Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Cougars in Southern NY State

Old 11-08-2004, 08:13 PM

Default RE: Cougars in Southern NY State

I have researching these cats for 2 years now, trust me the are here.
Visit my site at [email protected] I would like to hear more from you.
Old 11-08-2004, 08:20 PM

Hi, sorry to hear about hte horse, did any one take pictures of the horse? was the neck bitten? What part of the horse eaten? I am extremely interested in this story been doing sightings for 2 years, we had a dead horse or more here, DEC denies all!
Please visit my web site...www.Trackincats.com it is a new site, still being built, much more to add.
Deer in the tree at 25 feet, that is a cougar........Caution, but get a picture,the cat is not far away.
Old 11-09-2004, 05:05 AM

that would be great to see and hear
Old 11-09-2004, 06:10 AM
Fork Horn

I will be going up to the Catskills again this weekend and I will try to find out some more about this story. I will also see if it made the paper, and I will try to get the article if it did.
Old 11-09-2004, 03:29 PM

Funny tonight as I walked in the door there was a story on WHDH channel 7 out of Boston regarding Mountain Lion sightings in Acton MA which is about an 45 min to an hour w/nw of Boston. The city has even gone as far as posting the sightings as a warning on a flashing highway sign.

Just went to their web site and there is a brief story of about 2 paragraphs. Supposedly one sighting involve the cat chasing deer.
Old 11-09-2004, 07:46 PM

Hey guys, alloutdoors is right, a "black panther" is a leopard or jaguar, and the 1st time a snowflake began it's decent, guess what? No more "black panther"
Old 11-11-2004, 07:45 AM

Thanks (NHBuck) for the information in News paper, every body should go on and look at the road sign that they put up! Do you think Mass. would take that step if Mountian Lions were not present? Hats off to them! I have taken 4 more sighting reports this week. all very credible. I do have pictures of tracks, and a burial and scat. The pictures I could post trying to get them on my web site, the "scat" cost $200.00 to be tested, out of New York State. Why I have not spent the money?, well DEC will say it is an escaped pet if it test positive, so why do it at this point? Just so you all know I don't believe DEC has released cats, but do I think other agencies, with lots of money, and believe the predator should be here, could be part of the reason we have a population. To all of you, get "armed with cameras"carry one at all times, and the field cameras work GREAT! These cats show themselves for about 15-20 seconds, so with that much time do you think that might be why pictures are not flying around?
Old 11-12-2004, 10:55 AM

Well I have to admit, I am always a skeptic till i see for myself.

I saw the first sighting we had about 5 years ago and never had one since. That one was definitely a large full grown cougar.

yesterday went home for lunch at about 1ish. we got about a 1/4 mile drive and as soon as I pulled into drive ............

Bingo........ sticking out like a yellow lab would in middle of green yard there lies a yellow tanish cat in exact area as was previously seen week before.

I got half way to house and directly perpendicular to the cat at about 40 yards from vehicle.

Just watching me......not looking alarmed by my pressence. I know I should have just passed and gotten the camera at the house as he was obviously staying put.

And completely baffled as to what the heck I'm looking at as it was not quite the same as what I had previously seen 5 years ago.

Well stupid me stops, gets out of car to get the thing to move to better judge what the heck i'm looking at.

It allowed me to get within about 20/25 yards before it split.

Approx 50 ish pounds and large roundish pug nose type cat face. right about knee hight to it's back. and large head ....... not quite bowling ball sized but bigger than softball for sure.

Fur winged ears .......... bobcat was bouncing about my brain and still is. the winged ears, fuzzy neck jowels BUT.......

then he ran and obvious long tail and it was whitish lightish tipped but thick furred.

looked as tho it was possibly a long haired cat or possibly a winter coat or cub coat......not sure what cougar cubs look like.

it did have whitish features about it's chin and chest and there may have been very very slight spotting on the fur but for most part yellow tan with whitish lightish highlights. was trying to focus on any markings while it was running

Possibly a 6 month old cougar.........I don't know.

I have seen bobcats in person and it was right for that structure wise but was a bit larger than the bobcat I've seen and it had a definite large defined tail. Plus not much so called spotting in the fur although there was some very light spots in the coat.

thinking possibly a crossbread or hybrid of some sort of cat .......never heard of that but i suppose it's possible.

went to where it was lying and discovered why it keeps coming back to the area.

it's found a giant mole hill, rodent community. it lies on this 18 foot round mound that has rodent holes all over it. it lies next to the holes trying to hunt the rodents and it been seen there twice now within 2 weeks so safe to assume it will be back again during the day.

Obviously if he's found that and been back a second confirmed time ...... it must be around the area and regularly traveling the area. or if it's a cub.......where's moma and wheres the den?

I got a 20 pound house cat that's not a fat cat and he drawfs my cat to say the least.....atleast twice the size

we got some light snow today which should make for some good tracking and scouting this weekend but don't want to disturb any of the neighbors hunting........not to mention hike their posted land durning hunting season

disposable camera now kept in car.

nice website by the way.
Old 11-12-2004, 10:19 PM

Wow, this past week has been incredible with sightings..........including one myself! Which I will share when its not so late. Suggestion, invest in a field camera you can get them at Dicks for about $60.00, they work great, be sure to use new and good brand batteries, I use 400 film. Set the picture time at 1 per minute. I am glad you went to web site, I would like very much if you would go back and fill out your sighting report.....it is easy just fill in the blanks. If I have others in your neighborhood I will notify you e-mail, thats what helps with not only location but familys.(females, Toms, Kittens etc.)
Good job, keep eyes open camera ready!
Old 11-13-2004, 01:00 PM

The part i love about this is it's always a conspiracy by the D.E.C. to keep there activities
top secret. And why are they always black cats and not the regular brown ones. You really think that the dec would let cougars loose without checking with local and state goverment. If there are cougars in NY or anyother state where there not suppose to be they where pets that got loose or released buy morons that thought they would neat pets or black market contraband.

Quick Reply: Cougars in Southern NY State

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.