Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Cougars in Southern NY State

Old 03-31-2004, 07:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Cougars in Southern NY State

Cat_spotter sent me an email with a .bmp pic attached. it definetley shows a black cat of some kind. the pic is blurry, and certainly could be a house cat captured on zoom, but it is interesting to look at. he's got a good story to go along with it.

I'm not about calling anyone a liar or a hoaxer, so i will let him post the pic and you all can draw your own conclusions.

i personally dont think that it's a cougar, because it is definetly BLACK, and the chance of a melanistic cougar in new york (or anywhere, for that matter) is slim to none. The only thing for SURE is that he captured SOMETHING CAT LIKE on video.
but, till i see DNA evidence of a WILD cougar in NY, i'll remain VERY skeptic.

i agree with the others, hungry cougars do not make good hunting partners! they can keep 'em out west! I've got enough problems with attack-racoons in my treestands, let alone a 200lb fang and claw kitty cat![:-]
-moose
Old 03-31-2004, 09:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

Wasn't the FBI looking for fugitive Black Panthers back in the 70's and 80's .
Old 03-31-2004, 09:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

IF in fact it is a black panther they are know to inhabit the border between Mexico and US occasionally . It would be quite a traveler to make it up there. Probably some dumba*s recreation of Born Free with his pets.
Old 04-10-2004, 05:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have never seen one in NY, but that doesnt mean they arent here. I dont beleive that the DEC has released them, But i believe that it is possible that they can migrate into the area. Just liek ebars do, we dont have any bears around here,,but every once in a while one is seen. Animals move, and they can move into areas that they arent usually in, IT IS POSSIBLE. And if someone's pets get out, and live in the wild, and reproduce, at what point would you consider them wild?

A few years ago people did spot a cougar in my town, no i never saw it, no i havent seen a picture of, but yes, it is possible. I think my cousin was among the people who saw it. EVen if that one did not exist, it OCULD HAVE.
Old 11-05-2004, 02:04 PM

I'm posting this just as I created this account just for this topic. and had a sighting few days ago.......why i'm surfing now. I am an avid outdoor person and have spent plenty of time in the NY woods of the southern tier.

I live in Broom county right on the southern teir of new york bodering almost right on the tiago/broom border just west of binghamton ny.

I don't live but barely 10 minutes outside of town.

yes we could hunt right off our porch.....not that I hunt anymore.

between myself and one other household member we have had 4 sightings on our property over the past 6 years.

Each sighting resulted in the cat/cats sprinting at top speed to get out of site as fast as possible. Each sighting happened at various times of the year and how fast those animals are.......have not left us any chance to foto them. Done some light scouting for prints but nothing.

As for going out LOOKING for them..........not this cat(definitely a pun intended), not me no way no how. I aint big guy and no longer own guns. be just my luck that I'll find it.......or should i say......it finds me.

These are not black cats that we see here but solidly tan in color and the stand out feature that can't be mistaken is that large thick long signature dark tipped mountain lion tail.

I had the first sighting out of the four and it took me 4 monthes to accept the fact that what i saw was mostlikely a mountain lion. I argueed it in every way i could ......untill the second sighting

Whatever they are........they are big(100+lbs easy), fast(40mph no problem), and definitely a cat

Bobs have no 3 foot long thick bush tails.......quite obvious there. As for a linx.......I thought possibly but there were no other markings or colors that a linx would have.....not to mention the size difference tween a linx and a full size cougar.

The big one we have seen is about hip height to it's back and we saw that one twice with what appeared to be a cub or yearling cat compared to the big one in size.

we seen it once in spring, twice in summer, and once not but 5 days ago right in our back yard.

instead of getting the camera.....the numbnut i live with sat there trying to get a better look to see if they should get a camera.......made visual with the cat and the cat split. [:@]

These rare cats, whatever they might be are definitely cats, are definitely over 100 pounds, very very fast in full open field run, and each time we have seen them, they see us.........make like a ghost in a hurry.

