Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Cougars in Southern NY State

Old 03-11-2004, 05:37 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-12-2004, 09:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Cougars in Southern NY State

I would like to see cougars, bear & elk in Madison county - However the DEC does not have the $$$, support, biological reasoning, or authority to do it on their own.

I'm not sure what the sightings are - but whatever they may be I'm pretty sure its not because the DEC is trying to control deer populations.
Old 03-13-2004, 02:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: alloutdoors

I thought it was alien abduction but after reading this it has become obvious, my boss at the office must be brainwashing me after I get back from stocking cougars so that I can't spill the beans.
Thats what i'm talkin about! You were obviously mind -erased by the legion of black pumacoogers!
Old 03-14-2004, 11:59 AM

I initially started this link because I believe that the DEC never released cougars. My concern is that Hunter Safety Instructors, who I believe represent the DEC, are informing kids that mountain lions are walking around the woods where they are hunting? To all people who represent the DEC, don't blurp out garbage if you don't know what you're talking about.
Old 03-16-2004, 08:34 PM

Since the NYS syllabus says nothing about panthers and their regulation...Guess we can just treat them like chipmunks...no bag limit and year round?
Well seriously...if one does see one can you LEGALLY harvest it?
Anyone have any input?
Old 03-17-2004, 06:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

go ahead and shoot it. its like an alien autopsy video, how can you get in trouble if no one will believe you really did it?
Old 03-17-2004, 11:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

NO
just like bear (where there is no bear hunting) or moose, or any animal with out a season - no hunting them
(at least that is my understanding)
Old 03-17-2004, 12:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

i wouldn't doubt that there are mountain lions. I Live here in Pa and they claim we are not supposed to have mountain lions either. My father has pitchers of a Mom and 3 cubs from 20 feet away he even took some plaster and took a mold of the track. We have reviewed the picture many times and have had many people review it. There is no way that thing can be a bobcat unless a bob cat weigh's around 90lbs and has a very long tail. I think the game commison releases these things and doesnt tell anyone because they dont want anyone to be scared.
Old 03-17-2004, 12:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

How about posting a picture deerslayer.
Old 03-17-2004, 01:34 PM

Last year, I had a friend who called the DEC to ask them about cougars being released in NY State. They replied that they did not release any. My friend then ask, if they don't exist, can I shoot one if I see one?. DEC then replied, why would you want to shoot an animal that is endangered? He said, No - you can not shoot a cougar because they are considered endangered. I'm serious about this conversation. My personal opinion is that the DEC does not release cougars. If they are here, I don't know how they got here. My opinion, people don't know what a large bobcat looks like in the wild and they think it a cougar. Sorry you naysayers, this is just my opinion and, as everyone knows, I've been wrong before.

Quick Reply: Cougars in Southern NY State

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.