Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

NY's Southern Tier

Old 12-21-2003, 11:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: NY's Southern Tier

NYflyer, I believe if you contact the DEC they will get you in contact with farmers that will let you hunt thier land. They have a list I believe.

You hunt bow and gun? Keep in touch.

I've never ice fished the Susquehanna because I really don't feel comfortable with moving water under the ice I stand on
You remember a few years when those guys took the ride down the river on that slab of Ice? I walked out there that morning and knocked a whole in the ice turned around and left. You couldn't even get your lure to the bottom because the ice jammed above Murphys Island and sent all the current one way. I don't know what those guys were thinking. Two other guys I fish with did the same thing and left.
Old 12-21-2003, 06:56 PM

BuckAlley,
I know different DMU's have different Deer densities! I simply made a point about an area that I know has a good herd! Or at least it did over the Summer when we were driving through it every weekend. And YES, I know Deer patterns change from Summer to Fall. You're not the only guy that I've heard from about how "Strange" this past season was. I had a good season.....what can I say? I thought the rut was intense, at least in my area. The weather was good for a change. Opening of gun sucked, but that's never bothered me. They were still chasing right up to Thanksgiving, when I finished up. I know they issued too many doe permits this year, but that should affect next years herd, not this years. I don't know why your area was devoid of Deer! If I owned all the property that I hunt on, I'd invite all you guys to hunt it! I've been working on a system that will almost guarantee me six lucky numbers any time soon now! I'll keep ya posted!
Old 12-22-2003, 06:37 AM

HEY YOU GUYS....WE TRY TO KEEP IT QUIET ABOUT THE NUMBER OF DEER IN THE SOUTHERN TIER!
Old 12-22-2003, 08:29 AM
Typical Buck

Im in 8h. I saw plenty of deer this year. I saw a good amount of bucks, and had excellent results on the pictures from my cam I had set up. One thing I noticed, was that the rut at least in my area was not as noticeable as in past. Everywhere I went, people said the rut was going to be strong, but I just didnt see much if any of it.
Old 12-22-2003, 10:41 AM

We fished three Finger Lakes(Western) Tribs yesterday. Deer tracks out the kazoo. Then coming back from Bath to Binghamton, we must have seen 200 Deer along the way, in the fields off Rt17. Quite a few dead ones on the road also.
Old 12-22-2003, 12:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

J-bow,
My sources tell me there's a good run of rainbows right now in the Owasco Lake Inlet. Drifting egg sacks and killing some good sized lake run bows. I may try to get up there this weekend.
Old 12-22-2003, 10:18 PM

NYB-
Stay out of my favorite run or I might have to pull my filet knife on ya! (just kidding)
I'm off Christmas week so I'll probably stop off there, Cayuga Inlet and Grout Brook on the way back from Oswego and Jefferson Counties......the Salmon River, Oswego River and any other little trib that looks good.
Plus I have to fit time in to scout two more properties I've gotten permission to hunt next Fall.
Yeah, there is life after Deer Season ends! Maybe we'll see you up around Moravia. Do you ever get up to Ontario for Steelhead or Browns?

J-BOW
Old 01-04-2004, 10:22 AM

J-Bow, Im new to this forum and read your from The town of Maine.Just wanted to say I was up there last weekend checking out property in Newark Valley right around the corner from Maine.There must be plenty of Deer up there,I seen tracks everywhere,counted a lot of rubs.Sounds like you do well out there in huntin season. Mike
Old 01-04-2004, 12:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just a few points (about hunting - not fishing??)
I am from the southern tier and hunt in chenango county. We had a good season (i guess) - three nice doe, however we probably should have had more, just couldn't see the deer (they were there, as was evident from all the tracks - I mean there were a ton of tracks all season) but the deer all seem to have been running at night and at places where we weren't. I saw several deer (4-6) up close (actually too close to shoot - couldn't get them in the scope as they were trotting by) and many more. Bow season was a different story, didn't get out much, didn't see much (passed up a nice doe and saw a nice buck and that was about it - still fun). Did not see one buck during gun season, however there were a few nice ones running around (I saw a large track and friend saw a huge deer - probably a nine point and we found a dead 7 pt, 17.5" spread on our land (damn!!!). All this said, it was a successful season and most I talked to had good years, however some did not (that's hunting, isn't it???)

about the DMP and number of deer that can be taken - the changes that the DEC made are beneficial to both the deer herd and hunters. Just because you can take 7 deer doesn't mean you will (have you ever heard of anyone doing that?? Me niether. Whatever you may think about the DEC, they do know what they are doing and there is a reason for the number of permits they issue (the deer herd is TOO large). There have been many year's when our groupo has gotten only one or 2 doe permits and other years when we have had 8 or more. Roll with the punches. Even with the percieved increase of deer being taken with the increased opportunities (increase doe permits, bow/muzzle tags, DMAP, etc.), the simple fact is that the deer take has not increased (actually lower). Less and less hunters means the people that do hunt will have to take more deer to keep the herd in check or eventually mother nature will do it for us and then we will have a hard time seeing deer in the woods.

those who complain about the DMAP program, abviously don't know any farmers. I personally know many farmers (i work with them) and many have serious problems with deer damage. And the permits are not generally abused. One farmer I know gets several every year and may or may not use all of them every year. But lo and behold there are more deer the next year, and the next, and the next.... get my point. They may take 10-15 deer and they still have problems. Also, my uncle (Otsego Co.) lost an entire pumpkin crop to deer (several thounsands of dollar lost!!!) and all he could do is watch as they ate the pumpkins (he did get some nusiance permits but not enough and it was too late). DMAP are necessary and are not given out willy nilly. Each case is reviewed and in most cases the farmers could probably use more.

NYBowhunter - I don't know where exactly u hunt, but my buddy hunts just south of the hamlet of Owasco and they had an excellent year. They got 2 wall hanger bucks, another buck, and a 3 or 4 doe 9and saw many more). I hunted with them one weekend and saw the biggest buck I have ever seen (there it was, there it wasn't!!! - boy I was sick that I didn't get a shot). Shows how much difference there can be in a close prroximity.

Sorry for the long post, but I thought these things needed to be said.
Old 01-05-2004, 09:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

what, no additional comments??
I thought my thoughts might stir something up?

oh, well........

Quick Reply: NY's Southern Tier

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.