Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Pa Hunters-The Numbers Are Out!

Old 03-21-2004, 07:34 AM

Default RE: Pa Hunters-The Numbers Are Out!

The 1.6 M figure was used at the Audubon Conference . Here is how the OWDD have increased according to the new computer model.

2001---1,088,219
2002---1,117,450
2003---1,130,467

The 2003 harvest will increase the OWDD for 2004 by about 6%.
Old 03-21-2004, 07:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

wow, see what ya miss when your away for a awhile.

I missed this past year up in PA but I will be there next year. I am glad to see the reduction on bucks taken so as far as I am concerned then it has been sucessful also with an increase in doe harvest too. Seems like it worked out like a charm. I don't see how this was a failure at all we increased the doe harvest and decreased the buck harvest so to increase the bucks age group. Sucess in MY book. Wow by next year I should see some real nice deer. Thanks Alt.

Brian
Old 03-21-2004, 07:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

BTB hey how you been? long time no read.

Brian
Old 03-22-2004, 08:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

Get caught up in that danged "makin a living thing" every once in awhile and just get out of the habit of signin on sometimes. Glad to see your still around too Brian!

Bob
Old 03-22-2004, 08:59 AM

Seems like it worked out like a charm. I don't see how this was a failure at all we increased the doe harvest and decreased the buck harvest so to increase the bucks age group.

If it had workrd like a charm the 2003 harvest would have been greater than the 2002 harvest. There is little value in saving 1.5 bucks if they are not going to be harvested by hunters as 2.5+ buck and that is what the 2003 harvest showed

The antlered buck study showed we harvested 66% of the 2.5 buck being tracked. If that harvest rate applied to the 38K buck saved by AR in 2002 , the 2003 harvest should have increased by 25 K ,but instead it declined by 23 K. That is not good news.
Old 03-22-2004, 09:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

But and this is a big butt. Since these deer survived another year they are smarter and wiser and are harder to kill with more education. They just don't walk up on you. So maybe the pa hunters need to hunt harder or should I say smarter. Its fun work and thats way its such a great feeling when we are sucessful on a mature buck. Most people I have ever seen hunting just sit in the woods 200 yards in expecting to get a wall hanger. Not going to happen. You have to put you homework in. These next few years are going to be great.

Bob, I have not been working again do to a bad car accident last year in 2002.oh its wasn't my fault either. I went back to work only for 6 months only part time and am out of work again. I am getting surgery done. I have had surgery done on my shoulder and feels much better now but still need 2-3 more surgeries to be finished. Both hands need to be done do to nerve damage done during the car accident. Then maybe my right elbow to but thats just a maybe if the hands don't fix the problem. I have just been a bit depressed to say the least and lazy by not signing on. Right now I just find it hard to get excited or up for anything. Feels like I am drowning. But better days are ahead I hope.

Talk to ya later.

Brian
Old 03-22-2004, 12:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Keep your chin up there Brian Just remember, those Pa bucks are gettin older and bigger awaiting your return
Old 03-22-2004, 02:16 PM

If the older buck are so much smarter how did we kill 52.6K 2.5+ buck in 2002 before there were any buck saved by AR. If hunters were any more effective none of the 80 K buck carried over in 2002 would have survived the 2003 season and we would have fewer 3.5 buck than Pre -AR. The antler buck study showed we harvested 66% of the buck being tracked.

Remember ,AR does not add any additional legal buck to the PS herd so we will never have the buck harvests of 203K that we had in 2000 and 2001. If herd reduction is successful buck harvests will never exceed 180K and it is much more likely that the harvest will decline to 110K. After AR was implemented in ARK. the buck harvest declined by 40% in 5 years. A 40% decrease in PS would mean a harvest of 120K . That is what we have to look forward to.
Old 03-22-2004, 04:34 PM
Fork Horn

As I said before BLLLAAAAAAACCCHHHHHHHHHHHHH, sorry guys all over the keyboards and my monitor. Now I gotta clean it up.
Old 03-23-2004, 10:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

ilbback said it all!

Anyone got a good price on a new keyboard?

Quick Reply: Pa Hunters-The Numbers Are Out!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.