Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Pa deer mgmt: an interesting post from another BB

Old 04-14-2004, 08:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Pa deer mgmt: an interesting post from another BB

this speaks for itself

....On winning 3 of the 5 well deserved national awards...

"Through aggressive changes in their deer management program over the past few years, the Pa Game Commission now is considered among the most progressive state wildlife agencies in the nation regarding quality deer management, said Brian Murphy, QDMA executive director."

"The agency has implemented statewide antler restrictions, liberalized doe harvest regulations, instituted concurrent deer seasons and more. Early results from this program are very encouraging and bode well for the future of the state's deer herds and deer hunters."

"QDMA's Professional Deer Manager of the Year Award recognizes the professional biologist or manager who, in their position, has done the most to promote the principles and practices of quality deer management."

"Dr. Alt was a hands-down winner for his efforts to promote quality deer management in one of the most difficult and occasionally hostile areas of the whitetail's range - Pennsylvania," Murphy said. "While Dr. Alt is recognized as a black bear expert and an award-winning photographer, his achievements in the whitetail arena over the past few years are perhaps his most significant.

"Since being appointed as supervisor of the Game Commission's Deer Management Section in 1999, he led the effort to bring many changes to Pennsylvania's deer management program including concurrent deer seasons, fall muzzleloader and gun deer seasons, increased bag limits, and statewide antler point restrictions. Over the past few years alone, Dr. Alt has given more than 200 lectures across Pennsylvania, conducted scores of TV, newspaper and radio interviews and written a number of articles."

QDMA Northeast Regional Director Kip Adams offered his congratulations to the Game Commission and Dr. Alt for being selected for these two awards.

"As a Pennsylvania resident, I'd like to congratulate the Game Commission on this prestigious award," Adams said. "As a friend and fellow deer biologist, I'm very proud that Dr. Alt was selected as the first-ever professional of the year.

"Although the agency and Dr. Alt provided the framework, Pennsylvania's deer hunters also deserve recognition since they are the ones that provided the 'on the ground' work."

So who do we believe?? The best biologists in the country like Kroll and Dr Woods, Alt, deer researchers, etc. +PGC + now QDMA..

...or three or four antis on this board?
Old 04-15-2004, 04:39 AM

Default RE: Pa deer mgmt: an interesting post from another BB

QDMA Northeast Regional Director Kip Adams offered his congratulations to the Game Commission and Dr. Alt for being selected for these two awards.

"As a Pennsylvania resident, I'd like to congratulate the Game Commission on this prestigious award," Adams said. "As a friend and fellow deer biologist, I'm very proud that Dr. Alt was selected as the first-ever professional of the year.

This is a totally meaningless award since Kip Adams had no clue what the OWDD goals were for the state .He was speechless when I showed him the goals at the Lehigh Valley Sports Expo,where Alt admitted the OWDD goals were wrong. Managing the herd at OWDD's that are lower than 50% below the true carrying capacity is contrary to the principles of QDM and would get any private deer manager fired..
Old 04-15-2004, 04:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

Guess it's a good thing he doesn't work for you, eh?
Old 04-15-2004, 05:17 AM
Boone & Crockett

Interesting quotes. Which website did you get them from?
Old 04-15-2004, 05:19 AM

He is working for me and for all hunters of PA. But, unfortunately what he has done is to reduce buck harvests to pre -1984 levels in just 2 years. It is hard to belive one man could do so much harm in that short a time period.

Here is a quote from John Ozoga about AR in DMU 118 in Mich.

Antler Restrictions

None of us like to see mandated antler restrictions. Currently, however, there seems no other way to save young bucks from harvest so that more of them reach maturity. In time, as the buck population becomes more structured, and hunters become more experienced, voluntary compliance is more likely.
Of course there are in fact other approaches that could be used ,such as limiting the number of buck tags or shortenting the seasons. The only reason they choose AR is because it is easy to get hunters to believe that there will be a huge increase in the number of big racked bucks,even though it isn't true.
Old 04-15-2004, 08:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

Deadeer it 's here deal with it........
Old 04-15-2004, 08:20 AM

Gosh DD, I bow before your expertise on the subject. You just don't get it do you big guy. Meaningless national awards. Cudos from other known and reknowned biologists. Meaningless. Your half arsed interpretation of Data, "presentation of "facts" (cough, cough) the truth, the light, and the way!!! Sounds like a plan to me. Cripes now I do believe you Mr. Slinsky... . Gosh, I'd love to here your advice on financial matters and child raising. You have so much to give.
I don't think you could give an unbiased, strictly fact based (without interpretation or misrepresentation or outright decietful twisting) presentation of PA deer management issues if your were assured of a million bucks for doing so. Your quilty of what you accuse Mr. Alt of doing hands down. I bet your house has no mirrors in it! Juniorpc
Old 04-15-2004, 08:25 AM

LIMITING ANTLER TAGS WOULD NNNEEVVVEEERR HAVE FLIED KNUCKLES!!! GOSH, your something!!! Man you must love monday mornings and the ability to throw the football around like you do without any rush......... What we should have done is limit the antler tags.. yeah, allow folks to not have the ability to harvest a buck. While I'm in favor of that, and yes It has a bunch of merit... It won't fly right now and surely wouldn't have in any of the years since Dr. Alt took over. Yeah gotta stay grounded in a bit of reality, just once, ok?!. AND if he had done that you'd be killing him for it - WITHOUT A DOUBT!!! Woah fella. Juniorpc.
Old 04-15-2004, 08:33 AM

Name one reknowed biologists that manages their herd at 13 DPSM. You can't do it ,because there is no biologist other than those in the PGC who would attempt something so silly.

Alt also got an award from the Safari Club and they praised him for all the big racks produced by AR,even though none of the buck harvested in 2002 were the product of AR. The big buck guys in the QDM and Sarfari Club love Alt because they don't understand his OWDD goals or the true results from the antler buck study. They were all hynotized by those big racks Alt was waving during his lecture series.
Old 04-15-2004, 09:01 AM

Name one state that has the browse line we do. We have more fern than any other two or three states combined. Sure you don't want to hunt outta state? Just want you happy is all. Juniorpc.

Quick Reply: Pa deer mgmt: an interesting post from another BB

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.