Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Hunting Private land?!

Old 12-30-2003, 06:41 PM

Default Hunting Private land?!

I live in PA.

I have been reading a lot lately about getting out and finding private land to hunt on. I find myself in a unique position in debates.

My father and uncle bought some land. It totals 750 acres of woodland. We did not post it. Many people hunt on it without permission. So far we do not mind.

This year we barely saw any deer.

Should we post it?

Should we let other's that are not fortunate enough to purchase their own land hunt ours also?
Old 12-30-2003, 09:20 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Hunting Private land?!

750 acres... WOW Give me Directions!!! Well I would post it, for the reason alone that you are liable for what occurs on your property. If you do not know who is carrying high powered rifles on your propert there is a definite cause for concern. All it would take is for someone to ask you for their permission to hunt on it, then that is your call. If you keep the unknown off your property you are protecting your own rear-end. Thats my take.
Old 12-31-2003, 03:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

I would never want unknown people just walking on my 750 acres and hunting. I would have to know who is there at all times if possable.
Old 12-31-2003, 06:01 AM

Two things I have to say.

The first is you know people hunt on the property without permission. Keep in mind that if one of those hunters gets hurt while on your property, you can be held liable. If one hunter shoots another while on your property, you could possibly be sued? Do you have insurance for this, probably not.

Posting the property tells others that they are trasspassing and should not be there. Now if they see the signs and go in there anyway, it's their problem. If something happens, you still could be held liable, but maybe not since they are trasspassing.

I would start a hunting club on the land, 20 guys, include yourself, farther, uncle, friends, etc, and let them use the land. Collect dues, get insurance, feed the deer in the off season, setup a camp, have fun.

T
Old 12-31-2003, 06:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

POST THAT PROPERTY AT ONCE. ALSO IF YOU DON'T LIVE NEAR THE PROPERY, ALLOW A LOCAL YOCAL TO HUNT IT, HE CAN KEEP OTHERS OFF IT. THATS WHAT WE DO FOR OUR PROPERY IN NEW YORK, ITS ALMOST 4hr. DRIVE FOR ME. IF YOU DO CATCH PEOPLE THAT YOU DON'T WANT HUNTING, DON'T CALL THE LOCAL GAME WARDEN SINCE THEY MOST LIKELY KNOW THE LOCAL TRESSPASSER, CALL STATE POLICE, AND PRESS CHARGERS. WE DID THIS YEARS AGO HERE IN NEW JERSEY, AND AFTER THAT NO ONE EVER CAME ON THE PROPERTY
Old 12-31-2003, 07:08 AM

Ditto BOWHUNTERCOP. Country Boy: you have something all hunters dream of. Don't allow people you don't know ruin it for you. I would heavily post the land. I have also seen signs that say "no hunting without written permission." That is also an option. Good luck.
Old 12-31-2003, 09:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

First, I hunt in WV mountains and have heard ALMOST EVERYONE who hunts there complain about how few deer they were seeing this year, probably due to last year's bad winter. I have also heard many similar reports from Pennsylvania. Also, my area has had ZERO acorns for two years in a row now (gypsy moths a few years ago, drought last year, late frost, etc. etc.). It is therefore likely that trespassing poachers aren't solely responsible for the reduction in your deer herd.

Having said that, yes, post it. There is nothing worse than having someone in your permanent stand on your own land when you go to hunt there, or having someone walk right by you to hunt during prime time on your own land, or even put pressure on your deer herd and make it harder hunting for you than it should be.

There is a sign company in NY (the company name is Voss) that sells aluminum signs for just over $1 apiece if you buy over 100. They'll last 20 years, unlike paper or plastic ones. I would post it every 30 yards or so, about head height. Use aluminum nails, and leave about 1/2" sticking out to allow the tree to grow without buckling the sign off it. There are other sign companies too, but that was the cheapest I found and everyone I've had check into it goes with them. If you can't find it by searching, let me know and I'll give you contact information...
Old 12-31-2003, 10:15 AM
Boone & Crockett

That cool I can appreciate your concern and unselfishness for allowing others the chance to hunt this land. I commend you for that. However, like the others stated I think you NEED to post it for liability reasons. These days you just never know. (your own personal safety as well). If you really want to spread the wealth of the land, try to connect with the people hunting it and form a casual club so you at least know who you're hunting with and where they are. Cover you butt first.
Old 12-31-2003, 03:22 PM

Country Boy, I hunt as a guest of the person who owns the property which is about 1000 acres. As everyone has mentioned put up posted signs. I hate these things cause as the owners son in law Im the one who makes certain that there up. As others have mentioned start a club and give out a card with the names of people that you dont mind hunt on the property. There are three of us who stay at the cabin. The rest of the folks around 15 are people who live in the area. A couple of them live so close that they come over on their 4 wheel Quads and just make certain that everything is okay as we are only up there ocassionally. One thing that make it difficult is we border on one side with a hunting club where almost all there members are people who only go there at hunting season and think they can hunt accross posted signs. Here we have had to contact the DEC folks who have come and made certain that things stay calm. DO NOT take matters into your own hands except to ask people to leave your property.
Old 12-31-2003, 03:52 PM

We have seriously considered posting it. One problem! Here in PA it seems that everybody thinks that a POSTED sign means "welcome to hunt here!" [>:] Also, 750 acres is quite a bit to cover, as far as "patroling" for trespassers. Especially since most trespassing would be done on opening day, right over the time that I would rather be hunting.

Also, while I have been on the property I find many fine folks hiking the trails. Sometimes with bird books and binocs. Sometimes out jogging with their dog. We don't mind if they're on, but then with what y'all mentioned about liability and such....

What we discussed is putting up custom signs that read,

Private Wildlife Management Area

No hunting without written permission
$200 Trespass Fee

Do you think this would work?
Any other suggestions?

Quick Reply: Hunting Private land?!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.