Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Pa Deer hunters-Help me with my term Paper...

Old 04-01-2004, 10:17 AM

Default RE: Pa Deer hunters-Help me with my term Paper...

Alt particpated in gathering the data that was presented in the antler buck survey and that is the information that was used to establish the parameters for AR. To claim that the study is invalid or skewed is to claim that AR was based on flawed data and was not based on good science.

The data was not collected from taxidermists shops ,it was collected in the field or at deer processors. They used a valid sampling technique that has been used for many years and our whole deer management system is based on the data collect by the teams that collect this data every year.
Old 04-01-2004, 10:56 AM

I didn't say thier data was invalid. Your interpretation of thier data was invalid. You can't make the assummtions you make from the data you looked at and claim them as fact. You created your own "facts" and stated them as the truth. Your interpretation is not valid or true. Did you notice that they did not make the same calculations you did from the data. Why- because you can't. You just can't. Another thing you can't do is present these as "facts" to someone doing a research paper. Which is why, before even looking at your link I stated that the young man doing the paper should do his own research. He could use thier tables for what they were intended. And yes, taxidermy surveys were used for data collection in the antler point study among the other places I mentioned. DD's facts are like a box of chocolate. You don't know what you got until you bite into them. I'm done going back and forth with him on this post though, not what it was intended for, but I did need to point out the innaccurracies in his 'Facts". Juniorpc
Old 04-01-2004, 11:19 AM

Not true because it does not take in other (though smaller percentage age classes) and second becuase it's not a representative sample of the bucks harvested.
You clearly stated that the survey results were not a representative sample of the bucks harvested and that would make the results of the survey invalid. You claim they used check stations ,but they didn't. You claimed they used taxidermists but you can't support that claim with a link. Stop trying to mislead Remington and let the reports speak for themselves.

Why haven't you provided any links to help him with his research ? Why not give him a link to the Clare Co. AR program in Mich. where they are repealing AR after 5 years or the Catloosa Program in Tenn.?
Old 04-01-2004, 02:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Gotta give you credit DD. You have done some homework. Some of those links have some noteworthy info that we all ought to consider. I'm not saying that they all apply to Pa's situation and I will say I'm sure you have chosen carefully to make sure your views are helped along here but at least you have given Remlover some reference material.

If you would refrain from bombarding us all with your personal interperetations of data like this you might gain some credibility around here.

Regardless f our differences of OPINION, you did the right thing for remlover's term paper research with that post containing all the links.
Old 04-01-2004, 03:33 PM

As you read some of the links you will see that the articles address both sides of the issue. Most AR supporters only cite the good news from these articles and I highlight the potential negative aspects in an attempt to provide some balance. Most PA hunters are only exposed to Alt's views on AR since very few outdoor writers do any research or question what he is telling use. Most just reguritate the PGC press releases and add a few comments of their own ,in a feeble attempt to make it appear they know what they are talking about.
Old 04-01-2004, 05:32 PM

Thanks guys! I am gonna check out the links for possible use as documented sources that I can use in my bibliography.

I had been keeping up on the news as it came out on the PGC website, so that ought to give me a good handle on what the PGC has to say about it. I dont let other people make up my desicion for me, this is why I am doing this paper- so I can get a better more clear undestanding. so dont worry...

When the paper is done I could post it, but it is supposed to be at least 8 pages and no one wants to read anything that long... much less write it, but the subject has got me captivated, making it quite a bit more bearable.
Old 04-01-2004, 05:49 PM

If you don't post it ,send me a email. I want to read it. If you need anymore links I have a few more that might help. If you have any questions just post them and I will see if I can find an answer.
Old 04-01-2004, 08:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Remingtonlover, I bet a lot of folks would enjoy reading your finished product. Put it on as a link or an attachment. If that wont work I'd welcome it as an email