Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

sense a lot of hostility towards us who are fortunate enouph to hunt private land

Old 12-30-2003, 03:11 PM

Default RE: sense a lot of hostility towards us who are fortunate enouph to hunt private land

I love hunting public land and getting way back on the ridge tops, but unfortunately that isnt possible much these days, legs wont take it anymore, although I do manage at least one trip way back each year. I would truly love to find a big farm to hunt, especially in bow season but thats a hard and rare thing to find in this part of west virginia anymore, mostly due to people who could care less about a farmers land, livestock or fences.

I have been recently considering the idea of finding a hunting club to join but I wouldnt want to join something thats not fair chase or something that ismade up of non ethical type hunters.

I cant understand why someone would be jealous over someone being able to hunt private land.
Old 12-30-2003, 03:43 PM

Default RE: sense a lot of hostility towards us who are fortunate enouph to hunt private land

i have never hunted public land , i grew up hunting a parcell that my family had permision to post , i and a couple of freinds are the only ones who hunt it now . i also through my bussiness , have contacts with a few farmers and seasonal rental ( BUNGALOW colonys) that i have hunting acess . i have more hunting opertunities then i can use . i consider myself fortunate that i can keep my options open . some of the areas the land owner offered me acess without even asking him i was just complementing him on his beautiful land . and hes like do you hunt ! oh here we go again , more options . lol
Old 12-30-2003, 03:44 PM
Fork Horn

Quit bitchin about private land and BUY some like I did. Get your priorities straight!!!. You dont need a fancy car or whatever GET HUNTIN!! Go together with some huntin buddies and get some like I did if you cant spring for it yourselves.

I get more enjoyment out of it than you can imagine. Plus its a great investment (timber sales). I love putting food plots out and doing managment activities, scouting and putting new stands in its great fun.

But I tell you what,,,If you just cant afford it and you can do some hiking there are GREAT places to hunt on the game lands. (At least on SGL 36 and 12 near where I hunt) plus there are alot of public land around if you want to put the work in and find a new area to hunt)
Old 12-30-2003, 03:54 PM

Hey MikeE51848,
It's not hostility. Perhaps there is a tinge of jeolousy, I'd admit Are you kidding? You're PISSED!!! You're one of the people this post was aimed at! Give me a break. Just because I hunt on private property, that means I can pick and choose my Deer? ARE YOU KIDDING? My primary hunting spot IS on private property, but I don't own it. I have permission to hunt it, along with a TON of other guys. And the guy who hunted 10 days of gun, and shot a 90 lb doe the last day on a state forest, is more of a hunter than those who hunt private honeyholes and pick out which deer they'll shoot. You are one dilluded dude! Have you ever tried hunting a nice buck on a farm that has 18 guys pounding the woods, looking for Turkeys at the same time? Four-wheelers ripping around. Guys spotlighting and jacking Deer all year long! Don't tell me I'm not hunting! Among my peers, I'm one of the only guys on that property that actually HUNTS! Most of the neighbors get their buck before season, at night. These animals are "PRESSURED" to say the least!
If you're not satisfied with the land you're hunting, then move. I know there are a lot of guys all over who were complaining about this past seasons deer herds. My best friend hunts the same land and the same stands as I do. Between bow and gun he killed a grand total of 1 Doe! How is it that I killed 2 Doe and an 8pt Buck with a 15" inside spread during bow season and 2 more Does and another decent 8 pt buck during gun? SAME PLACE! And I'll bet you a day didn't go by that I didn't see someone else walking around while I was in one of my stands. All on "NOT SO PRIVATE" private land!
Don't have an attitude with someone, just because they're successful.
Old 12-30-2003, 05:32 PM

If you don't have access to private land you gotta get out there. Get out there in areas you think you might want to hunt and ask permission. The worst thing they can do is say no. My brother is a ginseng & mushroom hunter. He scouts areas (farms with timber) on maps and then goes out to talk to the owners. They almost always give him permission. Then he gets to talking to them about the wildlife he sees and then he mentions about hunting. Again, almost all the farmers give permission. Yesterday I hunted a large farm which isn't farmed anymore. This farm is about 200 acres with probably half of it in timber. I didn't have any luck but I had the pleasure of scouting a new area (lots of deer sign) and I have my brother to thank for it.
Get out there and get permission. There are many farmers who would love to have hunters take out some of those deer....
Old 12-31-2003, 07:13 AM

Go/contact your local regional game office. They should have a list of land owners w/ deer damage problems. They usually welcome hunters. Always carry a positive self-image. Confidence is key. Good luck.
Old 12-31-2003, 10:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

The bottom line is that you gotta pay your dues! Private land or public land can provide good hunting but both require some investment of time into your sport.

If I am hunting public land, and I do a lot of that, I look for remote, ugly inaccessable, steep areas where the average nimrod won't bother with and go there. I've killed many deer and some nice bucks in the ANF area and it doesn't get any more public than that.

Some of my best private land is available to me because I put a lot of time in making sure my landowners are happy to have me there. Sometimes that means dropping off some venison, sometimes it means stopping to just talk to em once in awhile, sometimes it means making sure I put in enough time hunting to get rid of some does for them when I might really rather hunt another spot for a certain buck.
When I hear a guy complain about no place to hunt, I can't help but wonder what kind of hunter he must be. If he just aint askin, he gets no sympathy from me. If his reputation is keeping him out, well, nuff said there.

Not long ago, Big Country and I met for breakfast after a morning bowhunt at a local restaraunt and this guy came up and asked if we were hunters (was the camo his first clue?) When we told him yes, he asked us to come and kill some of the deer on his property. We followed him home, walked his 5 acres and saw about a dozen deer including 3 bucks. Big country came back that very evening and shot a doe on video.

Now to the guy who hunts 1 or 2 days a year, doesnt scout, doesnt take the time to get to know some landowners and doesnt want to go where it's too far, too steep, too thick and is gonna have a problem finding an abundance of deer....

TOO BAD!!!
Old 12-31-2003, 12:39 PM

BTBowhunter-

AMEN!!!

I COULDN'T HAVE SAID IT BETTER MYSELF
(although I've obviosly tried)

J-BOW
Old 12-31-2003, 02:52 PM

I too hunt on private property. I haven't had too much trouble gaining access. You just have to stay after it. No sense bitching about it. I have always moved on to sometimes greener pastures if I found myself to be in a poor area. I can't hardly understand the concept of someone not trying to gain access to better areas. I'm always looking for another place to hunt.

J-bow

How is it that I killed 2 Doe and an 8pt Buck with a 15" inside spread during bow season and 2 more Does and another decent 8 pt buck during gun?
How is it that you can kill two buck and four doe in a season? I'm not allowed more than one buck in the Pennsylvania that I hunt....Jim
Old 01-01-2004, 07:52 AM

How is it that you can kill two buck and four doe in a season? I'm not allowed more than one buck in the Pennsylvania that I hunt....Jim
Hi Jim!
I hunt in NY, just over the border from the great state of Pennsylvania!!! A "Super Sportsman" tag up here gets you one Bow Buck and one Gun Buck! I recieved, legally, two doe permits. People can also sign over their doe permits to other hunters. A lot of my friends are lightweights and only hunt once or twice a season. They graciously signed them over to me, and I filled them. You can use them during gun or bow!

Thanks,
John

Quick Reply: sense a lot of hostility towards us who are fortunate enouph to hunt private land

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.