Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

New Hampshire Coyote Hunt. (PICS)

Old 01-19-2004, 01:59 PM

Default New Hampshire Coyote Hunt. (PICS)

I posted this on the predator page as well .. but since I know some guys don't visit that page I posted it here to.

Went out Sunday morning before the Pat's game with my Dad and hit a few different spots in central NH. I used strictly mouth calls this trip and had better results than the tape's I've tried in the past. We hit 4 different areas and on our 3rd sit I called in this coyote from over 700 yards out. He came across a large field and was pretty hesitant. He couldn't make up his mind .. he'd come in 100 yards, then run 50 away. I worked him to about 60 yards to a river which was frozen over .. and couldn't work the call anymore for fear of getting busted .. he made up his mind to blow the area and started running on the ice up the river away from us so I hit the call to stop him, which worked perfect and I hit him with a hollow point 223 in the chest, it spun him around like a top 2 or 3 times and then he started running dead away up the river .. at about 160 yards my Dad finished the job with 1 shot from the 6mm. He was dead from the first shot, he just didn't know it yet.
I was using a Red Tail Hawk turkey locator call to imitate a screaming rabbit for about 2 minutes at a stretch, then would sit for 5. At about 15 minutes I would hit the coyote howler for 1 lone yip - howl... which was what I believe got the coyote we got to commit the last 150 yards. He was a 50lber.

This was the only coyote we did see, but on the way back to the truck at 1 set up we saw where 2 had come from behind us where we were not expecting it and must have winded our trail because you could see where they bailed. Had a great day with my Dad before going home and watching the Pat's kick the crap out of Indy!

This was a pretty good size coyote .. but bowhunting this year up in NH I had a pack of 7 come into some rattling .. and the Alpha male in that pack makes this guy look tiny! I hope to have his picture to show soon.

Old 01-19-2004, 05:02 PM
jf5

Default RE: New Hampshire Coyote Hunt.

Nice going Jay!! Kep the pic's coming if you get more. Been out deer scouting and seeing tons of coyote tracks. Also saw one cross the road at 1PM right infront of us!! Sure are alot around...
Old 01-23-2004, 06:13 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: New Hampshire Coyote Hunt. (PICS)

MA Jay
Live south of you in Brentwood and I am thinking of "taking up the sport" Have you ever done this at night?
Old 01-24-2004, 12:16 PM
Spike

Nice yote Jay,,Ive been trying to get up to our place in NH for the past month,just havent had the chance.I have a great area to hunt yotes,,but work is keepin me away.Im glad someone is out there reducing the yote #s.
Old 01-26-2004, 07:07 AM

Outdoor-

You defintely should give it a shot, NH is LOADED with coyotes. I have done it at night, not this year but last I did. I absolutely loved it. The things about night time hunting is setting up in spots with a good clear view, and if you use a light, make sure it is red lens and try to spot the coyotes on the edges of the light not directly in the focus of the beam. We tried with a white light for a long time .. and we'd call in lots of coyotes, but as soon as we hit them with the white light, they'd bolt and you'd never get a shot. We finally learned our lesson and only use red lens now. Let me know if you need any help or info to get started in our area.

I went out yesterday over in the Monadnock region of NH .. it was -10 with -30 windchill when we got out of the truck. We only called in 1 'yot but he slipped in behind us and we never saw him till he was in turbo mode. It was to cold to be hunting, but I had cabin fever and didn't want to stay in. Did see a lot of snowshoes and grouse .. and a couple of deer. Nnter and jf5, if you didn't get out yesterday .. you are MUCH smarter than I, it was brutal!