Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

PA - time to stir it up!

Old 12-30-2003, 05:03 PM

Default RE: PA - time to stir it up!

big country, you just left out one thing POACHING there is a lot of it. i know it goes on around here all the time! even though some people say that it doesn't effect the deer herd that much ,the amount that goes on is unbelievable ! and the wardens don't have the manpower to police it like they should,or they just don't want to ?
Old 12-30-2003, 05:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

XI, you are 100% correct. Poaching is huge in many parts of PA. And your county if infamous for it.

Where I hunt in Greene county we have to constantly patrol the property for road hunters. The guy who owns the farm I hunt has been to court 15 times in the last ten years, testifying to witnessing shooting deer from a vehicle.

The landowners in Greene county call the roadhunters "fayette cong". Every single guy that this landowner has caught and prosecuted has been from Fayette county.

Last year, we could see from our property line two electric feeders on the ground next to us. These guys from Connellsville bought 25 acres to hunt on. They were bowhunting within 30 yards of the feeders while they were kicking out feed. The game commission never even showed up?
Old 12-31-2003, 07:27 AM

I'm with Big Country and XIBowhunter. Hunter attitude stinks and every year there are poaching stories. When I spot-light w/ friends in the summer months, some places the deer stay and mill around and other places the deer will bolt even when the are 200 yards away. Also, many of my friends complain about Alts plan. Yet these same friends hunt the same "spot" every year which is 200 yards away from where they park. JME.
Old 12-31-2003, 08:02 AM

big country where abouts in greene county? i hunted in gilmore township during rifle season , on the game lands there ,not too bad didn't see any bucks there though , i'm kinda surprised that the poachers travel out there , i would think that they are lazy, and thats kinda far to go ,but i guess when you do something illeagal you go to any extreme . and those guys were hunting 30yards from a feeder and nobody showed up?? it just goes to show you that the pgc doesn't really care!
Old 12-31-2003, 10:35 AM

The deer herd does not need to be reduced anymore than it is at now. There
is not an overabundance of deer but there definately is not a lack of them
either. I think Dr. Alt and the pgc are doing a pretty good job with the deer herd
here in Pa. Those complaining about the lack of success in deer hunting need to
change something that they are doing. Either find a new spot, scout harder,
or hunt with more people so you can put on drives. Maybe even learn to hunt
with a bow or muzzleloader. The deer are out there and at a good enough amount that with some extra effort you should be able to get a shot at some.
Old 12-31-2003, 05:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

The hard is what makes it GREAT!
Old 01-05-2004, 07:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

I did not yet read the article but more often than not I disagree with Mr. Slinsky's comments and tactics.

However, I will say that the deer herd on the gamelands that I most often frequent in Lehigh County is significantly down in terms of overall numbers from previous years. I am basing this on personal experience with deer sightings while hunting this year as well as fellow hunters' reports.

Food is not a factor in this area as deer have more than they could possibly need...left over farm crops, natural browse in clearcuts as well as regular forest, etc... I have personally seen the reduction in numbers over the last two seasons since the rifle season went to buck and doe for the full two weeks.
Old 01-05-2004, 02:22 PM

And the biggest reason for low deer densitys in certain parts of the state....people like Slinsky and the Federated Sportsmen who truly want to end all bowhunting in this state. AT ANY COST!
No, I'm not a member, and how does this statement make any sense? And can you prove your comments about Mr Slinsky to me?

There are many areas in this state with an abundance of deer and many areas where there are not. Many of the people on this board who are not seeing deer are hunting state/public land in 4C and 3D. Personally, I don't feel I should have to drive 2 hours to Bradford county when I already live in a heavily forested area, just to shoot a deer. If that's the case, then the PGC's much sought after WMU's don't work, cause they're doing a poor job of managing the herd.
Old 01-05-2004, 02:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Not sure but I'd bet that BC meant to say UNIFIED sportsmen.

Mayb e they dont want to end bowhunting but there sure as blazes is a very active faction that has been working to cut the bow season drastically.
This gang is very jealous of the time we get in the woods, never mind that our success rate is still way lower than theirs no matter how much time we get to hunt. Actually, I bet many of em would just love to see bow season go bye bye.
Old 01-05-2004, 06:18 PM
Fork Horn

Mike you mentioned heavily forested areas. Is it mature timber for the most part.? Did your area have lots of deer years back???

I am not a biologist but if thats the case I know the answer..........years of overbrowsing+ mature forests= nothing for the deer to eat.... thus you have fewer deer.

Quick Reply: PA - time to stir it up!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.