Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

NY's Southern Tier

Old 12-19-2003, 08:08 AM

Default NY's Southern Tier

Does anyone on this board actually hunt in the Southern Tier of NY, like Binghamton, Owego, Elmira area? It seems like most of the posts are down-state or more to the North. It also seems like a lot of you guys are crying about the Deer herd! Where I hunt, if you didn't get a Deer during season, you weren't hunting! That's a buck and at least one doe during gun! AND a buck with the bow also! I live in Broome County, which isn't even on the map as far as big bucks are concerned. But like everything else in life, you get out of it what you put into it! There are so many Deer down here, the farmer who owns the property I hunt on(200 acres) had 15 D-MAP permits filled before bow season even opened. And everyone I know hunting the property at least got a shot at a buck during regular firearms season. We're not talking Boone and Crockett, but around here any legal buck will do once the real sportsmen hit the woods on the first Monday after November 15th! Yeah, I do prefer Bow-hunting over gun because it takes some level of skill and understanding. Plus you don't have to contend with as many idiots. Even so, your Deer will come if you have the patients to sit still and wait. Gun or Bow, it's all great just being out there. Especially in the Southern Tier of New York!
Old 12-19-2003, 08:20 AM
jf5

Default RE: NY's Southern Tier

Off course the hunting is good ! You are on 200 private acres in Southern NY. Not everybody has that avaiable to them.

(I am jelous!!)
Old 12-19-2003, 08:36 AM

I am hunting on 200 acres, that if you or anyone else asks, can get pemission to hunt on. I hunt four different areas, all of which have one thing in common.....ask the landowners, and you're in! These guys(farmers) want all the Deer gone. I'm doing my best!
Old 12-19-2003, 09:18 AM
jf5

Well, you should keep this thing for yourself. I am trying hard to locate private land in NYS for the 2004 season. If you feel like sharing....

[email protected]

Thanks
Old 12-19-2003, 10:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

J-Bow, I agree. I have hunted the Hornell area for the past 2 years and can't wait to get back there in 2004. In the past 2 years we have killed 4 bucks and a doe. This year I took a nice 8pt and a doe. I saw 80 to 90 deer in 8 days of hunting. Deer are every where. Yes, the farmers want them controlled with landowner permits and DMP tags. It's a great area of the country to hunt and there are some real slammer bucks roaming around. I don't mind driving the 450 miles from Vermont to enjoy some of the best hunting around.

. . . Rob
Old 12-19-2003, 10:18 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well I guess I'm doing something wrong then. I hunt 7f (cayuga county/Auburn area) This was the absolute worse hunting season ever for me. First time I got skunked during bow. And top it off I only got 1 doe during gun. Hunted my arse off for over 2 months. I did pass on 7 different bucks (small) during bow, but didn't end up taking one. I would say my deer sightings were about 50% less than previous year. That includes spotlighting fields at night. I guess it's different in different areas of the state, but around here.............ackkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk. It downright sucked.
Old 12-19-2003, 10:32 AM

Yo NYB,
We fish Owasco lake all summer and the tribs all Fall and Spring. I run up Rt 38 all year long, to Auburn and above to Ontario. Man, are you sure that your getting into the woods? It's an obstacle course trying NOT to hit them with a vehicle! Two years ago, I tagged out with the bow real early. I spent the next two weeks fishing the inlet, Dutch Hollow and Sterling Creek. I saw more 110 -140 class bucks from the road than even I could believe. I don't know exactly where you're at, but I've been knocking on doors in that area lately for permission. The whole Finger Lakes Area is ultra-rich in what it takes to grow Deer, and big ones at that. We all have bad years and it sounds like that's the case with you this past season. Don't give up because you are in a superb area.

Take Care,
J-bow
Old 12-19-2003, 11:34 AM
Fork Horn

You guys are all forgetting a few simple things....

1. Those counties are shotgun only...
2. Not as heavily hunted, because alot of downstaters (myself included) do not want to travel that far to hunt.
3. The western parts of the state are more apt and supportive of deer herds. Better soils, more farms, more open space, not as densely populated, not hunted as hard etc.. etc...

Just do everyone a favor....just because the farmer wants you to kill 20 deer because he has 20 permits, does not mean you have to!!!! Think of your hunting future as well as the next guys.

I am seeing it firsthand now in Jersey. Guys are telling me stories how they used to shoot 15,20,25 deer a year out of the area of Woods I hunt. Now there say there lucky to see 5 or 6 a season, let alone take a deer.

just my opinion.

Mike
Old 12-19-2003, 01:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

Has been that way in years past J-Bow. This year was just bizzare. I think due to last years winter for part of it. I think the biggest reason and listen up DEC is the zillion tags handed out with the new DMP garbage. Nuissance tags and being able to sign over your tag to your brother and then to his uncle to his gilfreinds neighbors brother etc.... is a joke. How many "nuissance" tags are really for the pupose intended? I'd have to take an educated guess at about 3.5 % the rest are handed around the community to shoot as many deer as possible. Dont' get me wrong I love the finger lakes and there are (used to be) some fine deer around. I'm hoping I'm completely wrong and it was just a fluke year for my land, but I haven't seen a lot of deer around all season during scouting.
btw you can find me on Owasco Lake about 7 out of 7 days of the week in the summertime.
Old 12-19-2003, 11:08 PM

Is that a beautiful little lake, or what? For its size, I prefer it over any other Finger Lake. And the size of the Browns she gives up!? AWESOME!
And yes, I agree with you on the D-MAP and the doe permits. Call the DEC and ask them exactly how many permits were issued this year state-wide. They'll give you a line of BS. Do you know anyone in Region 7 or 8 who didn't get two permits? Then they had the "First come, first served" permits. I didn't bother with them, but everyone I talked to walked away with another two permits, usually for a DMU that they had no intention of hunting.
Just the NY State DEC, doing what they do best.

Quick Reply: NY's Southern Tier

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.