Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Cougars in Southern NY State

Old 11-27-2004, 10:05 PM

Default RE: Cougars in Southern NY State

Glad you got the link to the Fourth Branch......every one should look at this picture, I know this story personally and there is much more to it. Look at the bite marks on the neck of the horse, observe the hoofs, they are missing shoes he had all before the chase and kill was made. there was a large puddle of blood at least 50 feet from where he died, that is where the cat launched at his neck for the death bite and strangle , his name was "Buddy" owners had him 14 years, he was in a small herd with 3 other horses, who also had scratches and were treated for SHOCK! Look how clean the edges are at the area fed on, the favorite part of a cougar kill is the drink of the fresh, warm blood. Coyotes are NOT NEAT, they make a big mess! Now to add this area has seen so many cats.......and there is not a deer to be found, or even a rabbit! By the way this horse laid dead not 75 feet from the road. visit my web site www.Trackincats.com
ORIGINAL: NY Outdoors

i may have found the before mentioned horse kill in the catskills with picks of the horse

http://www.fourthbranchofamerica.org/dec_cougars.asp

For obvious reason all state agencies will not state if they are here or not due to the liability of it.

if they don't know of it, they can't be sued for it when someones kid gets mauled. We all know the first time they state yes they are here and some kid gets chewed up that the parents are instantly going to scream ...... you knew it was there and did nothing.

I think we all agree that if these are released pets that they pose a greater danger from being raised around people and they should be taken out of the wild. It just amazes me that no state agency seems to get too involved with the capture of any of these animals if they are loose for that very reason. AND I'm not talking just NY

couple other interesting press articles

http://www.pressrepublican.com/Archi.../060920028.htm believe this to be northern ny

http://www.tristatenews.com/printer_2463.stm state college PA

sorry this one has two pop ups in it.......hate to post that but nice article, onieda NY, police involvement and statements

http://www.oneidadispatch.com/site/n...id=68844&rfi=8

if nothing else some interesting reading.

keep your eyes pealed when your out there boyz, you just might come accross something you thought you'd never see.
Old 11-30-2004, 11:33 AM

We usually set up a decent family sized veggie garden every spring.

normally we have rabbits in the area by what seems to be the hundreds. we have rabbit problems all summer long ....... normally.

not this summer. almost no rabbits and not one single problem in the garden with them.

normally you can look out over the field and see a rabbit some place anytime of the day. none at all this year. wood chucks either. normally have a few that reside in our fields up here.

deer counts way down from norm too.

could be with how much rain we had this spring i spose that many of the rabbit and ground animal population may have physically drowned with how much rain this spring brought as well as mid summer.

If anyone happens to locate a picture of approx 8 month old cougars.......please post one, hadn't found any on internet.
Old 11-30-2004, 08:35 PM

I am looking into getting some physical evidence of a cougar kill in Freedom NY.It is supposed to be by a farmer who had 3 cattle killed.After the 3rd ,he killed a mountain lion with a DEC tag on it.After calling the DEC,he was compensated for his 3 cattle and asked not to tell anybody about it.Information was released on the web by the farmer and as soon as I find out where,I will update all of you.There are supposed to be pictures of the mountain lion and the DEC tag.I for one do believe that the DEC has released coyotes and cougars without letting the public know about it.Insurance companies have lots of money and power and put pressure on them to get rid of the deer.The public doesn't know everything that the DEC does.In the 80's,we hunted in Franklinville NY and the DEC was capturing wild turkeys to transport to another state for I believe it was salmon at the time.That wasn't publicized was it?As soon as I get more info on the cougar,I will post it.
Old 12-01-2004, 06:30 AM

This is all the kind of information I keep hearing....do what ever you can to report this, especially for the non-believers! It is happening all over visit my web site www.Trackincats.com P.S. I only take information first hand followed from your leads, and if this needs to be confidential...it shall
ORIGINAL: mdrbowler99

