Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

P.a AR's are'nt fair to everyone

Old 01-16-2004, 02:37 PM
Spike

Default P.a AR's are'nt fair to everyone

If Pa wants to have AR's thats fine with me I never was a trophy hunter to begin with.However there should be 1 set of AR's for the whole state.Not 4 points here but down the street you can shoot a 3 point on 1 side buck.Somehow to me anyway that just dos'nt seem fair.
Old 01-16-2004, 06:45 PM

Default RE: P.a AR's are'nt fair to everyone

If the whole state was similar in habitat, that would apply. A deer with 3 points on one side in the mountains may be 2.5 yoa while the same deer in farm country may only be 1.5 yoa. One of the goals is to get more bucks living to 2.5 yoa or better. I hope that made sense.
Old 01-16-2004, 06:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

It's not about fair! It's about managing the deer herd to be in balance with their habitat. Bucks in the 4 point area, on average, grow bigger antlers for their age than the rest of the state. plain and simple. Fair has nothing to do with good deer management.
Old 01-16-2004, 08:35 PM

I understand and agree with the different point restrictions. What I don't get, and really ticks me off, is that they are thinking about changing my area to shotgun only because I am in the same area as Erie. BS. I am an hour away from Erie, and way outside of any town.
Old 01-19-2004, 09:24 AM
Spike

If you really want to balance the deer herd make it 4 points state wide and get serious about killing does.Or better yet close buck season altogether and just shoot does.Of course this will never happen because to many guys need to get that buck every year to stroke there egos.
Old 01-20-2004, 01:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Shedman, there have been times in the past that buck season has been 'canceled' for the year....the same with doe, but not the same year. The info can be found at the PGC website.
Old 01-20-2004, 01:34 PM

Someone once told me....."be careful what you wish for"!
Old 01-20-2004, 01:47 PM

As the "average age" of hunters go up. The number of hunters per capita go down. And with the increasing urban sprawl....particularly in the Northeast....you'd better prepare for "more and more" restrictions. Not fewer! (And I'm not talking about the "point restriction"...that IS a good management tool! I'm talking about areas being "restricted" for either weapons types...or hunting...at all.)

Which is a very good reason that all hunters had better soon decide if "their segment" of the sport relative to the sport of hunting in general is "more important" to them......or "hunting in general" is most important.

All anyone has to do is read over the numerous Forums at this site....to discern all the petty bickering and arguing that occurs....among the hunters themselves. (Truth of the matter is....they will probably NOT learn.....until it is too late. That is normally the case!)

As far as I'm concerned...it doesn't even bear repeating again....the old mantra that is....."we'd better hang together, or we'll surely hang separately". Nearly every time "anyone" has suggested we "get our s**t together"....and knock off the petty nonsense....someone has to throw out....."if we can't even have discussions among ourselves.......(ad naseum). The problem is WE NEVER GET PAST THE DIFFERENCES IN DISCUSSION! And we seldom if ever agree long enough to organize....let alone actually accomplish anything.

So everyone continue to "discuss" to your hearts content.....while we continue to lose our traditional freedoms. Without concrete action.....it will get worse. And as the saying goes.......we'll keep right on "talking". (Heaven knows most will actually do little else!)

Dave