Those of you may or may not believe what is being said in this thread, one thing is for sure. Those of us that have seen them in NY will atest that what we saw was a cat, was over 100 pounds and most likely a cougar.

Don't believe it, you don't have to.

Someone said they saw one in same area to another aquaintance of mine and they saying they got a foto ........... I'm pestering my awuaintance to get his hands on it as all this has happened in about the last 5 days. he thinks i'm nuts for even saying so and then the next day a friend of his says he got a foto. we shall see. i don't doubt he saw it as I have also.

The stories of the black ones surprise me a bit but I've lived in vermont for 8 years and stories abound up that way of sightings of large large black cats in and area near where i lived up there. aint but a 4 hour drive

They know to stay away from people that is for sure.

Also have heard of cougar sightings up over a few valleys into the newark valley area north of owego in tioga ny about 15 miles as the crow flies from me, maybe 30 miles from ithaca area. There is a lot of space in upstate ny and they could easily roam without ever being seen.

Also heard a very very large dog sound off with a howl this summer.........we got yotes regularly around the house and this was no yote. I'm not saying this was a wolf as it could very well have been a very very large coy dog. anyone who has been around dogs knows the difference tween a 50 pound yote yelp and a 150/200 pound dog howl. Looked but couldn't find and it only sounded once.

16 years living here, never heard a dog like that up there ...... or anywhere for that matter, would have liked to see it.

Believe it or not it's your choice but ......... big tan cats are in NY that resemble mountain lions, cougars, panthers, puma, or whatever name you want to give them.

I'll see if i can't get my hands on this so called "foto"
Old 11-06-2004, 05:28 AM

many animals avoid being found by man and are seen from time to time but not found when searched for. so are put up as not real just stories only time will tell if the big cats have come home
Old 11-06-2004, 06:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

(cue circus music)..........here we go again!
Old 11-06-2004, 09:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yup....Them radio collared cougars and coyotes are running ALL OVER THE PLACE...!!..

It's a WONDER you can drive down the road without running OVER one.......

Don't worry, guys and girls, The NYS DEC is not the ONLY State Agency that is conducting this INSIDEOUS CONSPIRACY to populate the state with obnoxious and dangerous critters...

The BEST one that I heard was that the PA Game Commission was stocking RATTLESNAKES to control the TURKEY population...Try to figure a connection THERE......

Then the Arkansas Game Commission was PARACHUTING beavers into areas to create more wetlands...

And ON and ON and ON....

I don't even try to argue anymore when somebody tells me matter-of factly about all those coyotes and painters and catamounts and other mythical creatures that the state has stocked on the sly..

I just NOD and SMILE and then go on my WAY....

Old 11-08-2004, 01:35 PM
Fork Horn

Well, I have posted about this topic in the past, and I know everybody is gonna make fun of me, but I don't care. My brother and a very good friend of mine were turkey hunting in delaware county last spring and my brother and the other guy were walking together when they saw one. They came running to where I was, only about 200 yards away, and told me what they had seen. They didn't even know what it was. They told me "I would say that it was a mountain lion if I thought they were around here". Nobody believes them, but I was there right after they saw it, and they were white as ghosts when they told me. Also, I own a cabin in Margaretville, in Delaware County, and when I was up there last week, the whole town was buzzing about this next thing that happened. Apparently, a horse was found dead in Denver Valley, near Roxbury, half eaten. Nearby, the DEC also found a deer carcass 25 ft. up in a tree. Everyone that I've talked to up there knew about it, and they all said that the DEC confirmed that the horse was killed by mountain lion. So, gentlemen, start your mocking engines! Don't worry, I'm used to it by know when it comes to this topic.
Old 11-08-2004, 03:04 PM

And as always, where are the pictures. I heard of a calf being killed recently near Wellsville that was done by a cougar. If it happened there, the local newspaper would have a big story,,,,right? But all the locals know about it.

Quick Reply: Cougars in Southern NY State

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.