I am looking into getting some physical evidence of a cougar kill in Freedom NY.It is supposed to be by a farmer who had 3 cattle killed.After the 3rd ,he killed a mountain lion with a DEC tag on it.After calling the DEC,he was compensated for his 3 cattle and asked not to tell anybody about it.Information was released on the web by the farmer and as soon as I find out where,I will update all of you.There are supposed to be pictures of the mountain lion and the DEC tag.I for one do believe that the DEC has released coyotes and cougars without letting the public know about it.Insurance companies have lots of money and power and put pressure on them to get rid of the deer.The public doesn't know everything that the DEC does.In the 80's,we hunted in Franklinville NY and the DEC was capturing wild turkeys to transport to another state for I believe it was salmon at the time.That wasn't publicized was it?As soon as I get more info on the cougar,I will post it.
Old 12-01-2004, 06:31 AM

and we've all heard the one about the 10 foot long Pike in _________________ resevoir that scared the divers working on the dam so bad they swore theyd NEVER go in the water there EVER AGAIN[/

Actually it was a catfish...not a pike . and I will never go back in that water again!! LOL
Old 12-01-2004, 06:37 AM

So are you saying......you work in the department of DEC, cause you said you would know?
ORIGINAL: Charlie P

Her's the article you mentioned.I know dave and he isn't a self centerd anything.
Henderson: Area cougar 'sightings' have no basis in fact
It would be funny, if it wasn't so tedious -- or insulting.
DAVE HENDERSON Outdoors
It's the rash of "cougar sightings'' in the Southern Tier at this time of year. The insulting part is when I'm questioned as to why I'm "hushing them up.''

Actually the reason I don't report them is because there is never anything even resembling proof.

I've been approached in several sports shops in recent weeks about supposedly "confirmed'' sightings of cougars, locally. In each case there are claims of proof -- but it's always the same: either a photo or first-hand conversation with a state wildlife employee. The stories always, always end when the photo is deemed false or questionable and the state wildlife employee either can't be produced, or laughs off the inquiry.

Positive proof of a cougar in Tioga County came recently in the form of a photo of a cougar chasing a deer, probably taken by one of those remote cameras that are triggered by movement. The photo was indeed of a cougar chasing a deer -- a mule deer, through ponderosa pines. The photo had appeared in a national magazine some time ago, noting a venue far from Tioga County.

Then there's always someone who shot a cougar locally and for some reason kept it quiet, but leaked to a buddy that it had an ear tag from some Rocky Mountain state. Our hero of course called the wildlife office in said state and found that, sure enough, those folks had traded cougars to New York for turkeys and grouse.

Western states don't, however, have eastern turkeys and certainly don't need our grouse.

How about the DEC official who admits that the state stocked a male and female cougar in each of three or four Southern Tier Counties? I hear that one a lot and it never goes anywhere. You don't live-trap adult cougars for export, and if the pair were raised from cubs, they'd be attached to humans -- not exactly what you'd imported as predators to cull the deer herd or coyote population, as variously described.

There may occasionally a released or escaped cat traipsing through the Southern Tier. But there is no mating population. Believe me on this; we would know.

I've lived in cougar country and can tell you that when they are around, you know about it. True, they are elusive, but they are also not the least bit tidy. A cougar kill is very messy and very noticeable. If there was a sustainable population of cats in this area, they'd each need at least one deer a week, and the woods would be littered with bloody kill areas.

If a cougar kills livestock, it's not only messy but territorial. The cat loses its shyness and becomes protective of the carcass -- even in daylight.

No, there simply is no population of cougars hereabouts. Then again, I have no credibility because everyone knows that I'm covering up for the DEC
Old 12-01-2004, 07:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

rabid, ill -tempered vampiric muskrats drink blood , too.
Old 12-01-2004, 02:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

No Dave Henderson said he lived in Cougar country not me. That's his article.
Old 12-02-2004, 12:41 PM

And that gives him the right to say what I have or have not seen right in my backyard
WHY?

he's not my neighbor and has not clue and didn't see what I saw. flat out

he did say the occassion released pet......I mean come on, how many released pet cougars are there. and if they are that......they should be removed.

so to blatantly discredit everyones sightings in one lump sum is quite rediculous for such a "respected" writer.

he's not respected by me.
Old 12-02-2004, 01:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

Ny to be honest reading your posts is getting old ok. When you get some real evidence let the world know.

If your seeing Cougars in your back yard it shouldn't be hard to get a picture.

Quick Reply: Cougars in Southern NY State

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.