Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Maine anti bear hunting referendum ... Hearing Scheduled

Old 03-28-2004, 11:25 PM

Default Maine anti bear hunting referendum ... Hearing Scheduled

A hearing is scheduled on Maine's anti bear hunting referendum. If anti hunting groups like the hsus who are pushing this referendum are successful, it would eliminate methods which account for 90% of Maine's annual bear harvest.

The Public Hearing on LD 1938, An Act to Prohibit Certain Bear Hunting Practices, has been schedule for Wednesday, March 31, 2004 from 1:30 to 4:30 (break) and from 5:30 until everyone that wishes has had a chance to testify. It will be at the Augusta Civic Center. It is important that as many of you as possible attend the hearing to demonstrate the widespread public opposition to this legislation.

Anyone is welcome to testify if you wish, but please plan to attend even if you don't wish to speak. Not only will it be interesting, but it will give you an idea of what we are up against in this fight to protect our hunting, trapping and guiding privileges. If you plan to testify, please prepare your comments in advance and keep them short (the Committee will likely limit speakers to no more than 5 minutes). Try to prepare testimony that will be unique and not merely repeat what someone else has already said. Nothing bores legislators more than the same things being repeated over and over again. Try to explain how this bill will have a negative impact on you and/or your business.

Please wear an article of clothing that identifies you as a hunter, trapper or guide. A coalition "Fight for Maine's Hunting Heritage" hat would be very appropriate if you have one. (Make sure to take it off if you get up to testify!) Orange MTA buttons will be available for MTA members that attend the hearing. I'll be offering the testimony on behalf of Maine's Fish and Wildlife Conservation Council and, may (if I'm allowed to do it) ask all those that oppose the bill to stand up, so please be prepared for that. There will not be any official testimony from SAM, the MTA or the MPGA other than what I'll be giving, but any of our members are certainly welcome to testify. I'll be giving my testimony early in the hearing. The proponents will likely get the first half-hour. Then we'll get a half hour, etc. (At least, that's how it usually works.)
--Skip Trask

http://www.mta.homestead.com/
Old 04-04-2004, 09:16 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Maine anti bear hunting referendum ... Hearing Scheduled

hey Tim, how about a review of how the meeting went?