Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

alt wants 5 pt zone

Old 04-02-2004, 03:19 PM

Default alt wants 5 pt zone

gary alt wants the state of pa to be 5 points on each antler statewide..i dont know if that will flush to well with the hunters. you guys know its april fools. peace.
Old 04-03-2004, 04:32 PM

Default RE: alt wants 5 pt zone

They have that in ILL. in several areas. Funny, you don't hear the hunters crying there. But, I guess the understand the benifits and the role of QDM a lot better out there. Dofferent mind set. TGK
Old 04-03-2004, 09:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Actually, Illinois statewide law allows hunters to shoot spikes just like our old regs. Whats good about Illinois is that their hunters recognize the need to let a buck mature and realize his antler potential. They also dont have that ingrained aversion to killing does that we are just starting to see fade away around here.
Old 04-04-2004, 06:42 AM

The only PA hunters that have an ingrained aversion to killing doe are the archers that spend six weeks passing on doe while waiting for that big 8 pt. Alt promised and then don't harvest a doe.
Old 04-04-2004, 10:36 AM

Most archers that I know look to shoot a doe or 2 during the first couple of days or weeks of the season then hold out during the pre-rut and rut for a nice buck. Archers eat doe meat too.
Old 04-04-2004, 12:07 PM

That may be true for those that you know but it certainly doesn't apply to the rest of the state . Archers harvested 30.8K buck and 34K anterless for a ratio of 1:1.1. The PS antlered to anterless raio was about 1:4, so the average archer should have had more that 4 opportunities to harvest an anterless deer than an antlered deer,but that is not refected in the harvest data. That means the most of the archers are passing on anterless and waiting for a buck.
Old 04-04-2004, 04:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

There goes the Spin Doctor again![:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(]
Old 04-04-2004, 04:35 PM

Those are the cold hard facts. If you can't handle them that is your problem not mine.
Do you have any facts to refute the spin doctor?
Old 04-04-2004, 05:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well, Oh mighty spin Doctor, how about the fact that most archers were only able to get 2 doe tags. How about the fact that many dont need or want to kill more than one doe followed by a buck. How about the fact that some archers like to save one tag for rifle or muzzleloader. What deer902 said is a very common strategy to archers. You should stick to things you know, but, once again, you have taken facts that do exist , put them into the DD blender and mixed things all up and produced yet another DD "pearl of wisdom".

But go ahead, have at it, it's getting kind of amusing.
I doubt anyone really takes you seriously anymore.
Old 04-04-2004, 06:38 PM

Well, Oh mighty spin Doctor, how about the fact that most archers were only able to get 2 doe tags.
So the poor undepriveledged archers were only able to get two doe tags. Isn't that a shame. with 300K archers and 2 doe tags /hunter that is 600K doe tags used to harvest 34K anterless deer. So archers filled one out of 17 doe tags during archery season,when they had 6 weeks to harvest a doe. To put it another way ,roughly one out of 10 archers harvested a doe in 2003, while one out of three rifle hunters harvested a doe. now who is doing the work of managing the herd while others are sitting back reaping the benefits ? Could it be those of us who are archers?

If you save a tag for ML season ,you are a rifle hunter not a bow hunter ,unless you use a bow in the late season . Don't expect archers to receive credit for killing a doe with a ML in the late season.

Quick Reply: alt wants 5 pt zone

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.