Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

NY's North Country Hunting

Old 01-19-2004, 01:46 PM

Default NY's North Country Hunting

Anyone here hunt the north country of NY. St. Lawrence Co. in particular. I have for some time wanted to try hunting for whitetail in your area. I have relatives in Ogdensburg and Potsdam, however they do not hunt. Was thinking about a canoe hunt in the Adarondacks or farm country with a guide. If any of you guys are intrested or know of a guide in the area let me know. Also if you know of any public land that is not to crowded with good deer population would be nice too.
Old 01-19-2004, 02:12 PM

Default RE: NY's North Country Hunting

There is the Upper and Lower Lakes WMA outside of Canton. WMA Link As well as the Brasher National Forest, around Brasher New York. The Brasher Forest and the Upper and Lower Lakes hold alot of whitetails, but the hunting can get pretty heavy at times. The Adirondack Park also extends into Franklin and Saint Lawrence counties, the Santa Clara Tract offers access to some public lands, though the deer population has declined there in recent years. If your wallet is fat there is the Lucky Star Ranch, not too far from Alex Bay.
Old 01-19-2004, 02:57 PM

Sag I have looked into the upper and lower WMU. I have some questions. 1 can you canoe through the middle of it during the seasons and 2 how crowded is it during the muzzleloader season?
Old 01-19-2004, 04:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

there is plenty of land in and around cranberry lake that you can hunt on, state land. also, if you want to canoe in and camp, try the far end of cranberry lake, plenty of space,46 designated camp sites, etc. should be good during blackpowder season.
Old 01-19-2004, 05:24 PM

I don't know about how heavy muzzleloading pressure is there. I will ask around. A buddy of mine turkey hunts the WMA and may know about canoe possibilities. The Brasher forest has a river flowing through it as well. I believe it is the Raquette river. The Brasher Forest, does have some public camping grounds. The Santa Clara tract of the Adirondack Park has the Saint Regis River as well as Lake Ozonia within it's boundaries. I know that Ozonia has a public boat launch, though certain parts of the lake shore are privately owned, much of it is open wilderness. I will look into the possiblilty of an outfitter that works the area. As Lee said Cranberry Lake is a beautiful place too.
Old 01-20-2004, 07:30 AM

How is the deer population around cranberry lake? I know it is not as good as the low lands but do I have a decent chance at a buck?
Old 01-20-2004, 01:36 PM

My buddy reports that U&L lakes WMA gets very little pressure during the early bow and black powder seasons. What there is tends to be concentrated in a few "hotspots" near the edges. Those that are willing to go a little deeper see alot of action. He said that the swamp/marsh areas are navigable by canoe, and that some hunters use them to get to isolated islands that can hold some pretty good deer. Sounds like fun.
Old 01-21-2004, 10:40 AM

I'm beginning to see a plan comming together for next season. Thanks Sag
Old 01-21-2004, 03:29 PM
Fork Horn

Reading your post has made me wish I was home- grew up around Plattsburgh, Station down here in Delaware at Dover AFB. Me and my dad and his brothers used to hunt parmider flats(sp?) and also go up river at Carrie Falls resivor to hunt the paper mill land. Beautiful place, always had a good breakfast every morning in Crannberry Lake....I think i need to go back.
Old 01-21-2004, 04:40 PM

djdkman,

Wait until spring! Deep Freeze forecasted for this weekend. NOOOO... NOT AGAIN!