Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Cougars in Southern NY State

Old 03-20-2004, 08:14 PM

Default RE: Cougars in Southern NY State

Here in Northwestern NJ we have had several sightings over the past three years of Cougars. I hunt a farm where they have supposedly been seen although I have never saw one or even come accross the tracks. But the people who have seen them are very sure in what they saw.
bmott
Old 03-25-2004, 04:00 PM

Interview with NYS DEC
[link]http://www.recordonline.com/archive/2002/12/18/hynolion.htm[/link]
Old 03-26-2004, 07:49 AM

In all the time I've spent in the winter woods running dogs on coyote and fox in Northeastern and Central Pennsylvania I've never seen a cougar track. Typically were trying to make sure the bobcat track were going to try and run the dogs on isn't a big house cat! Viable populations of Moose will make thier way into Pennsylvania long before any natural movement of Cougar or Wolves into the area.

Juniorpc
Old 03-27-2004, 07:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

Any of you guys that said you had pictures going to post em?
Old 03-27-2004, 10:00 PM

Well folks (including Moose1915), I hardly believed it myself, but I was lucky enough to observe and videotape a living, breathing, large BLACK cat (cougar sized). This occured only a day ago and the documentation has begun being reviewed by the local DEC office. My first contact considers it valid with good documentaion. The sighting took place in Steuben Co. , NY.

So, as far as the "myth" goes, . . . I've captured one on video. I now know they are real. . . and I'm not sure I want to let my dog run loose in the woods anymore. Hey Moose1915, how does one collect that reward for proof you mentioned??
Old 03-28-2004, 07:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

Come on just one picture!!!!
Old 03-28-2004, 08:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

bring me the head, you'll get your reward[:'(]

and don't go to the zoo to get it, you'll get us all in trouble!
Old 03-29-2004, 01:07 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-30-2004, 09:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't buy any of it - not for a second. I wish we did have it as a possiblity - I'd love to witness a wild Cougar in NY - Its not going to be a realistic expectation in my lifetime - We are just TOO POPULATED!!

Maybe if everyone keeps moving South and West - The Cougars will come east??? - We can hope anyhow.
Old 03-31-2004, 06:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

Farm Hunter, I don't want to see a cougar. I could very well be the last thing you would see. I would love to see one of the pictures these guys are talking about. Come on you guys that said thay had a picture of a cougar in NY lets see it!!

Quick Reply: Cougars in Southern NY State

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.