.html
Old 05-29-2004, 08:26 AM
jbc

Buckalley,

Currently it is nearly impossible for a handicapped person in NY to obtain a crossbow permit unless extremely disabled. I know a person who cannot leave his wheelchair without help and cannot draw a bow more than 20lbs due to his disability. NY says he is too "able" to use a crossbow. NYB says the same. Any organization who would stand behind that regulation is not worth joining or supporting.

NY and all other states need more hunters. Nothing should ever me done to push people away from the sport. Expecially the disabled.
Old 05-29-2004, 12:45 PM

Crossbows have NO PLACE during bow season for anybody, Gun season is fine. I understand some people can't do the compound, but you know thats life. Handicapped can still enjoy a long and succesful deer season with Gun/BP/and Crossbow (if allowed). Do we have to change everything so everybody can do everything. I know... I am sure I would feel different if I had a problem, I would hope not but I probally would. For the record, I think its nuts not too allow cbows during gun and bp.
Old 05-29-2004, 02:41 PM
jbc

kelincp,

That is one of the most selfish comments I've ever read. As a bowhunter you should know that archery season is a very different hunting experience. To deny this season to a truly handicapped person is wrong. It's not like the'll be out there blasting up the woods. A crossbow is a quiet, single shot weapon. A handicapped person has little or no advantage and in fact may be at a severe disadvantage compared to a compound or traditional bow. They wouldn't be effecting YOUR experience in the least.
Old 05-29-2004, 04:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just curious - why is crossbow use in NY an issue for hunters in NJ?

Steve
Old 05-29-2004, 06:54 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Quick Reply: crossbows in new york

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.