Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Sullivan County-Monticello-Hurleyville (3H)

Old 03-19-2004, 06:49 AM

Default Sullivan County-Monticello-Hurleyville (3H)

the coyotes and bears are overpopulating in this area of NY and killing the deer population mostly in hurleyville and my family owns 63 acres in the town of hurleyville and there basically is NO deer sign.... I just dont get it.... Didnt even harvest a deer up there this year RIFLE OR BOW OR EVEN MUZZLELOADER!!!! My dad had a shot at a 7 though but it was 40 yards out and he wasnt confident that he could make the shot WITH THE BOW..... Im looking for a way to get rid of these animals or how to find them... never did see a coyote or bear up there....
Old 03-24-2004, 05:02 PM

Default RE: Sullivan County-Monticello-Hurleyville (3H)

i was born and raised in hurleyville , i moved about 15 miles away 3 years ago. and i can tell you there are coyotes , but their are also plenty of deer in this area .
Old 03-25-2004, 06:30 AM
Fork Horn

For starters...yes there are alot of Coyotes over there. Bear? Not o sure......

But I'll be damned if there are no deer over there!!! I hunt over in Woodbourne, which is the next town over from Hurleyville.....there are deer up the ying yang over there....

Not a day goes by when I'm hunting over there, that I dont see a deer. To tell you the truth I've never seen a bear or coyote over there. I hunt right off of Rt. 52 near Woodbourne
Old 03-25-2004, 11:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

one point - in general, bear and coyotes do not eat live deer (bear prefer berries, insects, etc. and coyotes can find mice squirrels, etc. much easier)
coyotes will group up and take young, sick, old deer and can take newborns solo, but not their prime source of food

they will both eat dead deer (yum)
Old 03-25-2004, 11:58 AM

Sorry Doughboysigep, I have seen Coyoties bring down a deer and I have a friend that filmed a black bear attack a buck on video. I would setup trail cams to see if you really have bear & coyoties and also put out some deer feed, with a trial cam too. If you want help getting rid of the bear and coyoties Squirrel , let me know.. I'll be more then happy to help with the hunt.
Old 03-25-2004, 01:42 PM

its illegal to put out deer feed in NY due to the unknown start of CWD....
Old 03-25-2004, 04:52 PM

then plant a food plot, butting out corn 5 to 6 months before season and stoping it 1 month before is legal. well that is what I was told.
Old 03-25-2004, 06:46 PM

Because of the fear of CWD, it is illegal to feed deer all year round, whether you are hunting or not. I live in western NY. Last fall a 60 year old woman was prosecuted for this because she wouldn't stop feeding the deer in her backyard that butted up to a big park. I guess they wanted to make an example out of her.
Old 03-25-2004, 07:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

dd I say that they absolutely will not eat deer????
NO, I said that it is not their primary food source and with that implied that they don't have a huge impact on the deer population. And that is true - go check some biology books. There are always exceptions to the rule.
I may eat at KFC one time and someone could see me there. Can that person assume I eat there every night??? No.
Old 03-26-2004, 04:02 AM

a friend of mine was brought up on charges in n.y. for feeding deer. he told the d.e.c. he was feeding turkeys. he then advised the d.e.c. to keep the deer of his land. the charges were dropped .

Quick Reply: Sullivan County-Monticello-Hurleyville (3H)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.