Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Pa Hunters-The Numbers Are Out!

Old 03-19-2004, 08:00 AM

Default RE: Pa Hunters-The Numbers Are Out!

Alt said we would have more and bigger buck than we ever had before in PA and that his plan would balance the herd with the habitat. Neither objective has been met so his plan has failed.
I would have to say that the 2-1/2 and older buck numbers are probably up a good deal - Problem is they are much harder to kill. IMO his plan puts more of these deer in the woods - but they arn't gonna stroll by you like them spikes.

They are out there - Its up to the hunters to go get em!
Old 03-19-2004, 08:09 AM

Deaddeer is now officially put in charge of PA's deer herd. Because he obviously knows when a plan isn't working. Heck he had 20, 30, or more years of living with a plan that wasn't working (depending on his age) to be an expert on knowing when something isn't working. He also has one of those spotlights that make things seem farther away and smaller than they really are. All the bucks he saw while spotlighting this past year were the same age and antler size as he's always seen. Now anyone with a bright bulb knows that's not true. Keep churning it out buddy. I think what he meant to say is that Unified, Slinskie, Veneski, etc's plan to derail Alt's correcting of deer managment has failed. Folks get confused sometimes walking through all that fern in Pike county. Juniorpc.
Old 03-19-2004, 08:36 AM
Typical Buck

Here we go again guys[]
Old 03-19-2004, 04:19 PM

Since we are here at this subject again. Keep shooting the does MEN!
Old 03-19-2004, 04:38 PM

I would have to say that the 2-1/2 and older buck numbers are probably up a good deal - Problem is they are much harder to kill. IMO his plan puts more of these deer in the woods - but they arn't gonna stroll by you like them spikes.
If 2.5+ buck are so much harder to kill, how did our lazy stupid hunters manage to kill 52.6 K 2.5 + buck in 2002? Now here is a riddle for you. If we carried over 80K buck from 2002 and we had 1.6M PS deer, how many of the buck harvested in 2003 were 2.5+ buck and how many were 1.5 buck ?

AR was supposed to increase the number of 2.5 + buck in the harvest and if it did then the 2.5+ buck harvest would have been over 53k 2.5+ buck and that means the 1.5 harvest would have been under 89K. Now what does that mean to you?
Old 03-19-2004, 04:43 PM

Now anyone with a bright bulb knows that's not true. Keep churning it out buddy.
Can we agree Alt was hired to balance to reduce the herd with the habaitat? Then ,can we agree that 1.6 M PS deer in 2003 is more than 1.5 M PS deer in 2000? If we agree on that ,then can we agree that alt's herd reduction plan was not successful?
Old 03-19-2004, 05:42 PM
Fork Horn

Notice I am keeping my mouth shut on this one[:@]
Old 03-19-2004, 08:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Awwww c'mon Illbback. Jump right in. The bull__t ...er, the waters fine!
Old 03-20-2004, 09:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

We've all seen that 1.6 million number used since Dunkle said it earlier. Is there any documented evidence of that being the Pre Season Estimated Deer Herd population other than that one instance of Dunkle saying it in an interview(if I remeber correctly that's the only time it was used)? Not trying to get everyone all excited about anything, just asking.
Old 03-20-2004, 10:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I personally do not think that the PA buck hunting will ever be as good as some other states. Simply becuase we have way more hunter on average than most states and take most of the bucks as soon as they become legal. I am fottunate to hunt private ground we manage for big bucks here. Public land is over hunted and by seasons end, most of the herd there is exhausted. Its funny, some areas are polluted with deer while others are not. The game commission doesn't address management by areas, but state-wide. Sure, they have taken steps to break down the management by setting up MU's, but I still don't think thats enough.

As for the antler restrictions, I like the idea a lot. But honestly, I don't think they will be effective here. As I stated, a lot of areas simply do not grow big bucks very often. Not because of hunter kill, but genetics and food supply isn't as good.

Quick Reply: Pa Hunters-The Numbers Are Out!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.