Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

NY's Southern Tier

Old 01-05-2004, 10:17 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: NY's Southern Tier

Just because you can take 7 deer doesn't mean you will (have you ever heard of anyone doing that?? Me niether
I have. Two people I know did it this year.

Even with the percieved increase of deer being taken with the increased opportunities (increase doe permits, bow/muzzle tags, DMAP, etc.), the simple fact is that the deer take has not increased (actually lower).
Don't know where you got that from but this is from the DEC web site.The total take in the 2002 season was approximately 308,000 deer, and includes more than 128,000 bucks and nearly 180,000 antlerless deer. This is a new record high total harvest, and is approximately 9 percent higher than the 2001 take of 282,000 deer. The 2002 buck take is the second highest buck take recorded by New York hunters.

those who complain about the DMAP program, abviously don't know any farmers.
You're assuming there aren't you?

Congrats on the State Championship in Football. CF has a great program.
Old 01-05-2004, 05:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Charlie, thanks for the comments

I have to admit my wrong on the actual numbers (thanks for the correction), but all of what I heard from this year (from the "experts") said the overall kill was down. I think what I was really thinking of or meant was that the deer population is not getting any smaller and we need to be harvesting more deer.

I still stand by the DMAP comments. Either they don't know, don't care, or are simply jealous. They are needed and probably under-issued.

We ought to post a question on the NE forum and see just how many NYers harvested 7 deer. It would be interesting to se the results (maybe it's more than I think, but still generally uncommon).

Thanks about the football. It was something to watch. My brother was the starting Off/Def end. Amazing season.
Old 01-08-2004, 09:15 AM
Boone & Crockett

Just saw that your Bro was voted all state as a jr. Congrats.
Old 01-08-2004, 04:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

Just because you can take 7 deer doesn't mean you will (have you ever heard of anyone doing that??
ummmmmmm yes unfortunately I hear more that do than don't.

Whatever you may think about the DEC, they do know what they are doing and there is a reason for the number of permits they issue (the deer herd is TOO large).
The money is too good!!

Even with the percieved increase of deer being taken with the increased opportunities (increase doe permits, bow/muzzle tags, DMAP, etc.), the simple fact is that the deer take has not increased (actually lower).
What stats are you looking at?? Have you checked the harvest reports over the last 3 years????

I personally know many farmers (i work with them) and many have serious problems with deer damage. And the permits are not generally abused.
Yeah ok!!

NYBowhunter - I don't know where exactly u hunt, but my buddy hunts just south of the hamlet of Owasco and they had an excellent year. They got 2 wall hanger bucks, another buck, and a 3 or 4 doe 9and saw many more).
Well goodie for them. Are you telling me I don't know my deer herd over the last 16 years of hunting them around here??? please I spend countless hours scouting. I know what I know.

what, no additional comments??
I thought my thoughts might stir something up?
Plenty of additional comments. Just haven't seen the post yet.
Old 01-09-2004, 06:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

NYB -

you hear of MORE that take 7 deer than don't??? - that is a crock; I'll concede that it abviously does happen but is no way overly common, I personally have never heard of any one person filling all their tags. If I could fill all my tags I definitely would and wouldn't feel bad about it.

I already was corrected and admitted my wrong on the deer take, but thanks for correcting me again.

I didn't say you don't know "your" deer herd. Simply stating the FACTS about my friends camp in Owasco. Maybe "your" deer herd was over there? By the way those deer were taken on his 30 parcel and it was probably the best year they have ever had, next year they may not see any deer - that's just the way deer hunting is sometimes.

Charlie P - thanks on the football end, it is pretty awsome, they'll have a lot to live up to next year, maybe we can schedule Vestal for a sure win, lol :-)

Gotta love this website - gets good conversations going.
Old 01-09-2004, 07:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

already was corrected and admitted my wrong on the deer take, but thanks for correcting me again.
Glad I could help.

you hear of MORE that take 7 deer than don't??? - that is a crock;
really??

To be honest with you the only people that benefit from the extra tags are poachers. Think about it. Who in the world needs to shoot 7 deer in one season?? You yourself said "nobody" fills all 7 tags. So why give them??? Gives the poachers more tags to turn more deer in legal now.
Nuissance tags I have a problem with too. I don't have a problem with the concept of them. Of course I wouldn't want any hardworking farmer to lose a lot of mony due to deer damage. But the way they hand them out like cotton candy is a joke. You know how easy it is to get them??? Maybe they should evaluate who's filing for them and what kind of damage there is. It' a joke. I could pick up the phone right now and get some tags headed my way in about 15 minutes. To be blunt with you. 90% of these "nuissance" tags are handed out to redneck yahoos to go sling some lead and see how many they can drop. You're blind if you can't see that.
So all in all DMP and Nuissance tags are a detrement to hunting in NYS. Promote poaching and give the yahoos 5,10,15 more slugs to be slinging in the air.
Old 01-09-2004, 09:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: NY Bowhunter
To be blunt with you. 90% of these "nuissance" tags are handed out to redneck yahoos to go sling some lead and see how many they can drop. You're blind if you can't see that.
I really don't see it that way and the farmers I talk with say it is a pain in the neck to get enough permits or sometimes any at all. Different regions/DEC agents may make a difference. I guess for the most part we will have to agree to disagree
Old 01-09-2004, 09:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

[/quote]
Think about it. Who in the world needs to shoot 7 deer in one season?? You yourself said "nobody" fills all 7 tags. So why give them???
They give the permits becuase we are controlling the deer population (at least trying). Personally I wouldn't have much problems using 7 deer. Between family & friends, parties, hunting camps, jerky, sausage, etc. It would be gone. We have 5 in the freezer now, don't worry it won't go to waste. There is also a good thing called the venison donation program - if you get 7 deer but can only use 4 - donate the meat to the progarm.

again - agree to disagree
Old 01-09-2004, 01:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was born and raised in Steuben county (have moved away but return each fall for archery or gun or both). The hunting is good, although, this last year basically sucked...IMO. Areas around Hornell, Bath, Corning, and Prattsburg (a little further north) have lots-o-deer with some nice bucks scattered. Even some of the Wildlife Management Areas are good. I've hunted (bow and gun but prefer bow) Erwin alot and been successful. It totals about 2600 acres I believe. You could do worse.
Old 01-09-2004, 02:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

[8D]I believe we one a state title a few years before you did? On bad season in quite awhile and you want to jump on us. Good thing you guys one this year or we would have to start calling you the Buffalo Bills.lol[8D]

Quick Reply: NY's Southern Tier

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.