Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Pa hunters interesting study

Old 03-23-2004, 10:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Pa hunters interesting study

HUNTERS IN BUNCHES

A recent study of deer hunters using global positioning system technology in Pennsylvania revealed that the vast majority of hunters were bunched in flat areas less than a third of a mile from the road.

The study, conducted in Clinton County by Penn State University, showed that after the first day of the season hunter density dropped to one hunter every eight square miles once one ventured more than a third of a mile from the road. The highest hunter density measured in the study came on the first day when when the density was measured as about 1.75 hunters per square mile.

Maybe this is why you didn't killa smany deer as usual.
Old 03-23-2004, 10:43 AM

Default RE: Pa hunters interesting study

The reason we didn't kill as many deer as usual is AR. Without AR the buck harvest would have been over 203K and with an anterless harvest of 523K we would have had a record harvest of 526+ K. As a result we carried over an additional 62K deer through a severe winter ,with overbrowsed habitat after a poor mast crop last fall.
Old 03-23-2004, 11:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

A recent study of deer hunters using global positioning system technology in Pennsylvania revealed that the vast majority of hunters were bunched in flat areas less than a third of a mile from the road.
Sounds like where I hunt....

I would love to see a GPS type survey done on the SGL that I frequent. Being able to have an actual overhead display hunter dispersement would probably lead to alot of revelations about deer movement.
Old 03-23-2004, 11:42 AM

Also, the reason this years harvest was different than prior years was due to several factors. This year, the first week of deer, the wind and snow were very bad and the deer were not moving. The latter part of the second week, the weather was better but less people usually hunt than. With only 2 weeks of regular rifle and most people work, and with no Sunday hunting, what do you expect will happen?

Also, as the bucks get older and smarter, by me they head over to the private communities where the deer are safe and can not be shot. Than they move out once hunting season is over.

The only thing we get with AR is some older bucks, and less deer harvests.

T
Old 03-23-2004, 01:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

deadeer, Obviously you didn't see the guy winking,means I was kidding. Relax.
Old 03-23-2004, 02:08 PM

AR??- Andy Rooney is the reason we didn't kill so many deer?? Interesting how many bucks were carried over now as oppossed to before AR. I'll let ole DD tell you. Juniorpc.
Old 03-23-2004, 02:17 PM

This is an impossibility anywhere in this state except in the northern tier counties. If you walk 1/2 mile into the woods elsewhere, guaranteed you'll run into somebody from the other side.
Old 03-23-2004, 02:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yea they should do a hunter density in some of the less remote areas of the state. That place is about one of the most remote places we have. 2 hunters per square mile opening day....that's a joke. More like 30-40 in most places, if not higher.
Old 03-23-2004, 07:01 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-23-2004, 08:06 PM

That is Alt's plan ,not mine!

Quick Reply: Pa hunters interesting study

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.